PSA: Virtual CVWs should have a 'v' for 'virtual'

Nealius

@ the "Who cares?"-faction here ... he just made a suggestion in the hope that people might consider it. You disagree? Fine, then don't consider it. But wtf is the point here in actively fighting against his suggestion? Seems that YOU care way too much, not the OP.

*facepalm*

It seems its the way these forums are going, seems like it can be any subject someone will just go on a rant or be rude to a fellow poster and now we cant even give negative rep to the obnoxious.

:doh:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At least its not just this forum. It's all of the internet. Common courtesy in discourse is something our grandparents did. Probably because they would punch someone if they were obnoxious, a luxury we netizens don't have.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

PSA: Virtual CVWs should have a 'v' for 'virtual'

I always thought that went without saying. :thumbup:

It's a bit of a surprise that some posters seem violently offended by that idea. Well, to each their own. [insert Arnie meme and fake "I'm offended by y'alls!" here.]

I'll add my $.02...

I can see both sides. Yes, a "v" would prevent someone from accidentally clicking on something they didn't mean to and would save them a mouse click or two. No, a missing "v" is not a big deal.

I think what my vShipmates are reacting to is the subtle implication that a missing "v" is some sort of stolen valor thing. It's been more explicitly stated in other forums and it ruffles our feathers. We bristle at that suggestion. We have a core of vets in our air wing and, believe me, if anyone tried to represent something they weren't, A) we'd know in about 5 seconds and B) they'd be virtually tarred and feathered and booted out on their asses. We've booted members who simply tried to misrepresent a pilot rating... or perhaps it was for being so stupid as to lie about something that can be verified in about four mouse clicks.

Anyway, I'll encourage my vShipmates to chill out a little bit. Sailors, you know how they can get.....

Capture.JPG.080512a65dde9439354ee43ce526b215.JPG

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

@ the "Who cares?"-faction here ... he just made a suggestion in the hope that people might consider it. You disagree? Fine, then don't consider it. But wtf is the point here in actively fighting against his suggestion? Seems that YOU care way too much, not the OP.

*facepalm*

Naming a post "PSA: you should..." smacks of self righteous indignation. If the OP doesn't want snark, he shouldn't kick off with it.

I don't care that some people do or don't associate military ranks and squadron/wing emblems with their in-game personas.

I DO care when people try to curtail the ability of others to do something for no good reason.

The penchant for people trying to control what other people do without good cause is a pox on our species, and this topic itself is a symptom of the greater disease. Trying to restrict someone from adopting a non-offensive moniker in an online game? C'mon...

a-few-good-men.jpg?w=968&h=544&crop=1

I understand the last mission is about getting the truth from Col. Jessup.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Okay so...

You've posted this on hoggit, and it got pretty sourly received there

You posted this on the DCS facebook group, and got the same reaction

You've posted this here, and it's getting roughly the same.

At what point are you going to go "you know what, maybe it's me" and just leave this alone.

Okay so...

You've posted this on hoggit, and it got pretty sourly received there

You posted this on the DCS facebook group, and got the same reaction

You've posted this here, and it's getting roughly the same.

At what point are you going to go "you know what, maybe it's me" and just leave this alone.

Wow

This is GREATbiggrin.gif

~

To the OP, I get your point. It would be respectful for virtual wings and squadrons to have “v” in front of their websites and videos. It would also keep the confusion down on what is a real wing and what isn’t. But honestly is this really hurting anyone? If people want to dress up in a flight suit and say “look at me I’m a fighter pilot,” who is it hurting? If they enjoy flying the Hornet with a big Tomcat on their wall let them. But for god sake don’t ask to be on their VNAO list, the requirements for that are secret!

Edited by Ryeman

To the OP, I get your point. It would be respectful for virtual wings and squadrons to have “v” in front of their websites and videos. It would also keep the confusion down on what is a real wing and what isn’t. But honestly is this really hurting anyone? If people want to dress up in a flight suit and say “look at me I’m a fighter pilot,” who is it hurting? If they enjoy flying the Hornet with a big Tomcat on their wall let them. But for god sake don’t ask to be on their VANO list, the requirements for that are secret!

Whats the VANO some kind of Freemasons club? No genuine question i dont know what VANO means :)

So true story, if you think adding the “v” is a bit of a nitpick, wait until the actual military group sends you a cease and desist order for copyright infringement. It’s not pretty. Adding the “v” actually does help you with that. The OP is trying to help people. If you don’t want to take his advice don’t. But if you get a C&D, you’ll have to do what he is saying anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nealius, your first few posts boil down to

Some neckbeard gamertard acted like a fool and

Random people on the internet are too stupid to be able to clearly differentiate between video game content and real footage and

A combination of morons consisting of mostly civilian wannabes and a few stuck up ''veterans'' presented some faux outrage about ''stolen valor'' or ''OpSec'' etc

These are all extremely common phenomenom, and nothing will ever change that. Are you new to the internet and modern social media culture? You are yourself filling in the last element, the ''Omg you guys, think of the children! Won't anybody think of the CHILDREN?!'' Pretending that any of this matters, or that anybody particularly cares what you think, and playing the victim card when people point out how ludicrous your demand is.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

So true story, if you think adding the “v” is a bit of a nitpick, wait until the actual military group sends you a cease and desist order for copyright infringement. It’s not pretty. Adding the “v” actually does help you with that. The OP is trying to help people. If you don’t want to take his advice don’t. But if you get a C&D, you’ll have to do what he is saying anyway.

I doubt it, but even if it DID happen a C&D letter is just that. A letter, usually threatening legal action that may or may not even be actionable. It's neither ugly nor pretty. It's a letter.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

In the end, it shouldn't matter. No civilian entity can copyright CVW-xxx anyways. They've already been done by the USN. Ran into this while running with a gaming clan back in the day. We were the 10th Mountain Division and had several people try to take our founder to court over it. They were all thrown out due to the fact that those are copyrights held by the US Army. They can suck it up and drive on like everyone else. Is it common courtesy? Yes. Is it something that is legally actionable? Not unless the Army/Navy/Corps decide they're bored and want to sue you over it.

Why is the rum always gone!?!?!?!

Well when someone sends you a message accusing you of copying an established vCVW just for making a cinematic titled with 'CVW-00,' this gets relevant real quick.

That and when some vCVWs upload content, and people ask them to indicate that they aren't the real CVW, those vCVW members go on a hissy fit about "we're a group of veterans blah blah blah." The community should be better than that.

I roughly paraphrase you from another forum post I had the pleasure of reading:

"I never had trouble with this, henceforth, you shouldn't either. Otherwise: Go for AceCombat."

---

But in all honesty, what is the problem here? Let people name themselves however they want. If people really think that an acronym like that can be copyrighted in every country of the world for it to matter globally ... no .. just no ..

Set a good example and if it makes sense, it will spread on it's own.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

E.g. 'vCVW-00'

With the Hornet already out there are a few vCVWs out there, and with the Tomcat releasing there will undoubtedly be more. Online groups are cool. Online groups are fun. Many strive for realism, which is also cool and fun. But vCVWs still need to be delineated as being virtual groups.

Why?

First, a precedent has already been set with virtual Fighter Groups (vFG), virtual Fighter Wings (vFW), and virtual Fighter Squadrons (vFS).

Second, there are three CVWs: The real CVW, the virtual group CVW, and media depicting aircraft of CVWs in DCS. Naming all three 'CVW' has caused unnecessary confusion and drama. People have duplicated established vCVWs. Members of vCVWs have accused YouTube content as duplicating a vCVW when it's just content depicting a CVW's jets. No doubt the latter is caused by the former, since having one's online group copied will understandably put them on edge a little, ready to pounce on the next person who tries to copy them. There's even been some confusion between the real CVW and the vCVW: Titling a video 'CVW-00' with a picture of a real jet, but having vCVW content, is essentially clickbait.

So to avoid confusion and adhere to the already established online community standards, please use an extra 'v' in your virtual CVW.

Good one dude, you actually had me going for a minute. Oh wait, you're serious...good luck with that.