Vietnam War - POLL - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: With the aircrafts we have, should devs focus on creating a Vietnam environment ?
Yes, it would create a new dimension to the DCS World simulator 817 86.00%
No, I prefer 3rds to still work on aircrafts, and to fly in the same old Caucasus 133 14.00%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Cibit
Veteran

Cant find any references to the Mirage III in any of my books about aircraft of vietnam war. They where first supplied to French units in 1961. The French had completely withdrawn from Indochina by 1954. I figure that is the reason for no references.
Below is a quote from http://www.defenceaviation.com/2010/...n-history.html

3 - F-4 Phantom II vs Mig-17 in the Vietnam War(1965-73)
This historical aerial combat between American and North Vietnamese aircrafts was witnessed in the Vietnam war.This dogfight included the strengths and weaknesses of the two most iconic combat aircrafts in the Cold War.These aerial dogfights were mostly fought over the jungles of North Vietnam.
The F-4 Phantom II obtained outstanding results in the war and although it had its disadvantages in size,weight and maneuverability when compared with the MIG-17,the F-4 comprehensively defeated the MIG-17 “Fresco” in a series of battles in 1972.
Tactics such as “lag pursuit”(aggressively manoeuvrings the F-4 outside the MIG’S turning circle and using its superior speed to achieve a firing range) gave pilots a real advantage over their opponents.

Personally I voted for map but would love carrier ops for A4 Skyhawk, OH-6A Cayuse An F111A and a C47

Last edited by Cibit; 11-20-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Cibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #22
Hueyman

I agree with all of you dudes, honestly but do you realize in each of your post you ask for more than a dozen of new aircrafts, while each module take several years to be done ?...

If we want all Vietnam aircrafts ( and everyone doesn't want that obviously ... ) we can expect them to be hear in 15-20 years if DCS still exist, while if we got a map in the next year, we'll at least be able to play with the Huey, Mi-8 and Mig 21, which is great and as you stated we have F4 and F5 as AI... nowadays Mustang Pilots are dog fighting against the AI 190 in order this one become really a " true " DCS model, if you see what I mean

We aren't 10 billions, the market is kinda small after all ... so I think we really should make compromise between " wait for all Vietnam planes to come and do nothing until " or, " having only a couple of Vietnam era planes but getting a nice battlefield to fly other and do some serious historical campaign " ...

With what we have now ( Huey ) and a good Vietnam Map, it would already be possible to make some insanely fun pilot campaign, from beginning of the conflict until the end :

For example, you start as a rookie pilot at Fort Rucker ( replaced by Nevada Map ... ) where you learn helicopter flight basics, combat maneuvers, tactical flight etc, at the beginning of the Huey legend ( starting with the HU-1A, see below, of course UH-1H in the game... we won't make a dedicated HU-1A just for that ) then being sent to south east Asia in wet jungles with the UH-1H doing the type of mission everyone know ( dust off, medevacs, infantry support etc ), until the fall of Saigon in April 1975, where we could perform evacuation of people from Saigon to the ships, etc etc ...

I know it would be much better with appropriate Phantoms, Thunderchiefs, Skyraiders, Cayuses, Chinooks and such ... but is it better to wait years and years to hope for it or to have a map quickly, within a year, then do our best to have fun ? even the P-51 could be fitted in this War, as it served in Korea... Think about it twice before voting NO and preferring to always have the same planes over the same Georgia

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)/EC120B/AS355N/Bell 206/AS350B2
Hueyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
Flying Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueyman View Post
but is it better to wait years and years to hope for it or to have a map quickly, within a year, then do our best to have fun ? even the P-51 could be fitted in this War, as it served in Korea... Think about it twice before voting NO and preferring to always have the same planes over the same Georgia
Remind me, how long have we been waiting for Nevada?

Last edited by Flying Penguin; 11-20-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Flying Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #24
Hueyman

To be honest, I do not know what they are doing for so long with that Map ...
I really hope it will be worth the wait but I start not to expect to much, as even nowadays screens tells " early state " ...

Anyway, a motivated teams could do marvels on a Vietnam map, even if the 1.0 is not the definitive release.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #25
Gaanalma

+1 for Vietnam MAP!!!!

Belsimtek I Love You!

www.36stormovirtuale.net
Gaanalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #26
The_Pharoah

yeah I know its a long shot but hey, if you don't ask, you don't get!!

What do we have?
- Huey
- Mig 21 underconstruction
- A7II under construction (halted I think)
- F100D under construction

What do we want?
- Vietnam map (minimum)
- the above under construction a/c to be completed
- atleast 1 additional NVAF a/c eg. Mig 19
- atleast 1 additional USAF a/c eg. F105 for long range bombing. The F100Ds were I think initially used for long range missions to Hanoi (Route I) but brought back to fly CAS missions in SVN and the burden taken up by F105s as FBs and F4s as CAP although I could be wrong.
- atleast 1 FAC a/c ie. OV1 or OV10 (OV1 is more basic). I know lots of players who love providing FAC duties.

So thats what...1 large map, 3 a/c (1 minimal you'd think ie. OV1). Remember this is 1960s a/c which didn't have TGPs, smart weapons and all that sort of stuff so HOPEFULLY it would require less dev time.

Anyway, there's a demand for it. Just want the devs to know.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #27
RetroBurn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pharoah View Post

What do we have?
- Huey

What do we want?
- Vietnam map (minimum)
- atleast 1 additional USAF a/c eg. F105 for long range bombing. The F100Ds were I think initially used for long range missions to Hanoi (Route I) but brought back to fly CAS missions in SVN and the burden taken up by F105s as FBs and F4s as CAP although I could be wrong.
- atleast 1 FAC a/c ie. OV1 or OV10 (OV1 is more basic). I know lots of players who love providing FAC duties.

So thats what...1 large map, 3 a/c (1 minimal you'd think ie. OV1). Remember this is 1960s a/c which didn't have TGPs, smart weapons and all that sort of stuff so HOPEFULLY it would require less dev time.

+1 have to give it a thumbs up here!

RetroBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #28
Vampyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by trietnguyen View Post
added L-19 BIRD DOG and Cessna A-37 Dragonfly
Oh, darn, how could I have forgotten the A-37B. I think there were a few more that I forgot as well like the An-2, C-141A and C-5A. To be honest, I really want all of the aircraft flyable and multiplayer to work with hundreds of players able to log in and fly simultaneously. I would really just fly a few of the types like the F-105D/F/G, OV-10A, CH-53B/C, C-130A/B/E, F-4B/C/D/E/J, F-111A, and A-6A/B. I like flying against other human pilots due to the fact that you never know what another player is really going to do.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #29
Hueyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pharoah View Post

What do we have?
- Huey

What do we want?
- Vietnam map (minimum)

+1, excellent ! Wish that happen ASAP

Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Lucas_From_Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
Well, you can't have Thud Ridge without the Thud. The F-105D/F/G is a must have for any map covering North Vietnam. Of course you would have to have the F-4B/C/D/E/J, F-8E/H/J, F-104C, F-102A, EB-66E, A-1E/H/J, A-4E/F, A-7B/C/E, A-6A/B, F-111A, KA-3B, EKA-3B, RA-5C, RF-4C, B-52D/F/G, CH-53B/C/D, MiG-21PF, MiG-17F, and MiG-19P. For the war in the south we would need (in addition to a few of the types previously listed) the O-1E, O-2A, OV-10A, F-100C/D/F, UH-1B/C/D, CH-54A/B, CH-47A, OH-6A, AC-130A, AC-47A, C-130A/B/E, C-7A/B, C-123B/K, NC-123K, AC-119G/K, AH-1G and AP-2H. The map would also have to include more than Just North and south Vietnam but also Cambodia, Laos, Thailand a considerable part of the Gulf of Tonkin and South China Sea as well.
To be honest I meant a modern recreation of it, more to explore the map's possibilities as a stand in. In other words, recreate the missions with the closest modern equivalent of the aircraft. Biggest shortcoming is that there's no flyable fast fighter-bomber.

For a historical 'nam, I think for starters a map and one flyable aircraft does the cut - after all, we started with only the Flanker and look where we are now

One of the most important features for immersion is a good selection of AI aircraft. If we have that then slowly add more that'd be wonderful.

I think we'll have something made as soon as EDGE and the map SDKs are out, this is something a lot of people have been dreaming of.
Lucas_From_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote