Best Driver for a 1080 Ti

I was using 417.35 on my 1080Ti before I updated to a 2080Ti last week with 417.35 as well.

Prior to that I was using 391 (system had been very stable until a DCS update about 4 tor so weeks before 2.4.5 came out) but with some of the recent updates 2.5.3 and 2.5.4 I was getting seemingly random crashes with DCS so far that has not been the case. :music_whistling:

It's playing well with rift and DCS and Win10.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I was using 417.35 on my 1080Ti before I updated to a 2080Ti last week with 417.35 as well.

Prior to that I was using 391 (system had been very stable until a DCS update about 4 tor so weeks before 2.4.5 came out) but with some of the recent updates 2.5.3 and 2.5.4 I was getting seemingly random crashes with DCS so far that has not been the case. :music_whistling:

It's playing well with rift and DCS and Win10.

How does the new card stack up V the 1080Ti ?

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How does the new card stack up V the 1080Ti ?

Well I still only get 45FPS* however I do have more eye candy and get to add some more PD and AF filtering and shadows and way less ASW, all those trinkets with probably more head room. I don't push the GPU to 100% I tend to try and keep it to an average of around 80% to reduce the incidence of frame drops aka stutters. But folks that's DCS currently. :cry:

I'd be confident in saying that a >4.5ishGhz CPU can easily drive this card to 100% in DCS.

Having said that I think the 2080Ti is a great update as far as an upgrade in GPU is concerned it's not chalk and cheese but none the less a significant hardware upgrade.

Is the cost worth it maybe if it was about parity cost to the 1080Ti it would have felt like a reasonable thing depending on your take on bleeding edge tech costs but the cost is IMO too high.

I don't feel bad about buying it as I am building a second VR machine and it makes no sense to get the 2080 as it's really about at the 1080Ti level, as BitMaster puts it "we're a slave to the machine" that is DCS.

*Now I mostly fly helicopters and mostly low so a silky smooth 45FPS with as good an image quality as I can get is about normal for me at least and I haven't seen 90FPS in VR in game since deferred shading became a thing and my old 908Ti.

HTH

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Thanks for the reply mate. I may look to upgrade the 1080 later this year :)

Have you tried the new Nvidia overclock software yet?

@OP I have latest drivers installed too. All fine

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NineLine actually recommends updating to the the latest nVidia firmware for 2.5.4 so maybe it fixes some code incompatibilities with previous nVidia firmware and SDK.

OC, not yet but it's been like "Apple" stable for the last week. :thumbup:

But I do have to give some attention to heat they 2080Ti 's (this one) seems hotter than the 1080Ti.

AMD has put up some offerings at CES as well, I also understand that nVidia may have, shock horror a "30xx" series maybe last 3/4 this year so if your okay with the 1080Ti wait, also the upcoming DCS VR improvements should help with some of the performance issues. :D

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

I'm having a weird issue since I upgraded to my 1080 ti. MSAA (anti aliasing) isn't looking as good as it used to.

To be more precise, now it smoothes out some objects but not everything. Some stuff on the screen is left looking like MSAA had no effect on them.

So the picture is looking less sharp overall. Has anyone had that issue in the past?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm having a weird issue since I upgraded to my 1080 ti. MSAA (anti aliasing) isn't looking as good as it used to.

To be more precise, now it smoothes out some objects but not everything. Some stuff on the screen is left looking like MSAA had no effect on them.

So the picture is looking less sharp overall. Has anyone had that issue in the past?

Mmm 1080Ti or 2.5.4?

Oddly 2.5.4 update gave me this perception as well, initially even close to "peripheral" vision appeared well blurry over 2.5.3 VR image quality. I went through different settings just to attempt to get the same perceived image quality back.

I cant answer your question other then for me something seems to have changed in VR with 2.5.4.