Clearing 7nm for the Unrestricted Climb with an Odometer?

Bearfoot

Yup, the Tomcat is not an SUV, I know! But when I drive one (the SUV not the Tomcat), I would use the odometer to telll me when I have cleared a particular distance. What do you use on a Tomcat??

After the 10 degree clearing turn, I now just sort of tootle along the carrier heading for, I dunno, "several" seconds before going, "I guess it's OK now??" and then doing the unrestricted climb.

Of course, nobody stops me or pulls me over.

But to get it Right, just for my own self-satisfaction, how do I know I have traveled 7nm (or ballpark)?

What he said. It's the same in the Hornet. Here's a tutorial for it:

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

Ah, thanks all!

I use the TACAN a lot to go somewhere. It never occurred to me it could help get away (correctly) from somewhere!

its a great and simple bit of tech

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Well if your speed is supposed to be 250 Knots inside 7NM, and you want to go 7 NM.........There's always good old math...

Sure. I guess I could also use maths for bomb release, given that we know our altitude/speed/angle distance and reasonable assumptions about the bomb as a Newton extensionless object. But it's good to have back-up instrumentation .... ;) ;) ;)

Well if your speed is supposed to be 250 Knots inside 7NM, and you want to go 7 NM.........There's always good old math...

Correct my if I wrong :

- 120 knots = 2 miles per minute

- 180 knots = 3 miles per minute

- 240 knots = 4 miles per minute

etc :)

Many years ago I used only map and watch, keeping constant speed and course in VFR.

Correct my if I wrong :

- 120 knots = 2 miles per minute

- 180 knots = 3 miles per minute

- 240 knots = 4 miles per minute

etc :)

Many years ago I used only map and watch, keeping constant speed and course in VFR.

do we have a tas gauge anywhere?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

No speed limits for Case I departures.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

Thank you for clarifying this!

I was not aware that there was a speed restriction, but took @RustBelt's comment in good faith. Managing the 10deg turn at 250kts under 500ft etc. was a lot of boxes to tick. Nice to know I can just focus on altitude and direction for this ...

"Case I. Case I departures are flown during day VMC conditions (WX 3,000-5 or better). Once the aircraft clears the catapult and a positive rate of climb is established, the pilot will execute a clearing turn, climb to 500’ and parallel base recovery course (BRC). The Case I departure is flown at 500’ and 300 KIAS paralleling BRC until 7 DME. When directed, or at 7 DME, the aircraft shall climb VMC on course (Figure 2-1)."

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.