Do mobile ground targets run away?

Ranma13

I'm still new to A-10C and I'm still learning how to pilot the plane, so I've only been doing Instant Action missions thus far, but from what I've noticed, mobile ground targets (jeeps, trucks, tanks, etc...) don't ever run away after you bomb a target around them.

For example, if you attack two trucks and only hit one, the other truck will drive a short distance, stops, and then doesn't ever budge again. Same goes for tanks that are either sitting still or traveling on a road.

Does anyone know if this is common behavior throughout the game, or is this only for the instant action missions to make it easier to attack the targets?

It's up to the mission builder. By default, they will disperse under fire. However, it's probably set to false for those units in the missions you are flying.

Edit: If they never move, then "Disperse while under fire" is set to false. If they do move a short bit, then it's true.

If the units have no other waypoints and are under attack, they will move only a short distance, sometimes they will move again, but they don't go very far.

Edited by Quirkitized

Thanks for the response. Well that's a minor disappointment. The units do disperse, but then just sit there afterwards, waiting to get killed one by one. This means that an easy way to take out a group of tanks moving down the road is simply to Maverick one of the tanks, wait for them to finish dispersing, then just fly overhead and drop bombs on them as if they were bridges. Makes it significantly easier than if they actually dispersed and started running away.

Just like real life. You can't run forever, and if it's from a stand off weapon like a maverick, its just a guess where it came from, unless you actually have eyes on the plane. If you are lucky you get to hide where they can't see or find you. Being in a tank (or any vehicle)can really suck if your opponent has air superiority and fly around in groups of 2 picking you off one by one. People have been known to abandon their vehicles when the ones around them start blowing up suddenly. It would be nice if the ai actually had them looking for better cover, and I have had them hide next to buildings and in the trees, but that may have been just the area they where in when the first round was on target.If you get too close they will shoot at you also and try to track you.

Edited by snafup

Trying to escape air attack by driving away is useless as the plane will catch you easily (duh). When moving you won't be able to hide either. If you can't fight back your only other option is to quickly drive the vehicle under some cover or somehow make it harder to see from air and then abandon it and run far enough of it so that possible stray CBU bomblet won't catch you. All we are missing in DCS is the people running away from their vehicles.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

I don't know about that...somehow I have a hard time believing that military doctrine is "oh crap, an airplane is bombing us, everyone abandon their vehicles and run away!". Not to mention that even infantry stands absolutely still in the sim as you strafe them.