HC_Official

currently as listed here https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_enum_trigger

we have

0 = Green

1 = Red

2 = White

3 = Orange

4 = Blue

it would be really nice if we had black smoke in this list as well to simulate burning stuff

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

It does already exist !? Black smoke with or without fire and different sizes.

[ATTACH]209173[/ATTACH]

Correct it does not exist

The smoke triggers I listed last for 5 minutes then stop

The ones you are showing run forever and do not stop

No more pre-orders

Wrong smoke for the task

to simulate burning stuff

Smoke marker is a smoke marker, it does not belong to the effect group and yes it lasts 5 minutes, as intended and close to RL.

Now, to simulate burning stuff you can use EFFECT-SMOKE under trigger actions.

It does exactly what you need, it is black(ish), it burns, and it is trigger happy.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Smoke marker is a smoke marker, it does not belong to the effect group and yes it lasts 5 minutes, as intended and close to RL.

Now, to simulate burning stuff you can use EFFECT-SMOKE under trigger actions.

It does exactly what you need, it is black(ish), it burns, and it is trigger happy.

So how do you stop it?

No more pre-orders

I don't think you can. Maybe something ED has planned for later but as far as I am aware this effect is there for the duration of a mission.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I don't think you can. Maybe something ED has planned for later but as far as I am aware this effect is there for the duration of a mission.

exactly, you cannot stop any of those effects

now do you understand why I created this thread ?

It would be good to have a smoke effect that either stops after a while eg 5 mins or has a triggered "OFF" command

Edited by HC_Official

No more pre-orders

No, I don't.

Units that you destroy explode nicely and burn for a period of time.

If you want to simulate burning of other objects you can use that effect. Simple as that. Why would it need to burn for exactly five minutes? Not a single fire burns exactly same outside of a lab environment.

Besides, do you hang around for five minutes to watch it burn?

I have got nothing against, doesn't bother me at all, just saying.

I was kinda wanting this for doing fun stuff like simulating a moving forest fire

so start some black smoke at position X , wait 2 mins start another smoke at x + 10 metres ... repeat etc so it appears the forest fire is moving

Of course if we had a :Stop trigger command for the big fire and or smoke it would not be requesting this

No more pre-orders

The point is that these coloured puffs of smoke are the smoke markers, basically. Canisters that burn for a more or less set amount of time.

Having the options to switch effects on and off through scripts sounds like a good idea really, to simulate a scenario evolving with fires breaking out, for example through ground fighting which is supposed to be atmospheric and doesn't warrant all the workload necessary for real units, which would also be a bit unpredictable in regards of hitting buildings.

Being able to switch them back off wouldn't be a big effort then, I believe, and while there are fewer reasons to want it, it might come in handy to simulate fires being put out and such.

Definitely +1 for an option to turn off the big fire and smoke effects or letting them burn for a defined period of time. They look nice but also eat up resources.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

• 2 weeks later...
They look nice but also eat up resources.

Just to help with the resources bit,

On the Storm of War server, we've used the static smoke effects with the "density" set to its lowest possible value, which I think is 0.1 (it defaults at 1.0).

This drastically reduces the performance hit, whilst still looking pretty good. In fact, visually, I far prefer the lower density value because the smoke looks more whispy/ hazy and doesn't start and stop so abruptly like the full density setting.

Doing this means we can have 10 or more smoke effects in visual range without any appreciable impact on FPS for players. If set to full density, having more than 3 or 4 starts to tax the frame rates.

Maybe give it a try?

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Smoke control is vital. Ability to run smoke for time, ability for Big smoke to sync in MP (wont show to clients joining after created), ability to turn Big Smoke off is very important for mission design.

The 5 minutes thing with normal smoke, I can live with that, been working around it for a long time, a 5 minute refresh is easy enough, but the actual smoke is to vertical for a normal infantry marker, it's normally only 10-20 feet high and disperses quite broadly and is less concentrated. Current smoke is way to highly visible (>10 miles)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I wanted this to simulate damaged, burning moving tank. Since moving the effect with the tank was not possible I wanted to create new smoke at the new position and remove the old. But realized it is not possible. Would be nice for creating a firefighting mission for the helos as well.

+1

• 2 months later...