DCS: World on Steam

Slazi

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the Steam version installed, you have no autoupdater.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

do the updates get pushed out over steam if you are using steam, or still using the dcs updater?

One of the most attractive reasons for me considering switching to steam is the uber-slow dl speeds of the updater.

Steam Manages their own Updates and Files,

You login and it downloads the update from steam.

Just make sure you have the update options set to update automatically and stuff.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks. I use steam quite a bit, I just wasn't sure in this case if we were still going to be tied to the auto-updater (currently downloading at 30KB....)

I appreciate the confirmation... My only remaining hesitation is whether it is a safe bet that future 3rd party modules will all be making it to steam, and dcs world 2: Europe, etc. I know fc3 won't be there ever, but, I am not worried about that one. I own bs2, and a-10c... probably getting the huey next, so I'm good as far as current content.

Seems like they are more committed to steam this time around than the way it worked out in the past.

Thanks for the info.

• ED Team

I think it was said that it will be up to the 3rd party group, and I think I saw atleast one group state it depended on sales if they could afford to do the Steam thing, but dont quote me on that :)

Thanks. I use steam quite a bit, I just wasn't sure in this case if we were still going to be tied to the auto-updater (currently downloading at 30KB....)

I appreciate the confirmation... My only remaining hesitation is whether it is a safe bet that future 3rd party modules will all be making it to steam, and dcs world 2: Europe, etc. I know fc3 won't be there ever, but, I am not worried about that one. I own bs2, and a-10c... probably getting the huey next, so I'm good as far as current content.

Seems like they are more committed to steam this time around than the way it worked out in the past.

Thanks for the info.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

If that is the case, is it possible to integrate modules not available through steam into our steam dcs world?

I have no problem buying them through ED. I've bought bs1 and bs2 standalone versions, and a-10c through ED, and am happy to do that to put a little extra change in their pocket. Just don't want to go the steam route if I'm not going to be able to have some modules working on it in the future.

For example... let's say someone makes a Longbow module one day (my dream) but decides not to offer it on steam. Would I be SOL if I were using the steam dcs world, or could I still purchase and activate via ED, but integrate the files into the steam world?

The downloads are killing me with the non-steam version, but it's not worth having a potentially gimped steam version :) Wish it could be all or none.

If that is the case, is it possible to integrate modules not available through steam into our steam dcs world?

I have no problem buying them through ED. I've bought bs1 and bs2 standalone versions, and a-10c through ED, and am happy to do that to put a little extra change in their pocket. Just don't want to go the steam route if I'm not going to be able to have some modules working on it in the future.

For example... let's say someone makes a Longbow module one day (my dream) but decides not to offer it on steam. Would I be SOL if I were using the steam dcs world, or could I still purchase and activate via ED, but integrate the files into the steam world?

The downloads are killing me with the non-steam version, but it's not worth having a potentially gimped steam version :) Wish it could be all or none.

3rd Party Modules can be installed on steam fine. At least DRM Free ones can, cant say anything about DRM Modules.

In my experience/playing around, the ED/ED Partner/Integrated modules can be copied from a Standalone DCSW Install to a Steam Install as long as the version numbers match.

So Install Into DCSW Standalone, Activate, Exit, Copy the Module folder to Steam's Module folder.

Boot DCSW from Steam. Module will remain activated.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

but, i'd still have to keep a separate dcs world install in order to keep those modules up to date, and manually push them every time? which would defeat the purpose of moving to steam, if that is the case.

Will have more info after I run some tests tonight.

I'll test to see if Steam will update my 1.2.5 BS2 Module to 1.2.6 tonight when I let it update. (I didnt buy nor activate my BS2 through Steam).

if it does, That means BS2U will update as well, Since the only difference between BS2 and BS2U is the License Key, the module's themselves are the same, BS2U Installer just asks for BS1, and uses a Different "License".

Edited by SkateZilla

thanks. Though, I suspect it might since bs2 is an available module on steam. I'm more concerned about that potential future module that is not going to be available on steam... if that part of the update would be part of the steam update packages or not.

I appreciate the input.

thanks. Though, I suspect it might since bs2 is an available module on steam. I'm more concerned about that potential future module that is not going to be available on steam... if that part of the update would be part of the steam update packages or not.

I appreciate the input.

Well, I can say for Example,

F-100D by VRC Will not be on Steam.

it will be a Simple Download a RAR, Extract, Place the /F-100D/ Folder into the mods/Aircrafts/ folder.

Since it'll be Free and no DRM, it works, I've Installed it on multiple systems in my house as well as on multiple installs (Standalone, Steam etc).

As for DRM Protected from ED/ED Partners.

I copied my A-10, FC3, and P-51D Folders to DCSW on Steam w/ no problems using them, since they are activated.

The answer Im looking for tonight will be whether steam updates Modules based on what your purchased, or based on what it detects in your install folder.

The only module that would have the problem is prolly FC3, as the actual Module file prolly isnt even on their servers outside of a certain region.

I meant to do this test a while ago, but I had to wait for a Major Update to be pushed out, so I can backup/copy the old module folders before updating and comparing them.

Edited by SkateZilla

Thanks for your effort. If it is possible for someone to pass this query up the chain.

Specifically, if we would be able to not only use future, non-steam, 3rd party modules in steam, but if any updates to them would be included in the steam update packages.

i.e. someone makes and releases a bad ass u.s. attack heli that I have to have, but they elect to go the non-steam, and DRM route. If I buy and activate through ED would I be able to a) play it within a steam DCS world enviro (sounds like that is a yes) and b) would it get updated from within steam, or would I have to maintain a separate install to get those updates for said module (which would defeat the purpose of gong to steam).

Sounds like FC3 might be a good testing ground for this, so, if that does work for you, I'd say it is a yes. Would be nice to have an official word on this though, as it is the only thing holding me back from migrating my DCS content over to steam.

if the Module is Integrated into DCSW, then it will be updated with DCSW,

if it's a External Module (ie Download Extract/Install) and it's not Integrated into DCSW, then it's the 3rd Party Developer's job to push out updates.

Thanks, and no worries. I understand. If it can take advantage of more of my 50mb connection, I'd be happy :) I'll buy through the site here either way... whether I am playing on steam or not. If the bandwidth situation does improve quite a bit, then I wouldn't have much of a need to switch over to steam for playing at that point (other than most of my games being there)

Using Steam vs. Standalone Installation

Hi all!

I've been a long time DCS player, as well as a Steam user. So I was excited to hear that DCS:W was coming the Steam. I have a few questions I want sorted out, and the other threads are overflowing with conflicting information so I can't determine whats going on.

1. Will there be a delay with updates being pushed out onto the Steam platform?

2. Will DCS:W utilize Steam cloud? i.e. If I install on another PC / reinstall my OS will my profile / control scheme be synced over?

3. Will I be able to add all of my existing modules into Steam? At current I was able to copy-paste my P51 serial in and it activated the module, however BS2, FC3 and the Huey would return a invalid code error.

4. Will I still need an installation of BS1 before I can run BS2?

5. Do I still need to run the starforce activator if I am running though Steam? As I still have the standalone version installed I can't tell ATM

Hope you guys can help answer all these! I'll update my post with answers once I get them, to help others find the information they need.

Thanks guys :)

DCS Multiplayer Highlights Reel -

After some tests, Steam will not update modules that were copy/pasted from DCSW Standalone (ie FC3, or BS2Upgrade).

So if you use BS2U or FC3, then the best option is to use DCSW Externally and add it as a non steam game.

• 8 months later...
If I buy modules from the webpage, can I put the serial into Steam and have Steam keep them up to date?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113587

If I buy modules from the webpage, can I put the serial into Steam and have Steam keep them up to date?

Yes. However, since ED only updates Steam (with new key information) once a month, it may be a few weeks before Steam will accept the key.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: