Canopy tint

30mikemike

Hi guys....

Does anybody know if it's possible to switch the tint to non-yellow in beta 2.5.5. I know in 2.6 they've added the option but I'm staying with 2.5.5 till problems are sorted.

I remember there being a post about it a few months back where you simply deleted a 'rough_met' file but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Thanks....

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

In cockpit view? You shouldn't delete any roughmet files. Just modify a file called something like f16_cpt_glass_refl.dds or whatever (I'm not in front of the pc now, so sorry for the potentially inaccurate name). If you open it, you'll see that its right side is gold/yellow. Just paint that part in whatever color you want the canopy to look from the inside (try a grayish color to begin). You'll find it in a zip file located in DCS\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Textures\. Make a backup of the zip beforehand. You can open the dds file directly from within the zip with a program like paint.net, gimp or Photoshop (the latter needs Intel's or Nvidia's dds plugin).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

In cockpit view? You shouldn't delete any roughmet files. Just modify a file called something like f16_cpt_glass_refl.dds or whatever (I'm not in front of the pc now, so sorry for the potentially inaccurate name). If you open it, you'll see that its right side is gold/yellow. Just paint that part in whatever color you want the canopy to look from the inside (try a grayish color to begin). You'll find it in a zip file located in DCS\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Textures\. Make a backup of the zip beforehand. You can open the dds file directly from within the zip with a program like paint.net, gimp or Photoshop (the latter needs Intel's or Nvidia's dds plugin).

Sorry no it’s me getting confused. There was a post about deleting the canopy reflection roughmet file a month or so ago, that wasn’t anything to do with the gold canopy tint. My bad. I’m still getting the canopy flicking colours from inside the cockpit on Caucasus, maybe that was why you had to delete the file.

Surely must be a decent enough mod out there rather than having to actually paint the file yourself? Suppose it’s worth a go I guess....

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Sorry no it’s me getting confused. There was a post about deleting the canopy reflection roughmet file a month or so ago, that wasn’t anything to do with the gold canopy tint. My bad. I’m still getting the canopy flicking colours from inside the cockpit on Caucasus, maybe that was why you had to delete the file.

Surely must be a decent enough mod out there rather than having to actually paint the file yourself? Suppose it’s worth a go I guess....

There likely are mods, but that's how they'd have done it anyway. Btw, the file name is f16c_glass_canopy_refl.dds. Just looked it up.

If you want to get rid of the canopy reflections from the terrain etc, yes you should remove the roughmet file. It has the above name plus _Roughmet.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro