What are the sounds like in the jets?

Knock-Knock

I've always wondered, what its like up there, in the jets. What do you hear, and what dont you hear. What is the sound balance like (engine, wind noise, vibrations etc). Is one part completely overwhelming, and does it all equalize it self again at certain speeds. Can you even hear other jets, say in a tight formation, and can you even feel them?

All this of course compared to the game. What is it like up there, or in there?

Relying on video recordings, well.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

At a guess you probably wont hear much

Yea, that would be my guess too. Well, in relation to the amount of fuel you are throwing in there. Take a car for example, sports car of a type. When just cruising about, its not saying much, but put the foot down, and all hell breaks loose. Just like in airliners. During take off, and pretty much max power, it gets quite noisy in there, and once in cruise, you pretty much only hear the air condition.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Probably depends on the type. I've heard that on some, you mostly hear the environmental control system. I guess it is different on others, but either way, you're wearing headphones under a helmet, so hopefully that should keep a lot of the noise out.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I guess that the most important thing you must hear up there are the radios/systems so with the helmet and the headphones I bet its quite silent. (however, very low freq tones can be FELT through you boy and there must be a hell of a lot of them according with the kind of stuff involved in a fighter aircraft roaring)

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Yes mostly wind noise, and the aircon through the punkah louvre ducts. With my limited jet time experience, I don't particularly notice anything out of the ordinary with the DCS jet aircraft I have in flight regarding sounds - nothing stands out as 'really wrong' (I have the helmet sound option enabled).

By the time you put the helmet on and cinch the ear cups down over your ears it is pretty quiet.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, chaps :thumbup:

I only have .9 hrs of flight time in an F-15D, so my experiences are limited.

You can hear the environmental systems a bit, kind of like driving down the highway with you window down, but with earplugs in and a helmet, its mostly muted.

I did not hear the other F-15 when in formation, but we were never in burner while in formation.

As many have said, comm's is the most prevalent sound I heard. You do hear the engines when in burner, but it isn't overly loud inside the cockpit because I had foam earplugs in under my helmet. Most F-15 pilots had custom molded earphones, since they fly regularly. We had hot mic on the whole flight, so you can hear a lot of breathing when pulling G's. If you removed your mask, than you were supposed to switch to cold mic, the pilot didn't want to hear you puking and the ECS system is loud when hot mic'd anyway.

dOoQMl.png

YrGT3l.jpg

UJNt1l.jpg

Alienware 17 R3: Intel i7 6820HK @ 4 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980M, 1TB Samsung NVMe 951 SSD, AW Graphics Amplifier w/ GTX 1080, TM HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Monstertech, MFG Crosswind, Jetseat KW-908

Fantastic, thank you very much :thumbup:

.. and damn you lucky bugger :)

What about when maneuvering high G's, were you able to hear the air frame complain, or things rattle about etc?

Couldn't hear the airframe complain. The wind noise changed, like a turbulent sound. Most of the sounds you hear was the hick sounds from the breathing technique. You can feel the wings shuddering and see the flexing. It was a humid day so there's naturally less "air". Coupled with being heavy we could only managed 8.5g's. My aircraft had to fly cross country, so we had 2 externals. The other jet I went up with had a short flight from Florida so they didn't need externals so we were a bit heavier than they were. I'm sure they hit 9 g's no problem.

I didn't see how much fuel we took of with, but we were landing on a wet runway so my pilot actually had to jettison fuel.

cmADrl.jpg

Edited by ZEEOH6

Alienware 17 R3: Intel i7 6820HK @ 4 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980M, 1TB Samsung NVMe 951 SSD, AW Graphics Amplifier w/ GTX 1080, TM HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Monstertech, MFG Crosswind, Jetseat KW-908

Those citizens do love the smell of jet fuel in the morning :)

Once again, thank you ZEEOH6. I now have a much better idea of the sound volumes up there.

I never heard us go into burner on the F-16. Like ZEEOH6 you can hear radios and other stuff like that. I did hear the engine change pitch when we were landing.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED