SSD - defrag or not?

In the Normandy discussion thread I posted about preparing my SSD for Normandy.

I cleaned thing up a bit and decided to check the fragmentation.

It was at 34%

I defraged the drive.

Afterwards I ran release.

DCS loaded much faster.

Moving from section to section also showed marked improvement.

Before this defrag, I would get a occasional pause or stutter in sim, especially in heavy rendered areas.

I am running a I5 6600K at 4.5gh with 16 gb corsair high speed ram and a GTX 1080Ti.

After defrag, I have not noticed ANY stutter or pauses!

My FPS shows a slight improvement as well. I did not make any measurements to be able to show numbers but there is a big difference!

So I look at the thread and cichlidfan posted that you are not to do this.

It shortens the life of the drive.

I looked into this and he is correct!

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/M2M/html/support/faqs_03.html

So.... Thank you Sir for pointing this out!

A little late for me!:doh:

However, The increase in loading times and better performance may be a good trade-off and worth the loss of life span of the drive.

I think the risk of a complete fail would increase as the drive gets older.

They have a finite life.

YMMV

Do at your own risk!

Because of this, I will do all mod testing in a Beta branch located on a regular HD.

I will also buy a back up SSD to have in case of a drive crash. I can be back up and running in very short order using Skate's utility.

Hope this info helps someone.

Hawkeye

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Didn't even know that there was a tool that allowed for that... Only heard that a filesystem trim should be run on SSDs. Windows calls it "Optimizing".

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I do not get an option to defrag my SSD's in Windows, only "Optimize" which trims it. My hard disks however do give option to defrag.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

SSD use space depending on wear. so they fragment on purpose to maximise the life of the disk.

its an expensive placebo effect. de fragmenting them..

its just extra wear for them to deal with.

why windows 10 does not let you..

disks with moving parts need files close together. so they can read without moving.

why you should defrag spinners.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

its an expensive placebo effect. de fragmenting them..
I do now know the risks and will not do this again but,

The loading of mods is now lightning fast.

I have had more time to test the performance and there is no question in my mind it is better.

The stutter/pause is gone!

I do have some mods that no longer work in Normandy though.:mad:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I am still curious about what process was used to defrag an SSD.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

In win 7 my computer, right click the drive, select properties then tools.

And, there IS stutter and pauses in Normandy.

I have not played with the settings yet.

Release is ok so far, (I have not flown it much!)

Edited by Hawkeye60