Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground - Page 26 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #251
Surrexen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrah View Post
Hi Surrexen

I have been flying Snowfox a lot lately, in an attempt to clear out all opposing ground forces (thanks to that awesome save function!! )

Main trouble I'm having to deal with, are enemy cap patrols. There are in fact so many, that I'm having a very hard time picking out ground targets/SAM's. Which is totally cool by the way. It shouldn't be too easy.

One thing though. What exactly are the Khasab CAP Vipers and F-18 and 14 fleet defenders supposed to do? Are they only defending a very limited range around Khasab and the carrier?
I ask this because I haven't seen them get into action so far. Even when enemy aircraft came as close to somewhere in between Qeshm and Khasab (I was kinda hoping they would come and protect me while I was making my "mach1-winchester-tail-between-my-legs" escape back to Khasab ), but they just kept doing their orbit.
Yeah those groups are on carrier/base defence and are on a fairly tight leash for obvious reasons. They definitely do attack things that get within their set ranges. The F-16's often trigger 'border disputes' and as a general rule the fleet defence planes do a pretty good job of keeping the area around the carrier relatively clear.

I had made a small change in the scripts to do with red/blue air in the last update that I actually think is making all the AI planes slightly less aggressive which I have undone and that fix will be out once I've got this JF-17 in the hangar.
Surrexen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:35 AM   #252
Surrexen

v118 is up

Changelog v118:

- JF-17 added
- UH-1H added
- Radio call-in's for MQ-9 Predator aerial drones that can act as JTAC's for the called sector, be advised the drones will have to fly from near Khasab to the target sector to give some semblance of realism. The drones are invisible/immortal to make up for the travel time.
- Some minor script adjustments
Old 12-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #253
sirrah

Sorry if asked before, bit could you explain how to load version 118 while also keeping progress made in version 117?
System specs: Core i7-8700k - GTX 1080ti - Z370 - 16gb DDR4 - Oculus Rift cv1 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) - Pointctrl <-- must have for VR users!! - Fully adjustable DIY playseat
sirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #254
Surrexen

Quote:
Sorry if asked before, bit could you explain how to load version 118 while also keeping progress made in version 117?
So long as you leave the generated lua files alone, just launch it as normal and it will continue on.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #255
sirrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrexen View Post
So long as you leave the generated lua files alone, just launch it as normal and it will continue on.
You're right, it did

So, I tried version 118.

Some feedback:
Great to have the Huey available, but the distance from Khasab to the area(s) of operations is just way to far to enjoy. The fact that 90% of the flight is oversea, doesn't help with that either. Frustration gets to a maximum when being shot down just when you arrive near enemy ground units

Just an idea (without having any knowledge of scripting): It would be awesome if we were able to take off with our Huey somewhere on Qeshm. Would it maybe be possible to make an FOB/FARP base spawn on Qeshm Island as soon as enemy SAM sites there are killed. That would however mean, that the Huey only comes available after clearing all SAMs.

I have no idea though, if the above suggestion would be even possible with scripting...

Anyways; I think by now this mission is among my top 3 of missions with best replay value!!
System specs: Core i7-8700k - GTX 1080ti - Z370 - 16gb DDR4 - Oculus Rift cv1 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) - Pointctrl <-- must have for VR users!! - Fully adjustable DIY playseat
Old 12-08-2019, 03:02 AM   #256
Surrexen

Quote:
You're right, it did

So, I tried version 118.

Some feedback:
Great to have the Huey available, but the distance from Khasab to the area(s) of operations is just way to far to enjoy. The fact that 90% of the flight is oversea, doesn't help with that either. Frustration gets to a maximum when being shot down just when you arrive near enemy ground units

Just an idea (without having any knowledge of scripting): It would be awesome if we were able to take off with our Huey somewhere on Qeshm. Would it maybe be possible to make an FOB/FARP base spawn on Qeshm Island as soon as enemy SAM sites there are killed. That would however mean, that the Huey only comes available after clearing all SAMs.

I have no idea though, if the above suggestion would be even possible with scripting...

Anyways; I think by now this mission is among my top 3 of missions with best replay value!!

Helo missions in Snowfox and Clear Field are tough because the air dispatcher will vector bad guys to you once you are in Iranian air space. If you time your attack and call CAP support at the appropriate time it can be done though. I have already said, sticking FARPs everywhere in these missions would not be very realistic.

I have spent several weeks smashing my head on the keyboard trying to figure out how to make helo's work well in these missions and came very close to having some extremely cool things to add in, but unfortunately once I plugged all the code into dynamic situations the thing fell over due to pathfinding issues (it worked perfect in single scenarios). I have had to put the whole helo thing back on the drawing board until I can come up with a workaround for the issues I have run into.

Meanwhile, the next version will have a corrected position for the Bandar Abbas SA-5 (SA-10) site as I found exactly where the launcher locations were on the map (I was only about 300m out so it's not a massive change). Here is hoping we actually get the real SA-5 to come out soon to capitilize on this discovery!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #257
sirrah

I totally understand why you don't want to use those awefully outdated (and green) FARP objects in your mission.

What about using one or two Perry Class ships, as spawn points for the Huey?

(Again no idea about any complications. Merely trying to help )