The overview I’ve been waiting for!!! Phil Style!

Ya great video, like i posted on youtube my question is on the WEP and water injection and what octane she is using 130? If so in WEP i would imagine once you engage water injection she will get up to 68 inches atleast. Correct me if wrong im no historian.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Well he hit about 62" down low so Im pretty sure the water injection was on.

Doesnt look like the high octane fuel though, IIRC for the higher grade fuel Thunderbolts run at like 74" ish. Cant remember the exact number.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Doesnt look like the high octane fuel though, IIRC for the higher grade fuel Thunderbolts run at like 74" ish. Cant remember the exact number.

Thats low for WI on, with WI he should be hitting 64-65" a the very least.

the constant speed prop governor can be disabled. In a dive or in fast level flight this allows the prop to spin up to 3500 RPM or more and the MP gauge will read above 70. However, this is really bad for the engine AND it also means that as soon as you get slow in any maneuver, the prop will slow right down, which reinforces any airspeed losses. However, as said in the video intro, I didn't engage any engine stress testing in the video as the effects of it are still WiP.

Here's a low-res screenshot of the gauges with the CSP set to "fixed":

zagv2dE.png

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Thats low for WI on, with WI he should be hitting 64-65" a the very least.

Sounds about right. Im definitely not a Thunderbolt expert, and was going by memory, on both the specs and the video :P

Basically what I meant was it looks like WI is in and working, but not the 150 octane fuel.

Are you aware on how the WI works on the D-30? I read something in the N manual about it being automatic when you exceed 54 (?) inches MP. I believe in the older ones it had to be engaged manually?

the constant speed prop governor can be disabled. In a dive or in fast level flight this allows the prop to spin up to 3500 RPM or more and the MP gauge will read above 70. However, this is really bad for the engine AND it also means that as soon as you get slow in any maneuver, the prop will slow right down, which reinforces any airspeed losses. However, as said in the video intro, I didn't engage any engine stress testing in the video as the effects of it are still WiP.

Here's a low-res screenshot of the gauges with the CSP set to "fixed":

zagv2dE.png

Hi Phil, it wasn't meant as a criticism, and Im aware engine settings wasnt the point of the video. I'm sure you can reach some crazy engine settings by abusing the engine, but the 70" (+- a few) comment was in relation to high octane fuel.

Thanks for the vid, IMO the most informative preview so far.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Are you aware on how the WI works on the D-30? I read something in the N manual about it being automatic when you exceed 54 (?) inches MP. I believe in the older ones it had to be engaged manually?

I cannot be absolutely certain but there are no bindings for WI in the early access version or anything that looks like WEP, or emergency power.

I also cannot find anything in the cockpit that looks like a control for it.

For that reason I believe it to be automatic

Hi Phil, it wasn't meant as a criticism.

I didn't take it as criticism, no trouble :)

I cannot be absolutely certain but there are no bindings for WI in the early access version or anything that looks like WEP, or emergency power.

I also cannot find anything in the cockpit that looks like a control for it.

For that reason I believe it to be automatic

I didn't take it as criticism, no trouble :)

Usually its a switch on top of the throttle lever. The gauge for the system pressure is just to the left of the fuel warning light in the pic you posted

9./JG27

About weapons, ED has show some bombs and rockets:

-AN-M64 500 lb bomb, Show on P-47 youtubers videos and P-51D.

On EDM directory

-M-8 rockets with triple Rocket Launcher 4.5 inch.

-AN-M30A1 100lb bomb.

-AN-M57 250lb bomb

-AN-M55 1000lb bomb

-Drop tank 250 Gal

-Drop tank 108 Gal

-Drop tank 105 Gal

Other bombs (surelly to B-17 and other bombers)

-AN-M69 WP incendiary bomb

-Cluster Adapter, E6R2

Hi guys,

I started recording the dogfight video last night... very interesting stuff.

I have found the Water injection button now, thanks for the help. The button does depress (it is spring loaded, so has to be held in the "on" position, it can then be "locked" into the on position if needed with another binding).

However, I see NO change in MP or in RPM when the button is on. I've tried to use it under normal cruise settings AND with the aircraft at 62" and 2500rpm. Under neither conditions does the W.I appear to do anything.

The "Water Pressure" (assuming this is related to W.I.) indicator does not move, see image at the base of this post.

The manual states this:

"Water injection is controlled by a switch, which is located on the throttle. The switch opens a solenoid valve that transmits a mixture of water and methanol to the regulator. At the same time, the automatic boost mechanism is triggered under water pressure in the supply line and the mixture is impoverished to reduce fuel consumption. The water injection system is heated in flight by the engine heat, which prevents the system from freezing in flight.

Water injection occurs when the engine is running in War Emergency Power (WEP) mode. The pressure in the collector reaches then up to 64 inches of Hg, increasing power by 30%"

Anybody got any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?

If there a separate switch somewhere perhaps that acts as a master for this function?

Alternatively, it's possible that the W.I. just isn't modelled yet.

QDbR8Bm.jpg

Edited by philstyle

The D model could run 70 inches at 23,000 feet at the turbo's max speed of 18,250rpm At least that is what I got from Greg’s videos

our version has speed limit at 20k spped limit

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

18250 is the never exceed limit, dcs will have modeled the severe penalties to over rev and boosting the system. At least when it is incorporated

7976DF20-AB32-40D5-975D-6A644B582BD4.thumb.png.417bd491bc9d210c6fab2e59891cdf62.png

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Hi guys,

I started recording the dogfight video last night... very interesting stuff.

I have found the Water injection button now, thanks for the help. The button does depress (it is spring loaded, so has to be held in the "on" position, it can then be "locked" into the on position if needed with another binding).

However, I see NO change in MP or in RPM when the button is on. I've tried to use it under normal cruise settings AND with the aircraft at 62" and 2500rpm. Under neither conditions does the W.I appear to do anything.

The "Water Pressure" (assuming this is related to W.I.) indicator does not move, see image at the base of this post.

The manual states this:

"Water injection is controlled by a switch, which is located on the throttle. The switch opens a solenoid valve that transmits a mixture of water and methanol to the regulator. At the same time, the automatic boost mechanism is triggered under water pressure in the supply line and the mixture is impoverished to reduce fuel consumption. The water injection system is heated in flight by the engine heat, which prevents the system from freezing in flight.

Water injection occurs when the engine is running in War Emergency Power (WEP) mode. The pressure in the collector reaches then up to 64 inches of Hg, increasing power by 30%"

Anybody got any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?

If there a separate switch somewhere perhaps that acts as a master for this function?

Alternatively, it's possible that the W.I. just isn't modelled yet.

QDbR8Bm.jpg

Must not be modeled yet, once you hit the switch you should see water pressure increase and notice an increase in boost up to 64" Also max rpm should be 2700 rpm even without water injection. On the P-47N they had a switch behind/near the throttle on the left that could be used to switch the WI to manual or Auto, you could check and see if it's modeled in the D-30 for some reason (it shouldnt be as far as I know)

our version has speed limit at 20k spped limit

22,000 rpm is the maximum turbo rpm allowed but only for 15 min iirc.

Must not be modeled yet, once you hit the switch you should see water pressure increase and notice an increase in boost up to 64" Also max rpm should be 2700 rpm even without water injection. On the P-47N they had a switch behind/near the throttle on the left that could be used to switch the WI to manual or Auto, you could check and see if it's modeled in the D-30 for some reason (it shouldnt be as far as I know)

Thanks legion, very much appreciated :)