Oculus ASW vs Steam equivalent @ Sep 2020

jason_peters

I currently have a rift S and had a CV1 before that. I briefly flirted with a PIMax headset but it was very stuttery compared to Oculus

Now thinking of moving to a HP Reverb G2 (when it comes out) but was wondering what the equivalent to ASW wizardry is like .

Its tricky to get high FPS in VR in DCS hence ASW (or equivalent) neds to work well. Does anyone have experience thats up to date with how the steam VR works specifically with DCS and how it compares to Oculus

Thanks

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

I currently have a rift S and had a CV1 before that. I briefly flirted with a PIMax headset but it was very stuttery compared to Oculus

Now thinking of moving to a HP Reverb G2 (when it comes out) but was wondering what the equivalent to ASW wizardry is like .

Its tricky to get high FPS in VR in DCS hence ASW (or equivalent) neds to work well. Does anyone have experience thats up to date with how the steam VR works specifically with DCS and how it compares to Oculus

Thanks

If you plan to go reverb, it uses motion vector which is WMR equivalent.

I am using an Index right now, but I tried WMR and the motion vector didn’t seem bad to me.

I don’t know if it still the case but there is an overhead as wmr devices need another software for using with steamvr (wmr for steamvr) which eats some millisecond per frame...

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Thanks

I used Oculus Rift for 3 years before getting HP Reverb in the end of last year.

From my opinion, the eqvivalent to Oculus ASW, Motionreprojection, is better than ASW. Maybe not by much but I did get a smoother ride when getting the Reverb compared to the Oculus rift.

This despite having a brand new powerfull computer to which running the oculus rift wasnt a to hard job.

Im sensitive to stutter and non smooth gaming, and with the Reverb I can happily accept motionreprojection in 45fps and use the overhead computer power to get better visuals.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I'm very concerned by this also, since I currently got an Oculus Rift S and have a Reverb G2 on the way. Thanks to the OP for asking the question before I did.

As far as I remember (I might be wrong, so don't hesitate to correct me), Oculus' ASW 2.0 is far superior to 1.0. But in DCS, we only have ASW 1.0 since this first version works natively with every games. And on the contrary ASW 2.0 requires some game developpers involvements (even if minor), which will not happen with DCS because ED has a policy of not promoting techs that only benefits to the customers of a single trademark. The same situation goes with nVidia's DLSS. I understand their position, even if, as an Oculus and nVidia's products owner, I would be glad to see such improvements in DCS!

Moreover, if I refer to the excellent Thuds' site "vr4dcs", he mentionned that "It is close to or better than the Oculus implementation as of this date" (refering to Steam's motionreprojection vs Oculus' ASW)

I have good hopes the reprojection will behave quite well when I'll be able to use the G2. But I'm highly interrested in some reports from users who were able to compare both techs.

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Thanks for the reply's

Of late I have had a stutter due to Oculus SW updates and think Oculus is not the company which will put any effort into our world of detailed simulation - probably not the long term way to go for me......therefore....

Took the plunge and ordered a G2

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

Hi guys,

I've had the Samsung odyssey since day one and have only just enabled motion vector for the first time today. It felt super smooth which was great. However I had to turn it off since I was flying TH p47 and it made some horrid looking artifacts with the prop as it was spinning. So it is between using that and having a janky experience. Neither is great. Maybe someone has any experience?

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Hi guys,

I've had the Samsung odyssey since day one and have only just enabled motion vector for the first time today. It felt super smooth which was great. However I had to turn it off since I was flying TH p47 and it made some horrid looking artifacts with the prop as it was spinning. So it is between using that and having a janky experience. Neither is great. Maybe someone has any experience?

From HW spec, you should be pretty good for Odyssey.

But you need to tells you in game settings, PD settings, SteamVR setting, WRM setting etc. And what mission on what map. It matters.

For example, Persian gulf is way better than Normandy, for example.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

From HW spec, you should be pretty good for Odyssey.

But you need to tells you in game settings, PD settings, SteamVR setting, WRM setting etc. And what mission on what map. It matters.

For example, Persian gulf is way better than Normandy, for example.

I'm not at my pc at the moment, the settings are all fairly high. With motion vector disabled the fps is between 45-90fps on all maps and missions. But that isn't really the issue and my in game settings shouldn't be related to this. So the issue I am having is the horrid artifacting when motionvector (or asw if that's what its called) is enabled, the game runs super smooth when it's on but the propellor on the P47 has werid effects showing making it look awful.

The alternative is to disable asw and have the sim run between 45fps and 90 but the game is not smooth, it feels janky when moving around.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I believe there is a patch in user downloads for the spinning prop issue

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD

I'm not at my pc at the moment, the settings are all fairly high. With motion vector disabled the fps is between 45-90fps on all maps and missions. But that isn't really the issue and my in game settings shouldn't be related to this. So the issue I am having is the horrid artifacting when motionvector (or asw if that's what its called) is enabled, the game runs super smooth when it's on but the propellor on the P47 has werid effects showing making it look awful.

The alternative is to disable asw and have the sim run between 45fps and 90 but the game is not smooth, it feels janky when moving around.

So two things. Even w/o ASW, it shouldn't feel bad when you move around. Not for Odyssey and your spec.

But the artifact for props is a well known thing. It's very personal, meaning some people hate it, some don't seem to mind etc. I'm in the latter camp so I don't know the status of the fix. I thought it was addressed at one point, but I could be way off base.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I used Oculus Rift for 3 years before getting HP Reverb in the end of last year.

From my opinion, the eqvivalent to Oculus ASW, Motionreprojection, is better than ASW. Maybe not by much but I did get a smoother ride when getting the Reverb compared to the Oculus rift.

This despite having a brand new powerfull computer to which running the oculus rift wasnt a to hard job.

Im sensitive to stutter and non smooth gaming, and with the Reverb I can happily accept motionreprojection in 45fps and use the overhead computer power to get better visuals.

That is exactly my experience, I was very sensitive to the Rift dropping down to 45fps but barely notice the Reverb doing so.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

That is exactly my experience, I was very sensitive to the Rift dropping down to 45fps but barely notice the Reverb doing so.

Well that is good to hear, I was thinking Oculus ASW technique was likely better.

I will find out soon enough when I get my G2.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|