VR AWS not working with only the Mig-19 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
Chapa

Default VR AWS not working with only the Mig-19

I just bought the Mig-19 and immediatly noticed bad performance in VR (Rift S), stutters, big stutters !!!.

I have all the planes except the Gazelle, everything works fine with all other planes/heli. So, I am confident that it's not related to too high graphical settings. However, I try to disable some of them, to be sure that the bug is not related to the presence of shadows for example, or lens effect... No, it works as bad with or without them

I noticed that the Mig-19 is the only plane that seem to broke AWS. The behaviour isn't the same.
With all planes, the behaviour is as follow:

The FPS is 80Hz if it's possilbe or if the charge is too high, it immediatly fall down to 40Hz. No value in between or during a fraction of second.

The Mig-19 has a different behaviour:

The FPS is 80Hz if possible but it will not fall down to 40Hz as quickly as it should when the charge is too high. The FPS can oscillate between 60+ and 80Hz during long period of time as if something avoid AWS to trig. Forcing AWS ON don't fix the issue. The FPS appears to be 40Hz stable as it should but the big stutters remains.... No plane has this behaviour....

Maybe related or not, I also noticed that the radio compas oscillate quickly with large amplitude without stopping in the Caucasus free flight mission.

I have the feeling that there are high frequency interruption somewere. I have of course try to repair, drop shaders, no mod, I have also restarted the computer and also compare during the same session with other planes, all working perfectly.

Last edited by Chapa; 01-26-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Chapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #2
Chapa

If someone has the Mig-19 and fly it in VR, with Rift S even better, I would be really grateful and happy to hear some feedback about your flying experience in the Caucasus free flight mission

I did more test tonight and to be sure, I put every graphical setting to low, the lowest possible, Pixel density at 1.0 and tested many planes:, all working at 80Hz stable (F-18, F-16, P-51D, Mirage 2000, Harrier)

Even with everything at low, with the Mig-19, the issue is the same: the FPS isn't 80Hz stable, it oscillate between 70-80Hz, AWS doesn't trig and forcing AWS ON don't remove the stutters...

I try the Oculus beta drivers but it don't solve the issue.
I try to change the Mig-19 special settings (Radar Static, check/uncheck other checkboxes) without success...
I try to turn off the avionic systems but same issue...

This plane is lovely and seems to have interesting flight model and give the feeling to fly a machine like the Viggen and Mig-21 but it appears to be totally broken in VR, at least with the Rift S....

Hope to read some feedbacks and be the stupid guy in the story
Old 01-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Chapa

By observing that the issue occurs mainly in the mountain near Tbilisi and less in other map than Caucasus, I found that the issue seems to impact other russian planes in the same region.

The effect are clearly stronger with the Mig-19 and in general, the VR performance seems worse with this plane but however, it is probably related to something else.

For the people interested to check the issue with other planes, I submit a new bug report here with a mission to reproduce it with the Mig-15, L39, Mig-19:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=261940

This bug report can probably be closed...
Old 01-28-2020, 01:18 AM   #4
OverStratos
3rd Party Developer

Thanks for letting us know
For a time now some users have mentioned that they have some problems in VR with the aircraft while the majority doesn´t seem to have them. We found some issues months ago that was possible were impacting the VR FPS and those were fixed and the framerate was improved.
I fly myself with the Rift S with near to max settings, but with a 2080Ti and everything run smooth in any map. Anyhow, we will continue to search for probable problems that may be causing this.
OverStratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Chapa

Thanks for your answer.

The stutter issue appears to be related to the Marker Beacon Receiver and/or Radio Altimeter. As I said, I am able to reproduce the stutter issue with the L-39C. In the L-39C, if I disable the MRP-RV (Marker Beacon Receiver and Radio Altimeter) Switch, the stutter immediatly disappears, when I enable it, they come back.

Of course, I tried to disable these systems in the Mig-19, turning off most of circuit breakers but it doesn't solve the stutters. My opinion is that these circuit breakers shut down the gauge display but don't really stop the underlying processes that compute the altitude/beacon bearing... I am pretty sure that the Mig-19 is suffering the same issue because using shared API with the L-39C or something like that

It's important to note that, all my graphical settings are at the lowest possible values, the FPS is 80Hz stable with my Rift S, nvidia drivers up to date. There is behind the scene a process that interrupts the rendering pipeline. My i8700 CPU could be the limitation factor by beeing not enough powerfull to hide the underlying problem but not the 1080ti.

I need to invest more about it but if you could confirm/reject my supposition regarding the fact the disabling the avionics system don't really stop the underlying process/APIs calls, it could help.

The fact that the issue seems to occurs only in the Caucasus map let me think that it's more related to the beacons in the kHz range, less present in the other maps...

P.S I use the Open Beta version (up to date)
P.S. The mission to analyze the issue in the same condition than me is available here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=261940 (first post in attachment)

Last edited by Chapa; 01-29-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:20 PM   #6
DST

Hello, just wanted to add that I experience the exact same problem like you - heavy stutters in the MiG19 only and only on caucasus map. On PG and Nevada-maps no issues at all.

Still haven't managed to find a fix for this, also like you I tried everything.
I also have almost the same PC specs like you (1080ti, i8700, 64 GB RAM, Rift S)
This is really annoying, because every other plane I have runs flawlessly in every map (including F18, F14, F16, MiG21, Mirage, MiG15, F86)
DST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
Chapa

Hi DST,

This issue is in fact not a Mig-19 issue but impact other aircraft like the L39 and Mig15.
I submited another bug report to ED and it has been reproduced and reported to the dev team.

We have to wait now but it will solve these stutters. Here is the link to the full story:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=261940

@Moderator/Razbam This thread can be closed

Last edited by Chapa; 02-14-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
DST

Ok thank you, I had a quick read through this thread so it seems to have to do with the ARK-navigation stuff? I never bothered much with this (will have to, in the future) is this the explanation why its only on caucasus map?

I do also have the Mig15, L39 and also the MiG21, but never had issues like that. But I also did not use navigation system with ARK-stations. So this stutter appears when using that?

Its a bit confusing, because I really did not do much with the MiG19, only placed the plane on the otherwise empty map and flying, and experienced those stutters, if I do same with MiG15, L39 or MiG21, there are no stutters from the start.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #9
Chapa

The avionic must be enabled and it seems that you need to be in range of a beacon to experience the stutters.

There are a lot of beacon in the Caucasus map and very few in other Maps in the kHZ range. In other plane, you can disable the avionic and shutdown the stutters but in the mig-19, even if you turn off the switch, it doesn’t really disable it and the stutters remains. The gauges stops indicating the bearing however.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
DST

It would be incredible if this nails down the problem.

What I still don't unterstand why a lot of people (also with Rift S) seem to don't experience this at all. As if this seems to be connected to a certain kind of hardware specs too.