VPC WarBRD Grip any opinion, review?

GriffonBR

Hi guys, does any one here got the VPC WarBRD Grip? There's a lot of reviews for the other products but none for the new VPC/WarBRD join ops. I'm interest to buy one to play with my T-50 base but, first I want to read some opinions from someone who already have one.

Thanks!:thumbup:

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

• 2 weeks later...

Strange that no one seems to have this yet.

I'd be interested in getting one, because it's pretty much an F-5 grip and also closely resembles the F-86 and F-4 grips.

The only reason I'm on the fence is because it's a twist grip, a function I won't be using. The T-50 base I have has very strong springs which I imagine can easily cause the stick to yaw.

Can the twist mechanism be disabled?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Noobifier's Youtube channel will shortly feature a review of this grip, likely within a week or less. He showed a pic of receiving a review stick a couple days ago on his Twitter feed.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

• 2 weeks later...

This guy made a video about this grip.:thumbup:

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

The only reason I'm on the fence is because it's a twist grip, a function I won't be using. The T-50 base I have has very strong springs which I imagine can easily cause the stick to yaw.

But leaving twist axis unassigned, even if grip unintentionally rotate a bit when commanding roll or pull-up will not cause any undesired effect.

BTW - WarBRD grip don't seems based on B-8 grip, but in Kamov Ka-26 grip - that may be "inspired" on B-8, but it's still a "Russian grip". ;)

http://www.bredow-web.de/Kamow_Ka-26_-_Cockpit.jpg

Edit - https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34164-forgotten-flight-sticks-il-2-spage-grip/?do=findComment&comment=759609

Edited by Sokol1_br

The problem with this grip is it has a very narrow focus.

It's missing a lot options.

Sure it's closer to warbrd frame but who really has only an interest in that exclusively?

I certainly don't and more hats and buttons gives greater flexibility.

So who spends €250 on a flightstick, with 18 buttons when you could get one with 35 buttons for €300.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

So who spends €250 on a flightstick, with 18 buttons when you could get one with 35 buttons for €300.

WarBRD grip "B-8" visual perhaps?

In similar way "who will spends $$$ on a F-14 stick with ~12 buttons when could get an Warthog with 19 or a VPC CM2 with ~26 or a VKB MCG PRO with ~30, for similar price." ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice "mod" for the thumb switch.

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

it is on sale at the moment (which means maybe they are going to stop making it and launch a newer version?)
To make room for the new VFX grip I guess

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

the Very F**king Xpensive grip ?
Lol true, true. f2282b7c92c7b66fd89942b1949f8067.jpg

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

BTW - WarBRD grip don't seems based on B-8 grip, but in Kamov Ka-26 grip - that may be "inspired" on B-8, but it's still a "Russian grip". ;)

You sure about this? The color scheme, including the white arrows around the trim HAT are very F-5. Also the bulge with the NWS button.

the Very F**king Xpensive grip ?

The "shut up and take my money" grip :D

Edited by Boris

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Which game is that please?
Air Missions: HIND

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up ordering this grip as it is currently on special.

I received it yesterday and must day that it totally meets my expectations. It's a solid little grip that in shape and functionality completely mirrors a B-8 grip as found in the F-5E (with thumb hat) and therefore also closely resembles the F-86 grip.

The twist axis (which I won't bee using due to pedals) is very solid and needs some force to move, which means it can't become accidentally activated by normal X/Y axis usage.

I am also able to offer first hand experience using the WarBRD grip. For reference, I am coming from at Warthog grip and base and using the WarBRD grip with a WarBRD base. Giving comments specifically on the grip (not the base):

1) Plastic grip feels solid. Even coming from the metal Warthog, I don't have a problem with it being plastic. It still feels solid and good quality.

2) The cable mount PS/2-type connector is a fiddle to install. It pulls out by about 3cm to make it easier, but it is still a fiddle and you want want to damage the pins. Not something you want to be doing with any regularity.

3) The black metal rotational thread at the bottom of the base is nicer looking than the silver cast metal thread on the Warthog. It does take a bit of a tight turn to get it locked firmly. Easier on the Warhog. But I still prefer the looks of the Virpil once set in place

4) The mounting system of the Virpil allows you to set a slight Z-axis rotation to the neutral position on the grip making it more realistic and comfortable for right handers.

5) You can't turn off the Z-axis from moving. It does not move very easily, but if you get exuberant with the stick it will turn. I'd prefer it does not have a Z-axis, but I suppose it is a nice bonus for people that don't want to buy a separate rudder. At least you have the option to not map the Z axis, so while the stick will still rotate, you can set it up so that it does not do anything.

6) The buttons feel good quality overall. I particularly like the trim hat and the 4 way Radar Mode selector switches.

7) The nose wheel steering button is too far low and left for me to easily reach it. While it is out of the way 99% of the time, which is good, it is an uncomfortable stretch (rather than a deliberate stretch) when you need to use it. Version 2... they really need to move this about 5-10mm closer to the palm.

8) While the grip is a close resemblance to the F-5E grip, the stick was in fact modelled on a Russian helicopter, the Ka-26. As such it is missing the F-5E's pitch damper cutoff switch. Kinda annoying... I wish it had this to avoid reaching for the keyboard in a dogfight.

9) I love the little LED on top. You can turn it off completely if you don't care, but I like it on red on minimum brightness. (Full brightness is distracting, low just ads some eye candy without you noticing unless specifically looking at it).

Conclusion: I love it.

But as an only grip it is too limiting... there are good quality grips out there with more buttons, so if you are flying later generation fighters or things like the A-10C just get a MCF, a Mongoose's T-50 CM2 (if you can find them in stock) or a Warthog (if you can't). But as a second grip for using with the F-5E, the F-4 when it comes out or a Sabre I think it is a great little luxury.

I say "little" luxury... while the grip was only about EUR90 when I bought it for a small discount, the problem is that you will not want to be swapping the grip on and off of a base with any regularity. So in this scenario you would then be looking at a base for each grip... which is an additional EUR 150... and then of course it starts to get more expensive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]