Simple autopilot for planes that doesn't have any. - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 02:48 AM   #11
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongamato View Post
Imagine this: after a long flight with the F-5 or the C-101, you have killed all the bad guys and you return to base. You have in front of you 10, 20, 30 or 40 minutes of boring straight line flight and you want to rest your eyes, your arms, grab a beer, go to the WC, whatever, before landing.
There is also a time acceleration feature too. I think the “game” autopilot isn’t in DCS, not because of “realism” since of course accelerating time isn’t realistic. It’s just because it’s not needed. I still don’t understand why pausing or speeding up time isn’t an alternative.

The other flight sim I’m aware of having a “game” autpilot has this because the WWI planes cannot be trimmed and extended flying is fatiguing. That situation doesn’t happen in DCS.

Quote:
Also, in virtual flight, you don't have the sensations of the real pilots. In real life, if the pilot have to stop looking at the horizont or the gauges to read a checklist or something, he feels in his bottom if the plane changes the attitude.
Actually not. There are many instances where a pilot cannot trust what they feel in a plane. Without instruments you can become completely disoriented. You would not trust the “feel” of the plane to know it’s attitude.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
There is also a time acceleration feature too. I think the “game” autopilot isn’t in DCS, not because of “realism” since of course accelerating time isn’t realistic. It’s just because it’s not needed. I still don’t understand why pausing or speeding up time isn’t an alternative.

The other flight sim I’m aware of having a “game” autpilot has this because the WWI planes cannot be trimmed and extended flying is fatiguing. That situation doesn’t happen in DCS.

Actually not. There are many instances where a pilot cannot trust what they feel in a plane. Without instruments you can become completely disoriented. You would not trust the “feel” of the plane to know it’s attitude.
So, to avoid a realistic feature (an autopilot), you suggest to use two unrealistic features, stopping and accelerating time...

Indeed, I know what instrumental vertigo is. But in a normal situation, if a pilot has to look down inside the cockpit for some reason and lose sight of the horizont and the attitude gauges, he will feel if a wing or the nose of the plane falls. In a home simulator, you don't.
Kongamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
Jonne

Quote:
So, to avoid a realistic feature (an autopilot), you suggest to use two unrealistic features, stopping and accelerating time...
It is not a realistic feature if the plane does not have one.
Jonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #14
SharpeXB

Quote:
I don’t necessarily disagree with your request, I just don’t understand the urgent need for it. Why is pausing the game unrealistic? It’s a game after all.

There’s another solution for your dilemma. Just learn to fly one of the planes that has an autopilot. Most of them do.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Old 03-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #15
Kongamato

Quote:
I don’t necessarily disagree with your request, I just don’t understand the urgent need for it. Why is pausing the game unrealistic? It’s a game after all.

There’s another solution for your dilemma. Just learn to fly one of the planes that has an autopilot. Most of them do.
This conversation has entered in a loop. I think it's time to finish it.
Kongamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
nessuno0505

Quote:
All the DCS aircraft have AP anyways except WWII
That's not true: f-5, huey or l-39 do not have AP. But I agree with you: no AP is needed if the real counterpart does not have it. If you have to unload the washing machine, someone is ringing at the door or your home is getting on fire, you can simply pause the game.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessuno0505 View Post
That's not true: f-5, huey or l-39 do not have AP. But I agree with you: no AP is needed if the real counterpart does not have it. If you have to unload the washing machine, someone is ringing at the door or your home is getting on fire, you can simply pause the game.
It seems to me that if we can not be allowed to “customize” our F-5 by adding an autopilot, we should not be allowed to use customized liveries. I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but some of the liveries people are using aren’t very realistic.
Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #18
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessuno0505 View Post
The F-86 doesn’t have one now that I think about it
Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #19
zhukov032186

@Kongamato

Trim will never be stable if your speed, attitude, and altitude are changing, thus the 1st step to trimming properly is to stop changing the variables! Set a throttle position, leave it alone, wait for the speed to stabilise (or find a throttle position that appears to match the speed you're already doing) THEN trim.

It's not rocket science, nor a 'skill intensive' action, inexperienced pilots tend to overthink it =) Trim starts with ''do nothing'' (so your variables don't change) then ''do very little'' (turn a knob etc until the aircraft stabilises level) and ends with ''go get a beer'' =D

Formation flying is the same way. It's about everyone involved agreeing to ''do nothing'' at a given speed and course

Quote:
Originally Posted by heclak View Post
Coding in an autopilot when an aircraft doesn’t have one is not a straightforward affair. There’s no on/off or fly straight command as the flight model calculates a large number of forces then updates the next frame.

Coding an autopilot will require using something like a PID controller and you’ll probably need to tune it for each aircraft to avoid oscillations. Especially for aircraft that are less aerodynamically stable.
I can virtually guarantee the simple flight models the AI aircraft use to fly in a straight line are not complex dynamic calculations. That is supported by their frequently quirky behavior. Flicking the AI on with their associated flight model would require a hot key and a bit of coding to link the key to an AI on/off switch. Possibly a bit more complicated, but no, it would not inherently require a complex process.

Last edited by zhukov032186; 03-16-2019 at 10:58 PM.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote