Vietnam War - POLL

Hueyman

Vietnam War - POLL  

1090 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam War - POLL

• Yes, it would create a new dimension to the DCS World simulator
    • No, I prefer 3rds to still work on aircrafts, and to fly in the same old Caucasus

Yes dudes, a Vietnam hardcore flight sim is one of my strongest wish for so many years ... before, it was having a Huey, then this dream came true thanks to Belsimtek geniuses !

And now, if we could have a gigantic and detailed Vietnam map AND environments, ground units, ambiance, weather etc etc... that would be such a blast

Sadly, when I see how long a desert map takes to see the light, I'm afraid Vietnam would never ever be released.

I do not know the max possible scale of a map in the EDGE engine, but a " fictional map ", taking main locations such Khe Sahn, Da Nang, Chu Lai, Haiphong, Plei Ku, Nha Trang, Huê, Hanoï etc etc ... would be very realistic, even in the small size of the current Caucasus gulf

It would need to alternate between typical Vietnamese urban locations with the citadels, monuments etc, and rice paddies, dense jungle, plateau, mountainous regions, valleys etc. As well as a couple of airfields of course and the nearby see for naval ops.

We have the Huey, the Mi-8 ( which was used a bit by Charlie ), soon the Mig 21... if only we could have another chopper ( OH-6 or Cobra or UH-34 ), and one or two planes ( F4 Phantom of course and let's say a Skyraider to be versatile ), simulated at a DCS level, with a dedicated team working hard on the map, art assets, ground units, infantry etc of both sides, it would be truly ground breaking.

If EDGE is as flexible as it claims to be, I can't wait the SDK is released for us, the community, can start putting hands into grease ...

When I see that, I just do not want to return in our 10 years old Caucasus ...

48S6vHh.jpg?1

wHr4lb4.jpg?1

JAB5umN.jpg?1

fX2KmsX.jpg?1

pb9jIKZ.jpg?1

As you can see, Vietnam has its own philosophy, mainly built on humid and hazy atmosphere, when it's not hot and sunny

We should organize, make it the professional way, ask good persons and eventually put ourselves into the gears, to make such project born.

What do you think guys ?

Edited by Hueyman
  • Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

I rather prefer them to stick to helicopters than starting to develop sceneries.

You have to understand that just because you can make a helicotper you can make a new map.

I would love Belsimtek to continue on helicopters, and someone else do the terrain.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

We can at least express what we LIKE, and it is up to them to do what they WANT then.

I posted this in the BST forum, but did not meant them to do the job, I also want they stick to helicopters ( but it sounds their next module is the F-86 ? ) but it was more addressed to general devs, who some of us are, to seriously ( or nor if you voted no ) think about this area

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Belsimtek has plans to build a AH-1G, but a OH-6 and UH-34 will be welcome on a Vietnam scenery. I add more planes the request, RAZBAM have plans to build a A-7 Corsair II, F-4 will be the start, and A-1 to sandy, but need a HH-43B Huskie, HH-3 Jolly Green Giant or HH-53 Super Jolly Green Giant to add accurate mission aircraft.

Other subsequence aircraft can be A-4, F-8, Mig-17 and Mig-19

Other Hardware will be boost the AAA / SAM legacy weapons: Belcz make a S-60, ZSU-57-2 and ZPU-1/2/4, M1939 (61-K) and others AAA systems.

I also think the devs should stick to what they're good at, but I sincerely hope that the likes of FTX are seeing an opportunity to create terrain for DCS...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I say get the aircraft done first, then work on new maps.

The simple fact is we don't have enough of either at the moment.

Nevada will work as a great training ground while we wait for new jets though. Then I'm sure new maps will start to come out as well.

I think a low res, global map with smaller areas of high detail that could be added to in future would be the best option, if EDGE can do that.

We need an F-4 Phantom, A-4 skyhawk or some of the century series aircraft before I'd be interested in a Vietnam map.

The Hun and the Thud would be awesome to fly against MiG 21's.

Edited by howie87

• ED Team

More than anything I would like a Vietnam map

Think its just a matter of waiting for DCS to settle down and third parties to find their feet and we will see an explosion of creativity :)

I have a dream . . . .

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

VRC is doing the Super Sabre D, so that's already our ride :D

We have AI F-4 and F-5, so it helps.

More than the map, I think we're missing aircraft. You can use a map to simulate another region jist fine - it's been done before a thousand times, and it will be done again. Wasn't there a fantastic campaign for BS1 that used the Caucasus as India or something like it? Plus a lot of old Il-2 great campaigns used the same region to simulate Southeast England.

I had this idea... Someone should really grab Thud Ridge and recreate some missions with the available planeset (perhaps using equivalents e.g. A-10 replacing the Skyraider?) and map, just to get the feel of it (and explore the Caucasus as a stopgap for a 'nam map).

I do not know the max possible scale of a map in the EDGE engine,

dont know where i read it, but if i remember right, wags stated the maps in edge can be as big as you want them to be, so finaly restricted by space on your harddrive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

VRC is doing the Super Sabre D, so that's already our ride :D

We have AI F-4 and F-5, so it helps.

I had this idea... Someone should really grab Thud Ridge and recreate some missions with the available planeset (perhaps using equivalents e.g. A-10 replacing the Skyraider?) and map, just to get the feel of it (and explore the Caucasus as a stopgap for a 'nam map).

Well, you can't have Thud Ridge without the Thud. The F-105D/F/G is a must have for any map covering North Vietnam. Of course you would have to have the F-4B/C/D/E/J, F-8E/H/J, F-104C, F-102A, EB-66E, A-1E/H/J, A-4E/F, A-7B/C/E, A-6A/B, F-111A, KA-3B, EKA-3B, RA-5C, RF-4C, B-52D/F/G, CH-53B/C/D, MiG-21PF, MiG-17F, and MiG-19P. For the war in the south we would need (in addition to a few of the types previously listed) the O-1E, O-2A, OV-10A, F-100C/D/F, UH-1B/C/D, CH-54A/B, CH-47A, OH-6A, AC-130A, AC-47A, C-130A/B/E, C-7A/B, C-123B/K, NC-123K, AC-119G/K, AH-1G and AP-2H. The map would also have to include more than Just North and south Vietnam but also Cambodia, Laos, Thailand a considerable part of the Gulf of Tonkin and South China Sea as well.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Well, you can't have Thud Ridge without the Thud. The F-105D/F/G is a must have for any map covering North Vietnam. Of course you would have to have the F-4B/C/D/E/J, F-8E/H/J, F-104C, F-102A, EB-66E, A-1E/H/J, A-4E/F, A-7B/C/E, A-6A/B, F-111A, KA-3B, EKA-3B, RA-5C, RF-4C, B-52D/F/G, CH-53B/C/D, MiG-21PF, MiG-17F, and MiG-19P. For the war in the south we would need (in addition to a few of the types previously listed) the O-1E, O-2A, OV-10A, F-100C/D/F, UH-1B/C/D, CH-54A/B, CH-47A, OH-6A, AC-130A, AC-47A, C-130A/B/E, C-7A/B, C-123B/K, NC-123K, AC-119G/K, AH-1G and AP-2H. The map would also have to include more than Just North and south Vietnam but also Cambodia, Laos, Thailand a considerable part of the Gulf of Tonkin and South China Sea as well.

added L-19 BIRD DOG and Cessna A-37 Dragonfly :)

Found this on the WEB

During the Korean War jet fighters, notably, the U.S. F-86 and the Soviet MiG-15, were extensively used. The U.S. F-100 and F-4; the Soviet MiG-21; and the French Mirage III saw combat service in the Middle East and in Vietnam in the 1960s and ’70s.

Do someone have more information about Mirage III in vietnam ?

EVAC : French fighter school on LockOn: Flaming Cliffs

Moding tutorials at C6

It would be great to have this fully operational and have someone in an O1 or OV10 providing FAC support for jet jocks. With the lack of any targeting pod, etc...its all Mk1 eyeball combined with instruction and WP rockets for targeting.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Cant find any references to the Mirage III in any of my books about aircraft of vietnam war. They where first supplied to French units in 1961. The French had completely withdrawn from Indochina by 1954. I figure that is the reason for no references.

Below is a quote from http://www.defenceaviation.com/2010/10/top-5-dogfights-in-history.html

3 - F-4 Phantom II vs Mig-17 in the Vietnam War(1965-73)

This historical aerial combat between American and North Vietnamese aircrafts was witnessed in the Vietnam war.This dogfight included the strengths and weaknesses of the two most iconic combat aircrafts in the Cold War.These aerial dogfights were mostly fought over the jungles of North Vietnam.

The F-4 Phantom II obtained outstanding results in the war and although it had its disadvantages in size,weight and maneuverability when compared with the MIG-17,the F-4 comprehensively defeated the MIG-17 “Fresco” in a series of battles in 1972.

Tactics such as “lag pursuit”(aggressively manoeuvrings the F-4 outside the MIG’S turning circle and using its superior speed to achieve a firing range) gave pilots a real advantage over their opponents.

Personally I voted for map but would love carrier ops for A4 Skyhawk, OH-6A Cayuse An F111A and a C47;)

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with all of you dudes, honestly but do you realize in each of your post you ask for more than a dozen of new aircrafts, while each module take several years to be done ?...

If we want all Vietnam aircrafts ( and everyone doesn't want that obviously ... ) we can expect them to be hear in 15-20 years if DCS still exist, while if we got a map in the next year, we'll at least be able to play with the Huey, Mi-8 and Mig 21, which is great and as you stated we have F4 and F5 as AI... nowadays Mustang Pilots are dog fighting against the AI 190 in order this one become really a " true " DCS model, if you see what I mean

We aren't 10 billions, the market is kinda small after all ... so I think we really should make compromise between " wait for all Vietnam planes to come and do nothing until " or, " having only a couple of Vietnam era planes but getting a nice battlefield to fly other and do some serious historical campaign " ...

With what we have now ( Huey ) and a good Vietnam Map, it would already be possible to make some insanely fun pilot campaign, from beginning of the conflict until the end :

For example, you start as a rookie pilot at Fort Rucker ( replaced by Nevada Map ... ) where you learn helicopter flight basics, combat maneuvers, tactical flight etc, at the beginning of the Huey legend ( starting with the HU-1A, see below, of course UH-1H in the game... we won't make a dedicated HU-1A just for that ) then being sent to south east Asia in wet jungles with the UH-1H doing the type of mission everyone know ( dust off, medevacs, infantry support etc ), until the fall of Saigon in April 1975, where we could perform evacuation of people from Saigon to the ships, etc etc ...

po37.jpg

4b6v.jpg

I know it would be much better with appropriate Phantoms, Thunderchiefs, Skyraiders, Cayuses, Chinooks and such ... but is it better to wait years and years to hope for it or to have a map quickly, within a year, then do our best to have fun ? even the P-51 could be fitted in this War, as it served in Korea... Think about it twice before voting NO and preferring to always have the same planes over the same Georgia :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

but is it better to wait years and years to hope for it or to have a map quickly, within a year, then do our best to have fun ? even the P-51 could be fitted in this War, as it served in Korea... Think about it twice before voting NO and preferring to always have the same planes over the same Georgia :thumbup:

Remind me, how long have we been waiting for Nevada?

Edited by Flying Penguin

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

To be honest, I do not know what they are doing for so long with that Map ...

I really hope it will be worth the wait but I start not to expect to much, as even nowadays screens tells " early state " ...

Anyway, a motivated teams could do marvels on a Vietnam map, even if the 1.0 is not the definitive release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]