SAM list and their specifications

roob

If anyone has the time and willpower to do it, they could just edit the values and adapt it to DCS.

According to Wikipedia (if that is anything to go by) the AIM-120B has a range of 75km while the R-77 has a range of 80km, and the AIM-120C has a range of 105km while the R-77-1 has a range of 110km. In DCS though, the R-77 sucks ass.

And whether the Su-27 can carry the R-77 or not, I don't know. There has been a lot of arguing on this forum about it. Microprose chose to implement it, ED chose not to.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

I might do so instead of playing guitar, got some time today.

Also, you have to consider versions of missiles i.e. AIM-120C-5 has a wikipedia range of 105km, but the -8 is said to have 160km and the -7 with it's 145km (that entered about at the same time as the 77-1, so the later never had an upper hand), but in any case, these are R-max figures and are 200% meaningless in combat :).

None of this stuff from wiki matters, nor the BMS threat guide (which BTW was written at a time when the 'then' wikis of the time were proclaiming the R-77 to be faster, better, longer reaching etc).

The R-77 simply doesn't contain enough fuel mass to make it really competitive vs a 120A/B, let along a C5 or later. It also lags in electronics, being essentially a 120A equivalent.

R-77-1 might be quite a bit more competitive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Here you go. I changed the aircraft description, added su-33 and slightly modified ranges to fit what we see in DCS a bit more. I did not touch SAMs, as I don't know them too well, in DCS go defensive when they shoot first and you'll be fine. Also added Russian names for missiles.

Threath list (1).pdf

That's great! I don't think there is any point in updating missile data due to the rumored updated missile model in 2.5 but once that is out, maybe one should do a DCS remake of that document with accurate data and make the descriptions more general instead of describing everything from a F-16 pilots point of view. And as you pointed out, some things are missing like the SA-11, Su-33, etc.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

• 1 year later...