BitDefender and DCS_updater.exe

c0ff

• ED Team

Looks like BitDefender prevents DCS_updater.exe either from running or from operating correctly.

There's nothing we can do here. DCS updater does have a valid digital signature and operates in a way any updater will, it does not use any tricks.

Please, file complaints to BitDefender so they will either fix their program or whitelist the DCS.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Looks like BitDefender prevents DCS_updater.exe either from running or from operating correctly.

There's nothing we can do here. DCS updater does have a valid digital signature and operates in a way any updater will, it does not use any tricks.

Please, file complaints to BitDefender so they will either fix their program or whitelist the DCS.

We will all certainly take this up with BitDefender.. In the meantime could you please post a download of the updater and it's required files so that those of us with this issue can grab it and see if we can disable bitdefender long enough to run the file and update the system so we can at least use the sim?

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

We will all certainly take this up with BitDefender.. In the meantime could you please post a download of the updater and it's required files so that those of us with this issue can grab it and see if we can disable bitdefender long enough to run the file and update the system so we can at least use the sim?

Google it

it is easily avainable on some sites..i my self got files from google...

Edited by johnsonscott

• ED Team

It's not hard, but had your exe vanished?

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

It's not hard, but had your exe vanished?

Sorry I took so long to get back with you I left for the day.. Anyway, my executable isn't gone it appears to have been corrupted ... And strangely enough it corrupted the updaters and the executables to BOTH installs... The regular install and the beta install I had installed on a separate drive.. Weird..

:cry:

RAMBO

Aren't in the worst case the corresponding files relocated to a 'quarantine' folder with any type of modern scanner? Shouldn't you be able to put back those files in said scanner software and create an exclusion rule for those files?

No Bitdefender didn't quarantine anything (And actually there is nothing to lead anyone to think that Bitdefender did anything at all except that Bitdefender appears to be the only thing consistent with many of the folks that are having issues..)

Nothing in BD shows or logs or mentions any errors or flags or anything else...

RAMBO

Sorry I took so long to get back with you I left for the day.. Anyway, my executable isn't gone it appears to have been corrupted ... And strangely enough it corrupted the updaters and the executables to BOTH installs... The regular install and the beta install I had installed on a separate drive.. Weird..

:cry:

No Bitdefender didn't quarantine anything (And actually there is nothing to lead anyone to think that Bitdefender did anything at all except that Bitdefender appears to be the only thing consistent with many of the folks that are having issues..)

Nothing in BD shows or logs or mentions any errors or flags or anything else...

Just backing up what outlaw is saying, updater hangs and appears to cause update/repair programs to become corrupted. I too have BitDefender but it doesn't flag a virus or intrusion, or log that anything went wrong at all.

After rebooting, then restoring previous version of bin folder from backup, I ran updater and it worked fine; didn't need to quit BitDefender at all.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

After rebooting, then restoring previous version of bin folder from backup, I ran updater and it worked fine; didn't need to quit BitDefender at all.

Is this your personal backup, or does DCS have some backup of the bin file somewhere?

Where can I download DCS_Updater.exe 1.2.6? I googled it and didn't find it.

So is this this problem caused by Bitdefender?

To me it appears like Windows itself does not like this file.. I cannot update because Windows won't let the updater run..

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Before seeing this error did you try the updater and it started to run, then froze? It certainly seems like BitDefender is something we all have in common.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Yes, it started and first said it was updating the updater. That went on for about 1 hour before I tried to cancel it. I couldn't cancel it or do anything. My pc was froze. I had to power off. After I booted up again, I get these errors.

I do have BitDefender. It may have caused the original problem?? I don't know. But now I get those messages from Windows saying the file is the DCS_Updater.exe file is no good.

What indication do any of you have that BitDefender has caused this problem? I cannot complain to them since I did not see anything indicating they caused the problem.

Where did you get your bin file backup?

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

FIXED IT!

Go to your bin folder and right-click on the DCS_Updater.exe file. Select 'Restore Previous Versions', then Restore it. (Hopefully Windows made a working restore of it for you. Mine was from a month ago.)

Disable BitDefender AV and Firewall.

Create a shortcut to the DCS_Updater.exe with the update parameter like this:

"C:\xxxxxxxxxx\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update

or follow these instructions to update.

Double-Click on the shortcut, or do the update via the instructions.

That worked for me (I think). It's downloading now... 2225.5 MBytes and downloading..

=================

UPDATE:

After it downloaded, I got this error when it tried to replace the dcs_protect.dll. I tried to rename that file manually, but kept getting an error. I thought the file was locked by windows by another process, so I rebooted. When my system came back up that file was not there. Weird that the error said it could not create a file that exists already, but I think the file was gone already. Which is why I couldn't rename it. Anyhow, it was gone.

I checked that Bitdefender AV and Firewall was still off. Then I ran the Updater again. It said I was still on 1.2.6 and wanted to update to 1.2.7. Ok.. It just installed all of the files and said Success. My game now says it's on 1.2.7.

Edited by Snacko

Snacko, we don't know for sure that it's the fault of BitDefender but it appears to be a common link. I had to reboot too and did restore previous version but then I just ran the updater again (didn't disable BitDefender) and it ran perfectly. Go figure.

Could Bitdefender be doing some sort of auto sandboxing on updater?

I get a similar issue with Comodo sandboxing installers and updaters sometimes. Either causing errors or stopping the apps altogether.

Running the exe with sandboxing off and problems go away for me.

Might be the same in Bitdefender but might it not give warning on screen when something gets put in sandbox..

Yes, it started and first said it was updating the updater. That went on for about 1 hour before I tried to cancel it. I couldn't cancel it or do anything. My pc was froze. I had to power off. After I booted up again, I get these errors.

I do have BitDefender. It may have caused the original problem?? I don't know. But now I get those messages from Windows saying the file is the DCS_Updater.exe file is no good.

What indication do any of you have that BitDefender has caused this problem? I cannot complain to them since I did not see anything indicating they caused the problem.

Where did you get your bin file backup?

A friend of mine uses Bit Defender and has this exact issue when updating to 1.2.7. Uninstalled, tried a fresh install. Same issue. Uninstalled, ran Crap Cleaner, and the issue persisted. The Updater freezes.

Will try the steps you outlined in a later post.

Avast just warned me and blocked the .exe until I put it in exception list.

The update ran flawlessly then.

At start up, I had to do the same thing for the dll protect-files.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Well for me it got corrupted when it tried to update by running DCS itself. I restored the files from my own backup then ran the "Update DSC World" in the icon folder and it updated fine. A few days later I had to do a complete hard drive restore (unrelated) and since the DCS update was not in that image I had to update it again. Once again running DCS itself tried to update and corrupted the attempt. Again restoring the files and using the "Update DSC World" worked. Just my experience.

I had the BitDefender/updater problem the other day. I finally uninstalled BitDefender, got the updater to work, & reinstalled BitDefender. Tried playing today & the thing started all over. Has anyone found a solution yet? I can play 1.2.7 if I use the launcher.exe.

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K , 32 GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti , Win10 64, Rift CV1 & S VR

WOW! I was thinking about flying again, its been awhile,,, after reading some of these posts,, I dont need the aggravation! I have BitDefender as well,,, now after reading this,, Im not even thinking about it until resolved.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

NO DOUBT! The only problem is (Im no tech guru) what would I tell them to lead them to believe its a problem on their end? I just cant tell them it doesn't work right.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle