DCS World Install Folder Size

Wayc00lio

Just a quick one about the size of the

I've got a 250 GB SSD as my main drive so as you can imagine, space is a premium.

I have DCSW 1.5.6 installed as well as DCSW 2 open alpha. DCSW 2 is ~60GB of hard drive space whereas 1.5.6 is around 45GB. I have most of the modules bar a couple of trainers and the Viggen.

Are these folder sizes correct? Seems a lot of space! Have I got legacy update files I can get rid of to shrink the size of the folder?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.

My DCS 2.0 weights 58 GB, while 1.5.6 is 32 GB, but I dont have all the modules installed, so I'd say that your sizes are correct.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

These sizes sound legit, especially IF You have lots of aircraft skins and some terrain texture mods installed for 1.5.x.

If not, well, You can always fire up dcs_updater.exe with -cleanup parameter, that should remove all the junk left after failed updating and modding. Make sure to disable Your "intended" mods first if You don't want to loose some stuff You want to keep.

I recall seeing a thread somewhere here, in which SkateZilla explained how to create a "unified" custom skin directory, which could be use by numerous DCS installs (instead of separate folder for each one), but I can't find it now.

Still, even if You do all of it, You probably won't save much space anyway. DCS is that disk-hungry indeed.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

... I recall seeing a thread somewhere here, in which SkateZilla explained how to create a "unified" custom skin directory, which could be use by numerous DCS installs (instead of separate folder for each one), but I can't find it now.

This was the thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174462

... very useful :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 years later...

Excuse my ignorance please... :| ... but my current DCS folder is over 88GB (on a 120GB SSD that also has IL2 on it.... :( - so only 16GB free space - & I think the SSD needs about 30% free space to run properly).

I have DCS Open Beta with Normandy + Assets, Caucausus - & I only really fly the P51 & the Spit LF IX.

I'm getting VERY long load times (& VERY (silly) long DCS CLOSE times after I click to exit), and occasional stuttering & mini-freezes during flight.

What can I do (including safe deletion of non-required stuff...?) safely to reduce the size of the DCS folder & improve the situation?

(Yes, I know that a larger SSD will do that, but at a cost that I don't need right now...)

Anything I can safely dispose of...?