Cannot Talk to ATC. Why????

ouseler

I am in the Basic Flight Training Campaign and just finished Mission #3 (Flying the Pattern). However, throughout this campaign, I have been unable to make contact with ATC Batumi, wingman, or anybody.

The briefing gives Frequencies of:

40.4 MHz (Don't know what this one goes to)

131.00 MHz (I am setting the front VHF radio - to the dash- to this freq)

260.00 MHz (I am setting the UHF to this freq)

4.250 MHz (I am setting the back VHF radio to this freq)

Mission #3 also gave Tac. Training Freq of 124.00MhZ and Guard Channel of <don't remember>.

I tried the 124.00 freq, but still no response. So I go ahead and fly the mission anyway. At some point, it will be it essential to talk to ATC and anyone else. I know that I am doing something wrong. Could someone enlighten me?

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

So yea, normally the AM radio is the one to use for ATC...not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you using the correct mic switch?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 October 2009

CGNR-1705 / USMC Cobra

Semper Memoria, Semper Vigilens

You're not going to insult my intelligence. I've been flying A-10C for a week; so I know next to nothing. Mic switches? I have been just using the keyboard to communicate ( [\] for the comm menu, [F5], [F1], so on........ Is this incorrect?

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

Do you have the option ticked for easy communications under the game play options ouseler? That should work then, not tried that easy option under DCS 2.5 beta.

If not selected in the options you will need to use 3 separate mic switches for the 3 radios.

This is screenshot below out of Chuck's DCS Guide for the A-10C, I recommend you download it if you haven't.

attachment.php?attachmentid=181559&stc=1&d=1521937662

A-10C_Guide_Radio.thumb.jpg.04d8d04ae4e923e58b54efe8edf8f996.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Other than that make sure you have set the mic rotary to the correct position (INT is selected in the image, the 12 o'clock position marks the selection):

7ASsl5f.png

The dial is in the rear section of the left panel. The manual explains this on page 153/671 (Intercom Control Panel).

The switch determines which radio is used if you click the forward mic-switch. That is labeled with VHF 1 Transmit in the picture of the previous post.

The INT setting is used to speak with the ground crew if canopy is closed or engines are running, cause it's then too loud for them to hear you without headphones.

The FM setting selects your VHF FM radio (VHF 2, the lower one).

The VHF setting selects your VHF AM radio (VHF 1, the upper one).

The HF setting stands for High Frequency, it is not implemented in DCS.

Normally you would select VHF if you don't want to speak to the ground crew, else INT.

You don't need the other two modes. HF because it is not implemented and FM because you can always access this radio by hitting mic-switch aft.

Edited by Zabuza
  • Thanks 1

Probably obvious but sometimes people don't know:

The airbase of the ATC you want to talk with must be on your side. You can't contact an ATC of the red side if you are on blue. You can check that by clicking the airbase on the F10 map. You can change the setting in the mission editor.

The mic keyboard commands are L Shift + num "+" or numbad "-" and L Alt + numpad -

When the radio menu opens, read what it says on the top. It should say VHF FM, AM or UHF

The 40 Mhz freq goes in the FM VHF

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days