PSU POWER SWITCH

Hi all,

After shutting down Windows I always flick the switch off on the power supply, so that the computer is completely 'off'.

In the last week or so, every time I turn the computer on by the back switch there is a loud 'pop' sound that seems to come from the POWER SWITCH I then turn on the computer by the case power button and all seems well.

Everything seems to be working normally, I was just wondering what might be causing this popping sound? Should I be concerned? Could it be a sign that the power supply could be failing?

AS FOR NOW I HAVE IT ALL THE TIME TO THE ON POSITION AND CLOSE BY THE MAINS {UPS-SERGE PROTECTOR)NO POP SOUND IT ONLY HAPPENS WHENE I USE THE SWITCH OF THE PSU ITSELF

Edited by skouras

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I don't think you need to flip the PSU. There's probably a relay or something in there that switches.

But honestly just leave the PSU switch on and turn your computer with the power button on the case.

Cheers

so its nothing?

i always turn the pc on with the case power button

the reason that i switch the power switch back from the psu it was just for safety

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

That dose not sound good, it might be shorting, do you notice any smell of smoke or burning electronics? What type of PSU do you have and if its still under warranty I would definitely have it replaced or pick up a new one. The PSU in many peoples systems always seem to be neglected, they get thousands of dollars worth of parts but buy a cheap PSU. As for turning off at the back, I don't think your doing any harm but I almost never do unless I need to restore my bios and I have never had a problem nor do I know anyone that has.

Edited by Goldsmack

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

PSU has many safety approvals, like the CSA. Please don't turn off the PSU switch.

What is your PSU? How old he is?

=EDIT=

This is a "pop".

This is a click (relay).

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

hey guys no the delay makes a click noise my psu is this

http://www.e-shop.gr/psu-seasonic-m12ii-850-bronze-850w-p-PER.640375

also i have the back switch to on now and the psu makes not sound at all is perfectly normal i cut the voltage via ups and give voltage via ups to the psu and its normal not a sound

as i said it only occurs when i push the back power switch of the psu to the on position if i have hours to use my machine

if i close it to the off and on nothing occurs

also no smell or visible sparks a technisian test the psu yesterday and said that he could not find anything

either way im planning to buy a new one next month and send this to the retailer

Edited by skouras

Some PSU's make a nasty pop from the relais, some more dominant than others.

Thing is, yours just STARTED to make that sound and didnt have it ever since !!!

Sending it back is the safest approach if you are within warranty.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If it works fine when you do not switch it off it sounds normal to me, I wouldn't worry too much..

ok guys works fine with the switch on totally silend

it has to do with the capacitors discharge and probably the switch give voltage to fast because i close the voltage yesterday by the mains wait few minutes then give voltage again open close the power switch again no sound perfectly normal

I have the same loud "pop" happening when I switch on the psu of my hi fi speaker setup. It has been working perfectly fine for over 10 years now so there's nothing to worry about :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok guys thank you all for your suggestions

i will update this thread over the time

does a 750watt psu is enough for my system?

i7 4770k

16 giga ram

gtx 1070

asus rog phobeus soundcard

2 hdds

the one i have is 850watt thats why im asking

Edited by skouras

It's plenty !!!

Look at my sig and hardware, the Corsair Monitoring Software for my AXi-1200 tells me I am using about 350W while gaming and the MOST I ever managed to pump through the machine was 612 Watt with insane settings for stability test.

When I "just" prime it its still below 500W by a good portion with 5G. I need to also stress the GPU with Furemark to get above 500W.

Yours is plenty...like 50% load when in full game mode :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It's plenty !!!

Look at my sig and hardware, the Corsair Monitoring Software for my AXi-1200 tells me I am using about 350W while gaming and the MOST I ever managed to pump through the machine was 612 Watt with insane settings for stability test.

When I "just" prime it its still below 500W by a good portion with 5G. I need to also stress the GPU with Furemark to get above 500W.

Yours is plenty...like 50% load when in full game mode :)

thanks man thank you all you were really hefpul

-Salute-

Just worry if you get a real loud pop when you turn it on....that is a capacitor exploding lol. Had that happen before! :music_whistling:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just worry if you get a real loud pop when you turn it on....that is a capacitor exploding lol. Had that happen before! :music_whistling:

yes i know it happens to me also with the same model 1 year ago

i thought someone throw a grenage in my house it was sp scary

anyway seasonic replace the unit immediately:D