Hidden Base

Mike Busutil

For years I have been hearing rumors about a hidden base on the Caucasus map (Possibly other maps) and have seen a few hints or teases from Wags about it. I see it being discussed in FB groups and in the multiplayer chat.

For those of us that like to explore the map, can we get a confirmation from ED on the validity of this? Is there actually a hidden base or is it just a rumor?

If this is indeed a fact,could we get some details as to what it is without giving up the location? Is it a full base or simply a stick on a mountain top?

If it's just a rumor, a confirmation of such would prevent some pilots from flying aimlessly all over the map looking for nothing.

g7dOhsO.jpg

If you go to Marneuli (south of Tbilisi-Vaziani), there's an airbase there in SAT mode, but it only appears when sufficiently zoomed out, zooming in will cause it to fade out.

The Caucasus map is a weird one where the textures get less accurate and detailed the closer you go to them, and gets more accurate and detailed the further away you go - like a texture LOD but in the wrong direction.

It's not a texture issue, details just get lost as you zoom in SAT mode.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

If you go to Marneuli (south of Tbilisi-Vaziani), there's an airbase there is SAT mode, but it only appears when sufficiently zoomed out, zooming in will cause it to fade out.

The Caucasus map is a weird one where the textures get less accurate and detailed the closer you go to them, and gets more accurate and detailed the further away you go - like a texture LOD but in the wrong direction.

It's not a texture issue, details just get lost as you zoom in SAT mode.

Just checked that and yes, it's the airbase that is there in real as well. Guess they just didn't model that area anymore. High alt textures are probably kind of sat images that get swapped/blended by custom hand made textures as you get closer.

The real hidden base probably is connected to the Roki Tunnel, we just haven't found the illusionary wall to it yet pinkiepieexcited.png

And recently, I've seen someone land a Fishbed on that huge dam... he didn't try to rearm though rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Just checked that and yes, it's the airbase that is there in real as well. Guess they just didn't model that area anymore. High alt textures are probably kind of sat images that get swapped/blended by custom hand made textures as you get closer.

Mmm, to me though it looks like the SAT textures fades to a generic green texture, but you can definitely see that details and accuracy gets lost as you zoom in (if you go ~25nmi east of Maykop-Khanskaya, you can see that at least 3 towns and a major river are visible in SAT mode, that disappear when you zoom in). You can also make out a few other things like the airfield at Poti.

The real hidden base probably is connected to the Roki Tunnel, we just haven't found the illusionary wall to it yet pinkiepieexcited.png

:lol:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Pay special attention to where snark trails converge.

Good luck!

ah yes, Snark hunts. A worthy pursuit. Game on! :);):lol:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I know of one hidden base in the caucasus map.

It is.

LAT N 42-14-54.05

LONG E 42-37-23.45

and there is a even smaller one a bit north east of this location.

Used both for building small missions. Blue and Red used it for secret meetings :music_whistling:

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

I know of one hidden base in the caucasus map.

It is.

LAT N 42-14-54.05

LONG E 42-37-23.45

and there is a even smaller one a bit north east of this location.

Used both for building small missions. Blue and Red used it for secret meetings :music_whistling:

Very cool - I thought maybe you were sending people on a snipe hunt. :)

I just spent a few hours touring in the F-18 looking for sites (three bags) and checked this one on the way back. Neat little air fields.

Did you mean there is an additional field to the north east of the single strip closest to the town (another field besides the one to the top left of my HUD)?

Snipe_Hunt_1.thumb.jpg.7a62416417b7246dea43b80d76c2322a.jpg

Edited by reece146

Very cool - I thought maybe you were sending people on a snipe hunt. :)

I just spent a few hours touring in the F-18 looking for sites (three bags) and checked this one on the way back. Neat little air fields.

Did you mean there is an additional field to the north east of the single strip closest to the town (another field besides the one to the top left of my HUD)?

The one that is NEN from the first location has the following coordinates:

LAT : N 42 15 58.90

LONG : E 42 39 31.88

It`s only an air strip, but good for placing supply items and helis.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

What exactly is meant by "hidden"?

I wonder that as well. To me a 'hidden airbase' is something like the Swedish roadside bunker hangars. Apparently this is all about 'perfectly obvious airfields that are just not officially airfields in DCS'.

There's varying degrees of hidden I'd expect. The one I was talking about originally is truly hidden - as in you can't find it once below ~10k feet but it really looks like a strip from ~25k feet. If I get time I'll try to get some snappies of it.

There's varying degrees of hidden I'd expect. The one I was talking about originally is truly hidden - as in you can't find it once below ~10k feet but it really looks like a strip from ~25k feet. If I get time I'll try to get some snappies of it.

There's lots of those, just check next to almost every NDB.VOR

But that's not really a hidden base, is it? More of a map glitch, really. I mean, stuff somebody hides doesn't become more visible at range, usually, that's not how it works.

Well, for those of you who haven't seen it yet:

Perfect secret - it's so damn obvious that you wouldn't take it for real rdlaugh.png

Hats off, that DOES take skill ! :thumbup:

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB