WMR VR Appears Janky When Window Selected (Looks fine on monitor mirror)

hazzer

Hi,

I have an ongoing issue with WMR VR, I am using the original Samsung Odyssey.

This is something that I noticed the other day and is making DCS unplayable.

When in an aircraft (doesn't matter what) I have notice that any movement created a very nauseating janky effect (not too different from screentearing, but instead of it looking like the screen it was like the aircraft I was sat in.

I noticed a couple of thing from this:

looking on the 2d mirror view on my monitor, the jankieness was not present at all, I could see it in the VR headset but not in the mirror.

The issue seemed to be greatly reduced when I selected another tab or window on the computer so that DCS wasn't the main window.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue as I can no longer play this game that I have spent so much time and money on.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I suspect, you are not using motion vectoring/smoothing, try setting it to enabled in steam for dcs

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I suspect, you are not using motion vectoring/smoothing, try setting it to enabled in steam for dcs

Thanks,

It turned out to be a cpu piroity issue. When dcs was selected windows vr processes were not a priority, change them to high and its fixed.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Still having this issue. Fps are steady 45plus and yet the game in the headset is unplayable. Felt sick after 2 minutes of sitting in the cockpit looking around. Lost for ideas on why the performance is reduced when looking in the vr view.

its difficult to say without knowing what your setting and config is and with out understanding what is running ... I really recommend you get FPSVR (it costs about 5$) and you can use that to get some diagnostic information.

See my 2.5.6 settings which should give you a good starting point.

But it could be environmental, by that background services or programs running and interfering , it could be you are on an unstable OC.. etc...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

its difficult to say without knowing what your setting and config is and with out understanding what is running ... I really recommend you get FPSVR (it costs about 5$) and you can use that to get some diagnostic information.

See my 2.5.6 settings which should give you a good starting point.

But it could be environmental, by that background services or programs running and interfering , it could be you are on an unstable OC.. etc...

Hi there,

so I purchased FPSVR, this showed me an issue which I have now been made aware of. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=286418

Here is a video of it running, you can see my usage.

So I am currently trying to work out if the 'jankieness' issue is soley due to the fps dropping down or if it is caused by something else. As in the past I have managed to have the fps lower and it felt far smoother!

Does anyone else experience the jankieness that I talk about?

Edited by hazzer

Following up on this, a large part of this issue was hardware acceleration being enabled. That solved the FPS tanking. It hasn't solved most of the issue though.

I have discovered that it is likely due to the FPS fluctuating a fair amount. When the FPS is stable at 90 there are no janky issues. The same can be said when ASW is enabled in WMR for steamvr settings. However, there are horrible artefacts which appear when that is enabled. So it is either, weird jank when looking around OR smooth with horrible artefacts.

Neither option is great.

Any other solution would be appreciated.

so looking just at your frame times, you look good... CPU and GPU times are excellent. my guess is you are not actually using Motion Vectoring? you can't quite make 90fps but with those frame times you should switch on MV

so looking just at your frame times, you look good... CPU and GPU times are excellent. my guess is you are not actually using Motion Vectoring? you can't quite make 90fps but with those frame times you should switch on MV

Yeah, so for the first time I have turned on motion vectoring and it was silky smooth! However in the P47 the propellor was glitchy when it is enabled and made it pretty much unplayable as it was distracting, is this just something I'm going to have to deal with when talking MV? Or should that not happen?

If it is just how it will be then I can't stand to use it, maybe there is another solution to make looking around in the sim smoother without the awful janky view issues? Still seems crazy to me that having higher (albeit fluctuating) fps actually makes it seem like you are running a sideshow.

I can't speak to the p47 as i dont have that module, but if you want it smooth i strongly suggest you turn it on.

and create a bug in the p47 module forums for the prop ?

I can't speak to the p47 as i dont have that module, but if you want it smooth i strongly suggest you turn it on.

and create a bug in the p47 module forums for the prop ?

Thing is it only appears when asw is on, I assumed it was just an issue with that. Have you experienced any artifacting?

I have not had the issue you reference, occasionally I get "double vision" around an object that flickers in and out usually when looking out the sides... But as I said not with prop on the spit or the mustang, which are the two props I have, though I am aware some people get wound up about an issue, but, it's nothing I have seen personally.