Operation Black Bear - A 10 mission campaign for the JF-17 Thunder

The Second Russian Civil War

Operation Black Bear

In the 1993 Russian constitutional crisis, President Boris Jeltsin attempted to crush the Highest Soviet by laying siege to the Russian White House. While the Siege itself was successful and the house taken, many Soviets managed to escape Moscow and spend the following years rallying forces and support in the outlying regions of Russia with the ultimate aim of crushing the Capitalist regime in Moscow once and for all.

With the casualties from Russian invasion of Georgia and conflict in Chechnya making Putin's rule more unpopular in many parts of Russia as well as effects from the 2007-2008 financial crisis in the United States, many Russian Citizens long for a return to the old ways, lending further support for the Soviet leaders in hiding.

November 2013, they make their move triggering a coup with military support. The coup however fails due to overwhelming support for Putin in the west and north of Russia. The Soviets fall back to their heartland of central and eastern russia and prepare to take power the long and hard way. The Second Russian Civil War has begun.

You are a pilot from Kuban Private Security, a PMC established in 1999 to sell air support services to clients all over the world.

You and your colleagues have been enlisted by the state to provide air combat services in the war against the Soviet Insurrection.

Key Features:

• Fly the JF-17 Thunder in defence of the Motherland against those who would return it to darker days.
  • Preform ten missions such as combat air patrol, anti-ship, low level attack and deployment of precision munitions against a large variety of targets.
  • Work together with the Russian Air Force and your co-workers in Kuban Security to bring peace to the Black Sea Region!

Download link:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319981/

Runway.jpg

SochiStrike.jpg

Splash.jpg

Wingmen.jpg

Edited by JonathanRL

signature.png

Thanks, will give it a try soon, as I’m still learning the weapons of the JF-17.

Edit: OK, I downloaded it .. but I didn't like your suggestion of placing it within the DCS program's files as it would be very easy to lose it during a DCS Repair, so I placed it on Saved Games/Missions/Campaigns/en/ so that it appears under "My Campaigns" rather than under "JF-17", like this:

WcMWWgN.jpg

The first mission seems well done, tough I have not flew it trough yet. Only complaint would be that all the enemy forces are visible on the F10 Map, so I will probably edit the mission to have them not visible.

I did have trouble with the Viggen livery .. I placed it on /Saved games/liveries/AJS37/ as I don't want to save user content on the DCs program's folder, but on the first mission the Viggens are with the default swedish skin ... however, if I edit the mission, your skin does show on the liveries list, but I have to manually update the viggens to use it .. strange :(

Anyway, these are all minor issues and I'm glad to see content for the JF-17 starting to appear on this Site's Users Files :)

Best regards,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Only complaint would be that all the enemy forces are visible on the F10 Map, so I will probably edit the mission to have them not visible.

If you have Fog of War settings, keep in mind that the AWACs will share its view on the F-10 Map. Set your F10 Map settings to allied only to avoid seeing enemy planes in your options.

ZQutQwM.png

The Splinter is a confirmed bug. I think it may be because I used a stand-in skin until I got the revised splinter skin from Iko. My bad and I will upload a fix.

EDIT:

Fix is now live; Active file should be the 1.1 version.

Edited by JonathanRL

signature.png

.. Set your F10 Map settings to allied only to avoid seeing enemy planes in your options.

Hello,

That is a global setting that would apply to all of my missions, it isn't convenient for me, as a large percentage of my flight time is while testing and debugging my own missions, so I prefer to set it into the options of just each mission that needs it. No biggie, I will fix this quickly using the Mission Editor.

The Splinter is a confirmed bug. I think it may be because I used a stand-in skin until I got the revised splinter skin from Iko. My bad and I will upload a fix.

EDIT:

Fix is now live; Active file should be the 1.1 version.

Thanks a lot, I will update it now and comment later :thumbup:

Greetings,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 weeks later...

Hey JonathanRL - thanks again for another campaign. Enjoyed yours Viggen before - now I'm sure I will like flying JeF.

However - little issue with mission 2. Bridge is destroyed, but the mission seems to be not completed. I'm getting the message "...you may RTB", but it doesnt take me to the 3rd mission. I've tried several times and still nothing.

:helpsmilie:

regards

Intel Core i7-12700K CPU @ 3.61GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTC 3060TI, X-56 HOTAS, Triple TM MFD Cougar custom built LCD set, TrackIR 5,

Campaign Progress

Hello there,

are there specific targets to accomplish besides the normal one. Because after finishing a Mission the percentage progress of the Campaign is not very high. After the second Mission you have no chance to come to the third mission, because the Campaign repeats the second mission.

In Mission 2 i destroyed the Bride as well as the Helicopter...

Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings

Kurothas

Looking into it tomorrow at the latest.

Since you get the message, I assume you are using GBU 16. Sadly, using the GBU 16 is required since bridges cannot be targets for triggers. So the mission complete relies on a GBU 16 landing at the bridge.

EDIT:

Download 1.2 and replace ONLY MISSION FILES. That way, you should not lose your progression. Report back if this does not work.

Edited by JonathanRL

signature.png

Hey JonathanRL,

Replaced missions with new files, tried again with that bridge - and the same result. Looks like bomb is in zone, getting the message "good job - RTB", but still no progress to next mission.

best regards,

Intel Core i7-12700K CPU @ 3.61GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTC 3060TI, X-56 HOTAS, Triple TM MFD Cougar custom built LCD set, TrackIR 5,

Hello together,

i will have a try but i think, that it is just because there is a Problem with the first Mission.

After finishing the first Mission the percentage of mission success are not very high. So it seems that there is an issue. Usually there should be a 100 percentage rate after finishing the first mission.

Maybe the issue is in DCS because of the low percentage of success???

Greetings

Kurothas

Hi ! Something strange : the archive contains an archive which has the same content ?

Do you like redundant redundancy ? ;)

More seriously, I played the first mission and it is a lot of fun !

However, a few suggestions if I may :

- hide the enemy units on the map

- add the frequencies on the briefing for the wingmen and the AWACS

Thanks a lot for your work !

EDIT : I'm stuck in the second mission : I destroyed the bridge, then landed in Anapa, but I couldn't validate the mission.

The problem comes from the fact that the first trigger that gives the player 50 points starts after one second. Which is too low : sometimes, the game doesn't trigger it, for some reason. I changed it to 100 secons and it works.

Edited by ikaruga

- hide the enemy units on the map
This I always leave up to the player. If people want to fly with Fog of War or similar, that is their option.

sometimes, the game doesn't trigger it, for some reason. I changed it to 100 seconds and it works.
This would explain why it works in internal testing and for my beta testers; we all have pretty powerful rigs but some rigs (like my previous one) stutters on the first seconds. Will look into this and hopefully publish a fix soon:ish.

Do you like redundant redundancy ?
I was in a hurry to fix 1.2 :)

EDIT: 1.3 is now uploaded.

* Tried setting the time for 30 seconds before mission base score trigger sets. Hopefully this should prevent any launch mission stutters from interfering.

* Added Radio Channels to briefing. Thunder will always be on 243. Bolt will always be on 305. AWACS will always be on 243.

Edited by JonathanRL

signature.png

Another bug on mission 3 : after the bombing, the mission score becomes 100. However, a few minutes after, the score went back to 50 for some reason, preventing me to validate the mission ...

Also, you can technically complete this mission without firing a single weapon by jyst passing over the airport and going back home...

Edited by ikaruga

Also, you can technically complete this mission without firing a single weapon by jyst passing over the airport and going back home...

Not technically a bug as the mission parameters are set to just give you time to wreak havoc on the airbase but assigning a specific target was against the entire idea of the mission.

Another bug on mission 3 : after the bombing, the mission score becomes 100. However, a few minutes after, the score went back to 50 for some reason

This is the kind of stuff that makes me think "why on earth does ED have to insist on using the score system when nobody use it for branching missions anyway because that is too big a hazzel". I wish they just had "Win" "draw" or "loss". where Win is progressing and the latter two is replaying.

Will look into it.

signature.png

• 2 months later...

I finally finished your campaign !

It was a lot of fun, thanks a lot !

A little bit easy, though ... I finished all missions first try, and I consider myself an average JF17 pilot, at best.

A bug in mission 9, where you have to destry a bunker with glide bombs : there's been a modification with the JF17 loadout, the default one doesn't work anymore. You just need to change the mission loadout.

Finally, I didn't use the campaign system : I loaded the missions in the editor one after another and played them like this, since I 've had random problems with the scoring system sometimes not validating the mission.

Anyway, thanks for your work, I really enjoyed it ! Feel free to make more, I'll gladly play them !

• 2 weeks later...

Having an issue with the second mission. There's no WMD7 pod for the GBU 16s. Tried to manually load one and its not even on the list. Just ones for smoke.

Did a recent update mess with the loadout options?

• 2 weeks later...
Having an issue with the second mission. There's no WMD7 pod for the GBU 16s. Tried to manually load one and its not even on the list. Just ones for smoke.

Did a recent update mess with the loadout options?

Same issue here, no TGP on mission #2.

Even when using Mk84s to flatten the bridge yields a failed mission. Looks like the mission #2 bug is still there?

Edited by CrashEd

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I’ve tried everything to get past mission 2 in this campaign. Even if you CCIP the GBU16s onto the bridge, it claims that the bridge has been destroyed yet the mission fails. :dunno:

I’d be interested to know how the others got passed mission 2.

Either the campaign needs a serious rework, or a later DCS update broke it. Or both. It’s a shame as there are very few campaigns for the Jeff and this one had some promise.

I actually played the campaign outside the campaign system, by loading them in the editor, then playing them.

Good idea, I’m gonna do the same. Thanks.

Thanks for building and sharing. As a new DCS player this campaign was a pleasure to play as it allowed use of multiple systems and weather to really feel the progression of it all. Nicely done.

Did you get it to work as a campaign then?

Either the campaign needs a serious rework, or a later DCS update broke it. Or both. It’s a shame as there are very few campaigns for the Jeff and this one had some promise.
I will look into it. However, I got a job recently so I do not have as much time as I used to.

That said, I wish ED would just give a clear "mission passed" or "mission failed" instead of bothering with these god annoying points.

A little bit easy, though ... I finished all missions first try, and I consider myself an average JF17 pilot, at best.

The Campaign was never meant for more experienced players, just as a novel way to experience the Jeff systems :)

Did however find the reason for the loadout bug on Mission 2. I will try to fix as many loadout bugs I can this morning and upload a new version so that is not an issue at least.

Also noticed one or the other update seems to have reset the liveries on the Viggen. Will fix that. Mission 2 completion bug has also been given a new condition so it triggers a flag. If you hear that your bomb hit, that should now be the mission completion condition. Do note that using the GBU-16 is required.

Edited by JonathanRL

signature.png