WOW!! HTC Vive VR something I stumbled on

Sr.

Full disclosure, I have quit playing DCS in VR mode several times out of frustration. Even to the point of wishing I hadn't bought the VR gear and just went with Trackir since the best I was getting even at the lowest settings under the VR tab was 18-22 fps, and jittery cockpit, terrain looked jaggedy...just terrible.

Running the HTC Vive Cosmos Elite.

I had followed more guides, tweaked resolutions, restarted, tweaked some more... quit trying for the last time.

Earlier today my Grandaughter tells me that Halflife Alyx is crashing(VR):(

So off I go, hours into trying to trouble shoot THAT game... I ultimately removed and completely reinstalled the Vive setup application. Viveport app, SteamVR etc.

Tried getting HL Alyx to run(still no luck), so I start firing up other games to see how if they are still working too.

Opened DCS (Steam VR) and of course since I had last played on monitors I had to select VR mode in the main menu and relaunch....

To my shock and surprise, I am now getting a very steady and GORGEOUS 45fps!!!

I am blown away at the difference, the smoothness, no more jiggly, jerky cockpit, and stuttering looking out the window.

I'm continuing to experiment with video settings to see how far I can push it.

01.thumb.jpg.10785b15df64cb917a888795539a3a7a.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Å ääååååääääääqoaiqiq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol

wut?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

So what did you stumble on exactly? Feel like I am missing something. Not being a troll, just can’t figure. Are you suggesting deleting and reinstall everything or what?

Thanks

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

So what did you stumble on exactly? Feel like I am missing something. Not being a troll, just can’t figure. Are you suggesting deleting and reinstall everything or what?

Thanks

What I got from his post is that even tho his granddaughter still can't play Alyx, he's just happy that DCS is fixed.

• Like 1

What I got out of this is that something was wrong with the installation, and his attempt to solve his daughter's problem led him to do a reinstall that somehow fixed whatever was broken in his original install.

So, if you have abnormally low performance compared to others, the problem might be a minor driver/software issue that can be overcome with a complete uninstall/cleanup/reinstall, which is generally true with almost any PC hardware in a windows environment, especially with Windows, gpu drivers, and VR drivers constantly being patched.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I got out of this is that something was wrong with the installation, and his attempt to solve his daughter's problem led him to do a reinstall that somehow fixed whatever was broken in his original install.

So, if you have abnormally low performance compared to others, the problem might be a minor driver/software issue that can be overcome with a complete uninstall/cleanup/reinstall, which is generally true with almost any PC hardware in a windows environment, especially with Windows, gpu drivers, and VR drivers constantly being patched.

Pretty much, and just sharing in my elation of being able to run it at far greater than 18-20 fps :megalol:

--Arthur C Clark

But did you fix it for your granddaughter? Or does she not even have a chance now you're on the Vive with DCS?

Nah her game is still broken (Half Life AlyxVr) was working fine for months up until several days ago. Now it just crashes and exits at the same point while loading. I've pretty much done nothing but troubleshoot it since. I've installed and reinstalled everything 4 or 5 times. But she's off to camp, so maybe I can get it going by the time she gets back.

--Arthur C Clark

Maybe you simply enabled reprojection/ASW?

I think I enabled that in the Vive console just out curiosity... it made the strangest effect during DCS. Best I can describe was a water rippling kind of effect. Very off putting.

Think they call it "Motion Compensation"

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 years later...

I experienced the exact situation as Sr. and I have almost the same system but with a Vive Pro 2 HMD. I came up with the same thought "with Windows, gpu drivers, and VR drivers constantly being patched and updated".  Save your goodies and delete the entire DCS WORLD...  EVERYTHING   Start like a newb, I do use OvGME, I have 19 Aircraft Mods, all the asset packs and maps - unbelievable difference.  DCS OB takes me about 3.5 hrs to do a new install, including installing all my DCS Modules and update with my saved historical files(logbook, controls, etc).  Note to self - Repeat for next big upgrade or periodically as may be needed.   The graphics are amazing, Thank You DCS!!!