Are the throttles linked in the real A-10C?

Ranma13

On the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, the throttles can be linked to one another using a lever that links the left throttle to the right throttle. Is this how it is on the real A-10C as well? Or is this linking lever merely for convenience only?

It's a feature of the TM HOTAS only.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Am I not supposed to full blast them after take-off? With a full weapon load at level flight, I'm only pushing 240 knots or so. Once I get to the target area, I reduce the throttle to minimum for dives, but then full blast them once I'm pulling up. For the missions that I'm doing, I always run out of weapons before I run out of fuel, so maximizing orbit time is not really a concern.

Throttle response is so slow in the A-10 the use of speed brakes to slow down instead of reducing the throttle has been posted as a real word technique. So don't sweat it.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Am I not supposed to full blast them after take-off? With a full weapon load at level flight, I'm only pushing 240 knots or so. Once I get to the target area, I reduce the throttle to minimum for dives, but then full blast them once I'm pulling up. For the missions that I'm doing, I always run out of weapons before I run out of fuel, so maximizing orbit time is not really a concern.

Well, it places a lot more stress on the engines. In real life, your time on station is also crucial. For strikes against a fixed target, you will need to strike at a specific time which will plan for less than full speed enroute (otherwise, if you fall behind, you can't catch up). If you are flying CAS, then you want to fly at maximum economy speed to maximize your time in the air.

On combat aircraft, the wear and tear at full thrust is often of secondary concern. On the civillian side of things, takeoffs are almost always "derated", meaning they use less than full thrust. This prolongs engine life and increases the safety of engine performance on takeoff. On the combat side of things where there aren't 1-200 lives behind you and you have an expedient egress from the aircraft, it is easier to take chances. Still, it shouldn't be abused.

On diving attacks, you may not want to be at flight idle either. It seems nice to be flying slow and have more time to line up a gun run, but this also gives the enemy time to line up on you. Generally speaking, you want to run in and run out fast to minimize TOT. Obviously you do need to pay attention to your maximum airspeed and be certain you will not overshoot this. Otherwise, fast is good. While exact profiles will vary by mission, gun runs over in the sand box are being flown frequently pushing in to a 60 degree dive from angels 10 or higher, pully off with 310-320 kts and a hard deck at 5,000'. Sure minizes the time down in the danger zone.

FWIW I saw a A-10 pilot in Bagram (Afghanistan) get his A$$ handed to him for burning out the motors from leaving them pinned to the firewall for too long. He had to RTB with a IFE cause the motors were shot. IDK if they have a WEP built into them or not but from what RL stuff I know you cant leave them in MIL for too long, hence all those pretty green, yellow, and red marks on your engine gauges.

Go Ugly Early!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, the throttles can be linked to one another using a lever that links the left throttle to the right throttle. Is this how it is on the real A-10C as well? Or is this linking lever merely for convenience only?

unlinked, there is no need for the link lever, could be dangerous even in case of emergency.

Nerd setup:

Asrock P67 pro 3| 8GB DDR3 | Intel i5 2500K @ 4,3 ghz | Asus GTX 780 oc 3gb| 2x OCZ VERTEX 4 128gb SSD 1x 150 gb hdd 1x 320 gb hdd | track ir 5 & track clip pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Thrustmaster MFD pack | ASUS 22 inch | ACER 19 inch (mfd's) | Saitek flight pedals (tip: do NOT buy ati cards for DCS A-10C)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]