Looking into the Warthog. Question

iKyrThraad993i

I am looking to get the Thrustmaster Warthog setup. I am curious with the toggle switches on the throttle will I be able to make the off-on switches work without changing the LUA?

Like say for the F-18 I want the one off-on switch to be Off (Gear Up) and On (Gear Down) is that possible without changing LUA

Ant0ine's answer is the reason why I use the Autopilot Engage / Disengage push button for the gear

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Like say for the F-18 I want the one off-on switch to be Off (Gear Up) and On (Gear Down) is that possible without changing LUA

Most airplanes have a few control options for things like Gear.

Gear Up

Gear Down

Gear Toggle.

When there is a toggle available, there is no need for a switch to have two positions. Mostly the Gear Up/Gear Down functions are not assigned by default. I wonder why in such a case people even need the Up/Down functions anyway.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Most airplanes have a few control options for things like Gear.

Gear Up

Gear Down

Gear Toggle.

When there is a toggle available, there is no need for a switch to have two positions. Mostly the Gear Up/Gear Down functions are not assigned by default. I wonder why in such a case people even need the Up/Down functions anyway.

It is to make sure our physical toggle switch is always synchronized with the virtual toggle switch. Like physical down position is "Gear Down" and physical up position is "Gear Up".

If we don't use Target or a similar program nor edit lua file then all we can do is use DCS "Gear Toggle" on the up position, in that case to drop the gear you have to flip the switch up, and to raise the gear you have to flip it down, which will do nothing, and up again. That sucks, and that is why we want each position of the switch to send a signal to the PC. And we prefer to use dedicated "Gear Up" and "Gear Down" command for exemple to make sure the physical and virtual switch remain in sync.

Cause for exemple I could flip the switch down to drop the gear. But then if I press G or click in the cockpit or flip the switch when DCS doesn't have focus or something like that, then it would desynchronize the switch if we mapped the "Gear toggle" on both physical position of the switch. Using dedicated command the switch could still be desync, but the next time we'll use the switch it would do nothing because gear is already up, or down.

That's all OK when you are already running the sim but does not take into account the position of the switches if you fire it up for the first time.

For toggles i always use a button, not a switch.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

That's all OK when you are already running the sim but does not take into account the position of the switches if you fire it up for the first time.

For toggles i always use a button, not a switch.

Actually, as long as you have the "Sync HOTAS" (can't remember the exact label) ticked in the options, when you fire up DCS it move the switches in the virtual cockpit to match what you have physically set on your hardware (i.e. I have the Master Arm set up in the .lua and if I forget to set it back to safe on my WH throttle, when I launch the game and launch the F-18 cold and dark, the Master Arm will be set to ARM in the cockpit). This doesn't always work perfectly, but it works vast majority of the time in my experience.

To have an on and off position you need a 3 position switch. Like the autopilot switch. That's without using target.

I think it's a waste of a switch. I just use the autopilot button. One push to drop gear and another to raise it. You have lights to tell you what position they're in.

Buzz

To have an on and off position you need a 3 position switch. Like the autopilot switch. That's without using target.

I think it's a waste of a switch. I just use the autopilot button. One push to drop gear and another to raise it. You have lights to tell you what position they're in.

Just for clarity for anyone that's just skimming this post, to use a 2 pos switch you do need to EITHER edit the .lua or use Target. So it can (easily with .lua edits IMHO) be done.

I use the EAC switch in almost all modules for toggling gear up/down and don't ever have an issue. When I switch it, I always do an up and back down on the switch.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The easiest way IMO is using Target or Joystick Gremlin. I have each position on all switches mapped. I.e. the APU switch extends the refueling probe when set to "Start" and retracts it when set to "off". Same goes for EAC switch, RDR ALTM etc. Also the Autopilot PATH - ALT/HDG - ALT switch has all 3 positions mapped. Not a big deal with Target...

Just be sure to set the signal to "pulse" instead of "hold".

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

The easiest way IMO is using Target or Joystick Gremlin. I have each position on all switches mapped. I.e. the APU switch extends the refueling probe when set to "Start" and retracts it when set to "off". Same goes for EAC switch, RDR ALTM etc. Also the Autopilot PATH - ALT/HDG - ALT switch has all 3 positions mapped. Not a big deal with Target...

Just be sure to set the signal to "pulse" instead of "hold".

Just curious: do the throttle switch positions sync on starting the game when you do it that way?

Just curious: do the throttle switch positions sync on starting the game when you do it that way?

Not that i´m aware of. Little bit annoying, but i can live with it.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2