Flying Is Weird Now!?

Murey2

Hello,

So, I noticed that after the new flight model of the Ka-50 after last patch it is flying weird... In more details on my end I have to push the stick 10-15% to the left to keep it flying straight?!

before I do more testing are you having the same thing guys?

Edited by Murey2

Funny how a free 3D cockpit w/ texture update would do that. ;)

So no, not experiencing this at all; flies like she should as the flight model was not touched.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Funny how a free 3D cockpit w/ texture update would do that. ;)

So no, not experiencing this at all; flies like she should as the flight model was not touched.

Same as how would a free cockpit update screw up the landing lights :smilewink: but anyway don't ask me because I can't answer it.

Edited by Murey2

There was no flight model update. Flies exactly the same to me.

Do you have a good understanding of trim and autopilot channels? Can you re-check the special options in case one of those settings is not what you expect?

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

There was no flight model update. Flies exactly the same to me.

Do you have a good understanding of trim and autopilot channels? Can you re-check the special options in case one of those settings is not what you expect?

Flight model has been if not changed/updated it's affected to impact flight model!!!

Want to try it?

Go mission editor and fly by the keyboard only! And don't bank left of right just use the arrows for pitch and the + and - on the numpad for collective and you will see the ka-50 banking right on it's own which wasn't the case before.

And trim mode has no effect on this... But thanks for mentioning it.

I'll report it as a bug after the last update that fixed the shkval lights for the weapons last weekend.

I found a document about a decade ago that explained this very phenomenon with contrarotating rotors. It has to do with the effect of free stream air hitting the advancing blade vs the retreating blade and the effects of the upper rotor affecting the lower rotor. I've since upgraded my computer and lost my backups but i'll look for it and post it. look up "simple" helicopters rotor dynamics for "retreating blade stall" and "dissymmetry of lift" that should tell you the basics about this "bug". The MI8 and UH1 also require cyclic inputs left and right to fly straight.

With these cyclic inputs there is also a requirement to use the rudder input to keep a helicopter coordinated in straight flight. The KA50 is more weird because it uses differential collective per rotor system to create this yaw force which means the lower blade will have slightly more collective than the upper blade. you'll notice this issue more when you're cruising along near Vne and see the right side of the rotors getting close together. Fly faster and you can make your blades clap!

*Insert Youtube link that Youtube won't let me find

Best Complement: "You fly like a Psychotic 5 year old" :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you by chance place a cellphone next to your controller cables on your desk or in your pit...you might have some RF interference going on.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found a document about a decade ago that explained this very phenomenon with contrarotating rotors. It has to do with the effect of free stream air hitting the advancing blade vs the retreating blade and the effects of the upper rotor affecting the lower rotor. I've since upgraded my computer and lost my backups but i'll look for it and post it. look up "simple" helicopters rotor dynamics for "retreating blade stall" and "dissymmetry of lift" that should tell you the basics about this "bug". The MI8 and UH1 also require cyclic inputs left and right to fly straight.

With these cyclic inputs there is also a requirement to use the rudder input to keep a helicopter coordinated in straight flight. The KA50 is more weird because it uses differential collective per rotor system to create this yaw force which means the lower blade will have slightly more collective than the upper blade. you'll notice this issue more when you're cruising along near Vne and see the right side of the rotors getting close together. Fly faster and you can make your blades clap!

*Insert Youtube link that Youtube won't let me find

Thanks for the info. well but it's weird something has changed the last week made it so obvious now to a degree that the Ka-50 is flying like mi-8 which suffers from what you mentioned badly! So if that is true, then indeed it's a new Flight model (or Corrected one). by the way I fly the Ka-50 almost daily. So I have noticed it for about a week now.

Edit: And I don't think that a Coaxial rotor like Ka-50 will be effected like the Mi-8 when it come to VNE or RBS...

Did you by chance place a cellphone next to your controller cables on your desk or in your pit...you might have some RF interference going on.

In the test I was flying by keyboard. So I don't think that would be an issue.

Reset your trim?

Tried it and has no effect.

Edited by Murey2

Yeah, seeing the same. At level flight, there's now a constant sideslip — usually towards the left. The AP and stabilisation will keep the Shark pointing towards the target but left to its own devices, it will very slowly spiral in towards the goal rather than flying straight forward.

Trimming in a couple of degrees of right roll will take out the side slip and isn't really a problem — it just looks… wrong. :D And at that attitude, the AP doesn't have much left-over anti-torque authority so it's quite easy for any kind of movement to make the nose dip right and to kick it off course.

It's hard to say if it's an actual issue, since it's so trivial to overcome and ends up just being a different way to fly the thing that has been introduced. But if it's not a universal observation, then something is clearly not working as it should, and if it's a flight model change, it hasn't really been communicated and thus might not be intentional.

e: It's almost as if the balance point of the whole thing has shifted to the left a bit, so the rotors have to compensate for the asymmetry in such a way that the helo slips around and that only by canting it do you align lift and centre of mass so it stays straight. This shouldn't be connected to a model update, but if you change the wrong things and then compensate for it in the wrong place, I guess it could.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

im seeing this in the bubble.

its demanding a lot of right pedal when it should be near neutral for the speed and being in a straight line.

the weather vane effect of the tail should mean i need no pedal. why it is so big :)

and its not cross wind.

i end up flying with the nose pointing to the right to keep the bubble centred.

you guys seem to be correcting for the same thing but with cyclic and role.

im no KA-50 expert but i don't remember it being like this. but i could be wrong :)

its almost like it has a tail rotor..

so maybe its not so different from a normal chopper after all..

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Yeah, seeing the same. At level flight, there's now a constant sideslip — usually towards the left. The AP and stabilisation will keep the Shark pointing towards the target but left to its own devices, it will very slowly spiral in towards the goal rather than flying straight forward.

Trimming in a couple of degrees of right roll will take out the side slip and isn't really a problem — it just looks… wrong. :D And at that attitude, the AP doesn't have much left-over anti-torque authority so it's quite easy for any kind of movement to make the nose dip right and to kick it off course.

It's hard to say if it's an actual issue, since it's so trivial to overcome and ends up just being a different way to fly the thing that has been introduced. But if it's not a universal observation, then something is clearly not working as it should, and if it's a flight model change, it hasn't really been communicated and thus might not be intentional.

e: It's almost as if the balance point of the whole thing has shifted to the left a bit, so the rotors have to compensate for the asymmetry in such a way that the helo slips around and that only by canting it do you align lift and centre of mass so it stays straight. This shouldn't be connected to a model update, but if you change the wrong things and then compensate for it in the wrong place, I guess it could.

I get this exact thing happening to me when flying.. there is something to this..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

*long silence*

Great Scott.... I wonder if that could be what causes my unexplainable ghost key presses. Wireless router or cellphone nearby + crap insulation and boom, errant inputs.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I find the KA-50 flies weird if my collective, rudder and cyclic axis are bound together.

Corsair 500D SE|Corsair AX1600i|Windows 11 Pro 64Bit|Intel i9-12900K 3.2Ghz@stock|Gigabyte Master Z690|Corsair H150i Elite Capellix|Gigabyte Vision RTX 3090| 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR5 5600Mhz|Alienware 34 AW3418W Display|Track IR 4 Pro|Logitech 7.1 G930|Samsung Evo 970 NVMe TB SSD|Slaw RX Viper Pedals|Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| F/A18-C Grip|HP Reverb 2|Logitech Lightspeed 502|Logitech Z906 5.1

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this also. Thought the campaign missions might have cross wind so I made a mission in ME with no wind and the same thing happened. Wondering if those who say they don't notice it have rudder trim checked in the special settings, as I don't. Those who have this set would be trimming it out at take off and that may hide it rest of the flight.

Those who have this set would be trimming it out at take off and that may hide it rest of the flight.

It wouldn't though.Rudder trim location changes constantly, just like all the other trims.

Trimming it at takeoff would just mean one trim location a long time ago was different. Wouldn't effect anything once you release trim some time after the initial takeoff trim.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)