F-16 MFD Readability

USA_Recon

First off, I use VR, and it's a Reverb, so normally everything is rather easy to read, ie. no issues with the Hornet MFD's.

However, the F-16 has two major issues:

1. The font spacing - ie. radar lock - there is no font spacing. This makes it extremely difficult to read - as well as the font size is very very small. I have to zoom in just to see these basic radar numbers.

2. The MFD's are very dim, so on top of the terrible font size and spacing, the dimmest adds to the difficulty reading the MFDS.

I beg of ED to please address this. One of the items I was most looking forward to was the better contrast compared to hornet, but with this being so tiny and unreadable it's worse.

I literally woke up with a headache after using it last night for a few hours.

• Like 3

Why is this moved wishlist? Its a feature that needs to be fixed and effecting a great deal of people making the module nearly useless for other than flying around. Little more than a "wish" Its a module breaker.

• Like 4

GTX 1080ti FTW3, Intel I7 9700k 5.0Ghz Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370, Rift S

I am on here to search about this very thing. I can't really read the mfd's at all. Using a rift.. I am hoping the pit will be cleaned up a bit more, because even at 2.0 pixel density, the cockpit is very blurry still :(. I can handle most everything, but the mfd's are almost un-usable in their current state. This can't be a wishlist item. Adding my thoughts to bump the thread..

Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz, Asus RoG Maximus X Formula, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, EVGA Geforce 2080 Super, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2, 500GB Samsung Pro 860 SSD.

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Acer 23" x2, Oculus Rift S, FSSB3 Lighting

The MFDs are dim without VR as well. The brightness control doesn't seem to do anything.

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I do kind of okay with it in the og odyssey (PD 1.0, Steam SS 140%, MSAA x2). My suggestion though would not be to simply increase brightness.... but to increase brightness without "bloom". Bloom is the real readability killer imo.

Love the "Vipah" though ED!! Great work! I look forward to the updates :D

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

In the MFD's we need light colors into a dark background.

e.g White, red, blue text and white circles or light blue in HSD.

in near future with LInk16 implemented the HSD and FCR will be full of color symbols

all that must be well recognizable for better situation awareness and better F-16 realism.

Why is this moved wishlist? Its a feature that needs to be fixed and effecting a great deal of people making the module nearly useless for other than flying around. Little more than a "wish" Its a module breaker.

I've been wondering that ever so often on bug reports that I began to just disregard...

Without zoom you can't even clearly read the Viper's HUD on the Rift CV1... don't wanna talk about the MFDs other than saying there are just wome white bricks next to the OSBs. When zooming in, they morph into actual letters... the static reflections doesn't make it any better either icon_question.gif

Flying the thing is fun, but actually using it is hard. The Tomcat's HUD is a better primary flight instrument than those... the really stunning thing is that I can't blame ED, I guess they got the scales right, so it's bad by design in the real thing already. And the Rift does have a low res...

attachment.php?attachmentid=218863&stc=1&d=1570543185

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I suspect it has something to do with the reflection of the pilot they have on the mfds. I bet that layer is screwing it up and.making stuff dark.

I've removed the static reflections (from all other glass surfaces as well) and while it is a little better, it's not brighter. I haven't touched the alpha layer though, I'll increase the transparency (I think the default is 93%) tonight and report back.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

So, I changed the transparency to 98% and it made no difference. It's not the reflections. The MFDs are just not bright enough.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Arnt the MFDs suppose to have green text?

On earlier Blocks, yes. Other blocks have a predominately yellow/orange colour. The min-2000's Block 50s have white.

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

Ahh, that's weird. I've never seen white text on any block 50s.

Short answer:

The DCS F16C is a circa 2007 block 50 model. IT a post CCIP model Viper. 1 partion of those upgrades was replacing old monochrome green monitors with fully colour capable displays. and they run on newer software suites among other things. a 2007 era viper is going to be using either software tape v4.2 or v4.3

Long answer as to what CCIP really is :

"The Common Configuration Implementation Program (CCIP) is a $2 billion modernization effort that seeks to standardize all USAF Block 40/42/50/52 F-16s to a common Block 50/52-based avionics software and hardware configuration for simplified training and maintenance. Lockheed Martin received a contract to develop the first phase CCIP configuration upgrade packages in June 1998; kit production work started in 2000, and deliveries began in July 2001.

Phase 1 of the CCIP added new Modular Mission Computers, color cockpit display kits and advanced IFF systems to domestically based Block 50/52 aircraft, and introduced the new Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod (ATP). The ability of the F-16CJ/DJ to employ GPS-guided weapons was extended to the rest of the Block 50/52 fleet. Upgraded Phase 1 aircraft redeliveries began in January 2002.

The second phase extended these upgrades to overseas-based Block 50/52 Falcons, and redeliveries ran from July 2003 to June 2007. Phase II also included the introduction of Link-16 datalink, and the Joint Helmet-Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)"

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD