Radar Antennae Elevation meant for thumbstick instead of rotary axis?

Does anyone know if this is intentional? I know the Mirage had this issue for a while before it was corrected.

Say you have an axis with +/0/-. If the axis is centered, there's no movement. If the axis is rotated to +1, the radar elevation carat starts moving upward at a constant rate until the axis is returned to 0. This absolutely does not work well with a rotary axis.

Does the real Hornet radar elevation work via a spring-to-center control? I thought it was a wheel just like the F-15, F-16, etc.

I can't say for sure just by looking at it, but in pictures of the F-18 throttle, it certainly looks like a rotary wheel...

I’m speculating here, but I would imagine they operate in much the same way. Both MD, now Boeing, creations so stuff usually doesn’t fall too far from the same tree.

You aren't just going on the Suncom throttle for this, are you? Because I could easily see how that could be incorrect. The Suncom Throttle was made back when not as many axis were supported and the wheel mechanism on it was essentially just an up switch and a down switch.

You aren't just going on the Suncom throttle for this, are you? Because I could easily see how that could be incorrect. The Suncom Throttle was made back when not as many axis were supported and the wheel mechanism on it was essentially just an up switch and a down switch.

No...I worked the real thing for a lot of years.

You give me enough dead time and I could probably get you a part/stock number for the actual switch

I think the real one is not an on/off switch, but a spring centered axis. The more you displace it, the faster it will change the elevation. Otherwise the real controller wouldn't be so big.

So the current axis implementation may be technically correct, unfortunately there is no hardware on the market that works this way, which makes it a rather useless feature.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I think the real one is not an on/off switch, but a spring centered axis. The more you displace it, the faster it will change the elevation. Otherwise the real controller wouldn't be so big.

So the current axis implementation may be technically correct, unfortunately there is no hardware on the market that works this way, which makes it a rather useless feature.

Partially there. I was curious so I looked it up. Switch is a potentiometer actuated by a switch on a centering spring, so more travel would be faster movement, but, it will center back to null when released.

This is -15 stuff of course, I’m going to bet -18 would be similar but don’t know that to be fact.

I assigned it to the slider on the Warthog and it doesn't really do the job. I'm setting mine to the red China hat since it's spring loaded. None of this would be much of a problem if the TDC slew axis worked and I didn't need to use a hat for it.. But hey.. It's beta..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I assigned it to the slider on the Warthog and it doesn't really do the job. I'm setting mine to the red China hat since it's spring loaded. None of this would be much of a problem if the TDC slew axis worked and I didn't need to use a hat for it.. But hey.. It's beta..

You’re drunk... :)

You’re drunk... :)
Haha! Not in over a year! Rather boring.. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

You should swing by the 107th. It's got a Multiviper kind of feel..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No...I worked the real thing for a lot of years.

You give me enough dead time and I could probably get you a part/stock number for the actual switch

Thanks man. That's the info I was looking for. It can be hard sometimes to tell via text who knows what they're talking about and who's spouting BS.

Yeah im hoping it will get changed so it works the same as in the mirage. The current implemenation would only work if the rotary was springloaded ^^

If they really want to keep the real axis they should just make 2. 1 for the "real" and the second one as used in the mirage radar elevation.

Yeah, I'd like to see both options.

Now that I know that the wheel has spring-to-center tension, I want to try and implement it. The Suncom F-15 throttle's pinky wheel has a mechanism that could be copied to accomplish this.

Rainmaker, thanks again man. Experience-based information like what you shared is rarely obtainable unless someone like you comes along and shares it. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

This is still an issue for me.

I understand that the elevation control in the real thing works differently, but can we please have the option to use our existing controller axis (i.e. the further you move the axis, the further radar elevation changes, like it is implemented in all other jets with radar in DCS).

I guess most of us don't plan to mod our hardware to exchange the axis control with an encoder or something spring loaded.

• ED Team

Second this, X52 Pro user here, there's no other logical mapping for radar elevation on this stick than one of the rotaries. And due to residual drift on both of them, the antenna elevation slowly drifts into full down position with the rotary centered.

^This.:doh:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Second this, X52 Pro user here, there's no other logical mapping for radar elevation on this stick than one of the rotaries. And due to residual drift on both of them, the antenna elevation slowly drifts into full down position with the rotary centered.

I am using the scroll wheel for this. It's not perfect, but it does work. You may need to adjust the delay.

Capture.JPG.e7cf69fea0cee5c63e72794a13d35808.JPG

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals