Model Enlargment not working

DayGlow

Even when I set them to very large I don't seem to get any imposers at all. I remember them being huge on my 3 screen setup, but with my Oculus I can't see them at all.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

well that explains why I can't see anything. Wish they kept them until they figured it out.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

Guess I will try labels, but they are magic show everything, even with the ones using dots vs actually having to scan for slightly larger objects.

This sucks ... really! Cant fly and spot targets in VR now. Nice Start in DCS-VR 2017 ... thanks! :mad:

Give it time. VR is new they will fix it im sure but give them time they have a lot on their plate. Also, I have no problem, but thats because I dont go over 1.5 SS, the higher your SS the smaller the pixels at a distance, and they will get blurred out when down sampled. There are pros/cons/ to all of this new tech, gotta learn to adapt or and be patient.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Sure, they have all the time they need to bring new Planes, Maps and so on. But why remove a cool feature without something to replace it? For me it´s not playable at this time ... i cant see any tank or something untill they hit me. ok, with labels on i can find them but this sucks lot more :-)

im go and fly some holdingpattern, touch and go´s and air refueling :-)

Sure, they have all the time they need to bring new Planes, Maps and so on. But why remove a cool feature without something to replace it? For me it´s not playable at this time ... i cant see any tank or something untill they hit me. ok, with labels on i can find them but this sucks lot more :-)

im go and fly some holdingpattern, touch and go´s and air refueling :-)

Weird i really dont have this issue, or at least not to the extent you are explaining. Maybe its a settings issue. Anyway, i had heard that they removed it to re-evaluate a new method they were working on, again this is just what i heard, i have no concrete evidence. We will see, just be patient.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

What are your Setting? Maybe i have done something wrong ...

Here is what i commonly use, and my SS on the VR tab ranges from 1.5 to 2.0 depending on what im playing, less for WW2 stuff due to visual spotting, closer to 2.0 on anything BVR (ignore the resolution, i turned VR mode off to take the screenshot)

VRIeNjq.png

Edited by Jabbers_

Exactly the same setting ... except the MSAA, there i have 8x. :cry:

I will try it without MSAA . Thanks!

MSAA is going to wash out targets, especially on small pixel targets, you will get a blurred contrast, equaling less contrast :)

Exactly the same setting ... except the MSAA, there i have 8x. :cry:

I will try it without MSAA . Thanks!

Did you see the difference? Just curious?:smartass:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Did you see the difference? Just curious?:smartass:

Here is an example of what SS + MSAA can do for contrast. This is obviously an example not a real image, I suppose I could do that as well, but maybe this will help get the point across

qYik5a5.png

You can see in the image above the object that would be least visible at a distance (pixels are purposely large in the image) is the last one which would be the equivalent of SS 2.0 MSAA 8x

I have tested it an yes, i see the difference. Without AA a little bit better, but not as good as with the Model Enlargement.

Have rolled back the Version with Model Enlargement. Now i can do some Dogfights :-)

Without it is not possible for me to fight against an SU with my F15 in "close combat".

Pleas ED! Bring back the Modelenlargement !

I have tested it an yes, i see the difference. Without AA a little bit better, but not as good as with the Model Enlargement.

Have rolled back the Version with Model Enlargement. Now i can do some Dogfights :-)

Without it is not possible for me to fight against an SU with my F15 in "close combat".

Pleas ED! Bring back the Modelenlargement !

Which version still has it working, might I ask?

I did some extensive testing today, and it's certainly broken as is. But here is the experience (multiple Oculus users were testing with me).

We used TACAN yardstick to verify distances.

1. At 9-10nms, we appear as dots to each other. (this is too far but let's not go there)

2. We are able to see each other clearly as dots until we get to 3nm. At 3nm, we disappear from each other.

3. At ~1.5 we are visible again.

This was re-produced 5-6 times with all players changing the values from OFF to LARGE, and the mission being re-saved (as the server settings when the mission file is saved effects this enforcement).

There is no change no matter what you set the values to, this experience is the same for all testers, and not really playable for dogfighting at the moment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

so was this hard coded out or can we import .lua or other files from earlier versions to make them work? Just thinking since the menu option is still there.

• 5 months later...

I can't give you model enlargement, but you can get a crude enhancement using customised labels. If you put the following in your Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\Labels.lua file, you will get range-limited, dot-only labels that don't show which side the target is. Its not perfect - the labels show through clouds and the cockpit, but it might be an acceptable stop-gap for you.

-- Label parameters
-- Copyright (C) 2004, Eagle Dynamics.

AirOn = true
GroundOn = true
NavyOn = true
WeaponOn = true

---------------------------------
-- Label text format symbols
-- (Symbol): ` [ ] { } ' | ~
-- %N - name of object
-- %D - distance to object
-- %P - pilot name