Carrier Elevators? - Page 6 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 02:39 AM   #51
Lunatic98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 1,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by =4c=Nikola View Post
It's there, but it's low poly and low res. If you want player to go there you need more polys and more pixels.
Eh I'm not really interesting in going there myself, I just see it as a nice to have really... Though I do imagine if a hangar is still present, it'll probably receive a visual improvement - even if they do so I seriously doubt such a thing will cripple performance to the extent that Chaogen would have people believe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by =4c=Nikola View Post
BTW, they are making completely new model and textures. So, technically, it's not there.
True, but that's why I said it's present on current assets, namely the Stennis, and yet is performance markedly reduced? No and I doubt that a visual improvement is going to markedly impact performance when aircraft like the Tomcat surpass the Stennis' polycount by a long way...

What we do know is that functional elevators will most probably will be (it's been said numerous times they'll at least be animated) I really can't imagine it not being so (regardless of detail) if elevators are supposedly going to be functional... Plus we see the AS32A-32A Hangar Deck Tractor present in the official list of static equipment for the module (though that doesn't necessarily mean anything).

And it's already a functional feature for AI on the Stennis, which I imagine was used as test-bed. Sure it's an assumption but IMO a likely one. Unless it's necessary to remove it for some reason, though I don't see ED removing features that were already provided for, for free...

Just my take on it.
__________________
Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, AJS-37, F-5E, Ka-50, MiG-21Bis, FC3, MiG-15Bis, A-10C, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, P-51D, CA, C-101, Hawk

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB SSD

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qdrM4n

Last edited by Lunatic98; 02-14-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Lunatic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #52
cptmrcalm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Default

Guys. Simulations are all about immersion. I’m an old fart and I like to be immersed.
VR so far has been the best thing for DCS – the main reason for trying it out.

Are elevators as important as a true dynamic campaign – controlling assets and flights in real time? No.
Are elevators as important as getting the AI planes moving around realistically instead of flying on invisible rails? No.
Getting the flight systems fully implemented? No.
Are elevators as important as getting a fully animated ground crew? No.

But for me, I’d want something significant to what we have already.
If I can park up on an elevator and use the radio to be lowered down into the hanger bay – even if just to roll forward off the ramp to bring up the escape menu – then I’m in.
(I don’t ever think I’ve seen that before in any flight sim?)

Because that would be immersive. A celebratory end to a mission. To help put into perspective the flight I just had. To add to the immersion that the ship is alive with a hive of activity.
Wow. I’d be in.
I don’t understand why people seem to think the elevators are being portrayed as important as flying features. Referring to things as sim city etc…
But heck. If they don’t implement them, then opportunity missed and ill probably pass. Depending on its other features.
But if you don’t care for them – hey, its your opinion and that’s fine.

As someone further back in the thread put:
“f I’m paying that much money i want elevators and hangar honestly down the road, if not at release

Its meant to be supercarrier not lazy implementation carrier.”


Peace. out.
cptmrcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #53
draconus
DCS Ground Crew
 
draconus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 2,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmrcalm View Post
If I can park up on an elevator and use the radio to be lowered down into the hanger bay – even if just to roll forward off the ramp to bring up the escape menu – then I’m in.
Pilots don't do that. Fantasy kills immersion. So I'm against players riding elevators. But them working for AI is OK. They are already implemented on Stennis and work. SC will work like that too, nothing really to talk about.
__________________
G4560@3,5GHz/DDR4-16GB/GTX970-4GB/SATA3-SSD, Win7-64, 27"LCD-FullHD, T16000M HOTAS, customTiR
Aircraft: FC3, F-14B /
Maps: NTTR, PG
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #54
cptmrcalm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Default

Thats true and a fair point. Not sure on fantasy kills immersion - after all, its all a fantasy - but i think i get what your saying.



Maybe just an nice way of seeing the aircraft being recovered then.



I suppose the point still stands - so long as its a significant advancement to what we have.


regards
cptmrcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #55
RAF_JAGUAR
Junior Member
 
RAF_JAGUAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
Pilots don't do that. Fantasy kills immersion. So I'm against players riding elevators. But them working for AI is OK. They are already implemented on Stennis and work. SC will work like that too, nothing really to talk about.
Not doubting for a moment what you say but i am obviously doing something wrong (nothing new there then) Any AI aircraft i have seen head for the elevator, get on it, lift does what a lift does, they then hop off, head for the hanger and then reappear on the deck and either hit anything in the way or block the landing area. I also was not aware a "real" player could do it, though i am sure i read somewhere else you can.

I reckon it would be a cool animation to see but for real the deck crew and not the Aircrew do all that, so i guess you would have to look at modeling tugs etc on the lift. A feature I would like to see, yes, but only after the flying side, the ATC etc is all working correctly.
__________________
How much longer, Ops? The engine’s overheating and so am I. We either stand down or blow up. Which do you want?
RAF_JAGUAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #56
draconus
DCS Ground Crew
 
draconus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 2,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF_JAGUAR View Post
Not doubting for a moment what you say but i am obviously doing something wrong (nothing new there then) Any AI aircraft i have seen head for the elevator, get on it, lift does what a lift does, they then hop off, head for the hanger and then reappear on the deck and either hit anything in the way or block the landing area. I also was not aware a "real" player could do it, though i am sure i read somewhere else you can.
Afaik the elevators are used only when the deck is full. You can only ride along the AI if you set yourself properly. I never said it's bug free
__________________
G4560@3,5GHz/DDR4-16GB/GTX970-4GB/SATA3-SSD, Win7-64, 27"LCD-FullHD, T16000M HOTAS, customTiR
Aircraft: FC3, F-14B /
Maps: NTTR, PG
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #57
Pikey
Veteran
 
Pikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Reading, UK (GMT)
Posts: 3,898
Default

I'd like to see the AI clear off the deck via an elevator, but that's it. The reason is space. Other than that, this thread is mostly an argument and pointless, especially to read.
__________________
___________________________________________________________________________
SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING * PLAYLIST
===========
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #58
pimp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,201
Default

It's anyone's guess on how we are going to be able to interact with the SC regarding elevators & hangar deck. I don't see the point in modeling a hangar deck or elevators if we can use them. There's a reason why most of the questions in this thread has been moved to the wishlist thread. There obviously won't be any tugs or walking around. This post hasn't been moved because there are working elevators, again, what's the point if we can interact/use them, realistic or not.
__________________
i9 9900k @5.1GHz h100i |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Pro 512GB | LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra | Reverb | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals
pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #59
Chaogen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Georgia, US
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic98 View Post
My oh my... Sorry Chaogen, I can't hear you from all the way up that high horse you're perched on. If you had actually read my argument, it mainly revolves around picking yours apart, seeing as you think features we already have bring performance to that of a "slideshow" (in case you didn't get it, which yeah, apparently you didn't - this is why I called the performance argument you made an over-exaggeration).

Because they are... I was quoting you directly... It's already present with no measurable ill-effects or performance complaints. You offer no rebuttal other than sticking your fingers in your ears... You also like to throw around various logical fallacies, yet never actually addressing much of anything.

Did you misinterpret what I said AGAIN?

My point was concerning functional elevators, and a hangar (literally a box with a collideable floor and walls, that looks like the hangar of a Nimitz class) - you know the thing that's already there. How. Many. Freaking. Times.



...


So you admit that you have simply posted all of your replies to pick my argument apart? I would very much like to know what prior interactions we had to piss you off that much? Oh wait, not relevant and I don't care.

Just to recap, because TL;DR.
1.cptmrcalm has now stated that in fact his request was for the purpose of full immersion, and a modeled hangar deck "Because that would be immersive. A celebratory end to a mission. To help put into perspective the flight I just had. To add to the immersion that the ship is alive with a hive of activity.", even though the Flight Ops part does not include going down the elevator. See you keep running around in circles partially quoting me, when I have repeatedly stated that its not just the hangar deck but everything that goes along with it. What’s the point of modeling an empty deck, since this whole module is centered around adding animated deck crew? Especially since the one that's "already there" and doesn't add a "Significant Advantage" to convince cptmrcalm to buy the SC Module. Or at least in his original post. I am "hung-up" on those two words (all of 3 times) because that was what my question was quoted and directed at. You inferred it was an argument against the animated elevators simply because of the thread it was in. So not off-topic, since it is most certainly related and I wasn't making "it" up, even if it wasn't asked for it verbatim. It was the intent of the request, as is all the other requests in this forum regarding the hanger deck and ability for a player to use the elevators. None of your 4 responses provided any answer consistent with what cptmrcalm requested or posted. Again, you are more interested in arguing with me than answering the specific question. And if your simple answer is NO, then what are you doing here? (Again this is a rhetorical question btw.)

2.We all agree it would be nice to see the AI Deck Crew move planes to below with elevators, as long as it does not impact performance. You're the one that inferred my argument is against the elevators in general, even though I specifically quoted cptmrcalm in my original reply and wrote aquestion.

3.As update 2.5.6 has proved, bad coding and memory leaks, will in-fact turn MP into a sub 15 fps slideshow eventually crashing the server, which now makes it unplayable for everyone to the point where our MEs had to remove carriers from all the missions. And this is directly related to the existing Stennis you like to refer to so much. So let alone additional code and potential sync issues required to address the animated crew below deck (what would be the point of a static crew below when this module brings us animated crew? Since we already have static crew available..), being run-over by someone taxing a jet into the hangar deck along with the collision models ect. If it is static great, cuts down on performance/sunc issues. But then you wouldn't be able to taxi your jet anyway through the packed hangar, realistic or not. So whats the point? (rhetorical)

4. I'm sure this gets lost every-time, but I do not care what people do in SP. I do not play it, but I do care if the wish-list item impacts MP performance for something that does not add to the Flight OPS part of this Sim. Perhaps the solution is one version for SP with all the non essential wishlist items modeled and animated, and one stripped version with Flight Deck OPS geared for MP/Sync performance (Even though many features are geared solely towards MP anyway, Airboss and LSO for instance..).


That said, you keep making the argument personal, as if this is some attack on you specifically, and while I have on occasion responded in kind, I prefer not to. You are the one who started this from a 157 word post. You have no reservations about attempting to insult me, although again I really do not care. I most certainly do not need your validation. And I'm not going to max out font size to get my point across. I'm not going to quote every single line and pick sentences apart or bring you evidence of well know issues such as deck sliding and bad MP Ordinance tracks. I'm sure your board of post printouts and red strings are quite impressive, but that is a waste of my time to do the same. Besides that's not how the real world works, and that may simply be some life lessons you still have yet to experience. The TFES is a nice touch, but irrelevant and since you have resorted to this level of argument, perhaps it is a sign that maybe you should be done. Maybe find a more relaxing hobby to focus your energy on.

On that note don't bother with another 1800 word SA. It is indeed futile and not because of your argument skills, but rather your lack of being concise and able to focus on the core issue of my original post and addressing that specific question, especially in light of the subsequent responses. I certainly will not be participating in your tirade anymore.
Chaogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #60
Uxi
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 126
Default

Would like to see the elevators working along with the ready room and LSO station but all these are behind the functional ATC, deck crews, and lights for my priority preference.
__________________
F-14B | F/A-18C | Community A4E | FC3 (F-15C, SU-27) | SU-57 mod
---
Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus Xi Hero, 32GB G.Skill Trident 3200, Asus RoG Strix 2070 OC, 1TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO
---
Samsung Odyssey+ WMR HMD; VKB Gunfighter 2 with MCG Pro + T-rudder, Virpil T-50CM v3 Throttle
Uxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.