JF-17 Thunder Discussions

probad

Smoke of the BRM rockets would get inside the engine, and thats a big no no, basically because that means that you're going to kill the engine
Is that even modeled in DCS ?

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Is that even modeled in DCS ?

Highly doubtful, but it's the go-to excuse for skipping over proper simulation of many details and letting doctrine, rather than actual capabilities (and risks) dictate what happens in the “sim”.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

The oxygen is burnt during the rocket reaction, that’s why it’s there, to be burned

Yup so why does it seriously affect the oxygen getting to the engine if rocket motor isn't consuming any external oxygen? Is it simply that the exhaust pushes the normal atmospheric oxygen out of the way?

Yes, fun fact Only at certain altitudes/pressures is the expansion of gases “perfectly straight,” outside of that altitude the rocket loses efficiency, and the air can push the gas inward or outward depending on pressure. So smoke plume can vary in size and make it even more unsafe depending on altitude launched, just an example of something that has to be tested and thus risked.

You would think the exhaust issue could be solved with drop mounts which likely already exist for J-11/15, but with the fuel constraints of JF-17 it’s probably not a priority when either wing tanks or large PGM ordinance is needed there instead

Maybe Block 4 will solve this with conformal fuel tanks:)

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Well it needs the fuel, and double racks push the MTOW for Block 1 and probably add too much drag and weight for PAF, so they prefer the more fuel efficient longer range lighter load out I bet

Having lots of missiles is great, but not always as useful as being able to go farther and longer with two. This is controversial probably but there’s just not a lot of modern scenarios where you need to load up on a bunch of BVRs to be used in one sortie short of all out near peer war

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

It isn't controversial at all. It's the time-honored practice of fitting the aircraft to a mission at a specified budget ... which happens not to be airquake.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It isn't controversial at all. It's the time-honored practice of fitting the aircraft to a mission at a specified budget ... which happens not to be airquake.

Omg are you implying that DCS multiplayer is not a perfect representation of real world aircraft and capabilities????? The most important goal is NOT to shoot down the entirety of the opposing air force in one solo sortie????? :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

There are multiple issues that cause engine flameouts with missile/rocket smoke or gun gas ingestion IRL. The composition of air entering inlets does have decreased oxygen content but the greater problem is the effect gasses have on airflow through the engine. Turbulent air with a high particulate content (greater density) can cause compressor blades to stall. The particulates and gases are also corrosive and can stick to the compressor and turbine blades changing their aerodynamic properties. Both types of blades are after all airfoils with a designed operating range. Even small buildups will disrupt airflow, particularly in the high pressure stages. The combination of all of these can cause compressor stalls and sufficient build up on the one or both sets of blades can reduce the operating margins to a level where the engine won't run or will only run at reduced power and/or can't be restarted if it flames out.

Modeled in DCS? I don't have the foggiest but I doubt it. Hard to say what happened in the game. Wasn't your day I guess.

IIRC the first loss of an A-10A was during early gun firing trials. Gun gases caused a build up of residue on compressor and turbine blades that prevented adequate airflow through the engines to keep them running or to be able to be restarted. A controlled ejection followed failed restart attempts. I'm pretty sure the video is on YouTube.

The diverter vanes on the guns of the F-5E in DCS serve the same function. F-5 and T-38 engines have notoriously narrow operating margins. The T-38 flight manual prohibition against flight in known icing conditions is partially one result. (The bigger problem is an inlet that quickly accumulates ice. Chunks through their engines of drone heritage do nasty stuff. That's why NASA T-38s have "hot lips" for engine anti-ice.)

''Added movement and engine shutdown check during ground crew operations''

Does anyone know what it means? :joystick:

If I had to guess they put in checks for whether Jeff is moving and/or engine is shutdown while crew is doing something.

Gentlemen, Can someone please confirm whether or not the LSS and LST functions are working in multiplayer. Also plz confirm whether the JTAC function is working ??

Thanks and Regards

The last time I tried it was all working as it should.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze