Deafened by external engine noise

CptTangerine

Hi

I was wondering if there is any way to set the default distance you spawn from an aircraft when you die or when transitioning from the aircraft selection menu to the cockpit of the plane you have selected.

I am currently using the excellent RedKite tutorial mission which is a veritable airborne activity-blanket for the Harrier. Unfortunately when selecting the scenario to play, as soon as you hit Fly there's a 2 - 3-second burst where your head is basically shoved into the air-intake of an SU-25. It's pretty deafening. I always keep my headset away from my ears during this transition, but I was wondering if there was a way of setting it so that the camera is much, much further away from the SU-25 so that I am just not deafened at all.

I have tweaked the tutorial a lot to suit my own requirements and I would really love to tweak this as well.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

If hear like in helmet is on it reduces all exterior sounds. When you pop into external view, sans helmet obviously, it's much louder. Either keep your volume a bit lower, or uncheck the helmet thingy then you'll have more ''even'' volumes across the game.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

If hear like in helmet is on it reduces all exterior sounds. When you pop into external view, sans helmet obviously, it's much louder. Either keep your volume a bit lower, or uncheck the helmet thingy then you'll have more ''even'' volumes across the game.

Or you can just join this wishlist thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202106

I don't want to choose between realistic in cockpit sounds ( hear like in helmet ON ) and comfortable external views volume.

Do you mean when you F2 between other aircraft, just turn down 'World" sound level. :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

If I turn down World sound volume, will that not reduce the noise of external explosions from the cockpit and other sounds?

All I really want is to change the default camera distance from aircraft (like when you press F2). It's a bit of an insult to injury, getting killed in-game and then having your eardrums destroyed. Likewise, where the game uses an external view as a sort of cut-scene, it's deafening. I'm almost worried about the damage to my headphones.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

If I turn down World sound volume, will that not reduce the noise of external explosions from the cockpit and other sounds?

Yes it will.

Sound.lua defines how much amplitude (and at which frequency) you'll cut out with "hear like in helmet" setting for various aircrafts.

You can play with that.

I.E. Original A-10C:

['A-10C']     = { gain = 0.12, lowpass =1000 },

Modified A-10C:

['A-10C']     = { gain = 4, lowpass = 2000 },

Give it a try.

The problem with that is that it will only work in the cockpit (unless I have this all wrong). It's when the camera jumps to outside views that I have the deafening issue.

Normally, it's not that much of an issue, it's just that I use RedKite's mission a lot, like *a lot* and it's an annoyance. I was hoping that there would be a quick setting to define the distance. Alternatively, is there a way of setting up the mission so that the order of objects is rearranged so that instead of shoving me face-first into a SU-25 it starts off with a GAZ truck, or something else quiet?

I wanted to have default camera distance enlarged too for another reason, as well as the view, weapons view is also too close and at inoptimal angle.

We'll have to figure this stuff out! There is some kind of a default set somewhere in the scripts, that should be modifiable.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

The problem with that is that it will only work in the cockpit (unless I have this all wrong). It's when the camera jumps to outside views that I have the deafening issue.

Yes and no. The mod I suggested will modify the volume in cockpit with "hearing like helmet" on, BUT raising that volume ( and of course bringing down dcs world master volume down to avoid distortion ) will balance the in cockpit loudness with the external view loudness.

This was annoying me too, and I found this thread. I came up with a solution using an AutoHotkey script. It simply lowers system master volume to 5% when hitting some of the external view F keys, then back to 100% when hitting F1. Here's the script:

isSoundLow := false

#IfWinActive ahk_class DCS
F2::
F3::
F4::
F5::
F6::
F8::
F11::
   if (!isSoundLow) {
       SoundSet, 5
isSoundLow := true
   }
   ChangeView(A_ThisHotkey)
Return

#IfWinActive ahk_class DCS
F1::
   SoundSet, 100
   ChangeView("F1")
   isSoundLow := false
Return

ChangeView(Key) {
   Send, {%Key% down}
   Sleep, 20
   Send, {%Key% up}
}

If you're not familiar with AutoHotkey, you just have to install it, put that script in a .ahk file, and run it.

edit: hmm just realized, this doesn't solve the problem of going to external view when you get killed for example. Oh well.

Edited by JoeyJoJoJunior
removed some unnecessary binds

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I do know about AutoHotkey (used it to fix my broken mouse doing 3 middle click actions instead of one) and that's very interesting indeed.

But the default distance in meters the F2 view defaults to is what we should be focusing on for a longerm solution, I think it's always too close and it may be relative to aircraft size, not sure, I'll go take another look more closely.

Also we need to distinguish between FOV and Camera Distance, and sometimes these terms are mixed up in DCS it self, where in one case Zoom would be FOV and in other case Zoom would mean Camera Distance.

Currently it's like what ... 5 meters?, it only shows FOV in the stats not distance away from focused object.

It could be like 20 IMO, I'll do a screenshot.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria