VR

Just looking at the population of people I personally fly with... it used to be 2 or 3 people had VR headsets... now it's we have 2 or 3 people who haven't yet gotten VR headsets but most of us are rocking it.

VR for simming is pretty awesome.

I fly with Aussies, lenovo explorer without controllers is likely least expensive headset brand new.. friend got a good deal on a used samsung odyssey he's waiting for. Another just pre-ordered a pimax but said it cost him a pretty penny in AUD. He's upgrading from a rift. Rift still a solid choice too.

He said that pimax has sold like 8000 units so far. Doesn't sound like death at all to me.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

iIm look at a new rig so I can go multiplayer fly in VR though oculus rift was steeping it up with what was it ?cv2 or something and then nothing new happened well as far as I know I tried to find someone to say it finally here 4k VR for DCS well thanks ive got something to look forward to headwarp & Der Hirte cheers.

VR is growing quite rapidly and is a wonderful thing.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR is growing quite rapidly and is a wonderful thing.

Only the best thing that ever happened regarding flightsims ! :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

it’s definitely awesome, but the question is if it’s sustainable.

barely 1% of the gaming market uses it.

is that enough?

No. That 1% only is that users have it installed, but not that do they use it.

Based to the various AAA titles in VR, it is not a economical success. And that could as well one reason why Brendan left Oculus as he saw different route to get VR going.

But the VR still have a very challenging gameplay mechanics, the meatsack behind the HMD. Its senses and its real environment and collision to reality are what is holding back. You can do only so many bow shooters and only so many "hit and smash" games until they are all seen and it is boring or sick.

The real VR realm is in the flight and driving simulators, where players comfortably already sits down, have the realistic controls in their hands and they don't need to jump, crouch, turn etc after work/school etc. So how many VR owner is flight/driving simulator users? Not so many...

If DCS World would be enough to support VR alone, it would be great. But this current fifth generation VR (CV1, Vive) is just not enough to be such that general gamers would adapt to it.

That is a one reason why I do agree with Facebook idea to try to find sales from the cheap 100-200€ standalone headsets for simple games. Get a good userbase for those, for simple games like "Mario Kart" and "Lucky's tale" that can then get more gamers for good VR titles like "Lone Echo" that are designed from the start well for a VR use.

But otherwise no.... VR doesn't have huge market to expand to in its current level.

Maybe one day even better when we can fly DCS level game with a 100€ HMD that has integrated sensors to detect hands movements around the body accurately, track the fingers position and motion and offer a 120-140 degree true FOV (instead closer to 60-70 degree as now).

But even then a VR games are such that would people want to have a physical controllers, a grip to grab, a button to squeeze etc. Just like virtual pilots wants to fly with a HOTAS, not with a joypad...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

is that enough?

Apparently it is , a lot more players in the market now than there was just a couple of years ago.

I would say it is growing nicely.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Apparently it is , a lot more players in the market now than there was just a couple of years ago.

I would say it is growing nicely.

Having been into the hobby of pc building and pc gaming ever since I was a kid, most hardware takes time to reach the hands of the majority. Look into the debates about 4:3 vs 16:9 when widescreens first hit the scene, where people were convincing devs not to support widescreens due to it being "unfair" to 4:3 users, when they could buy the very same monitors that eventually turned into a standard aspect ratio over the years. The vocal arguments against 16:9 seemed to stem more from people who didn't like the idea of a new hardware purchase, albeit an optional one. Which I get.. the latest and greatest PC hardware isn't for the budget minded. It took people saying "hey.. i bought this devs.. please support it" and vocalizing their enjoyment of the product to bring the world into widescreen gaming.

Steam users include a lot of budget gamers and probably sells the most during sales throughout the year when games are cheap. The right developer could come along and make a VR game at some point that plays all of it's strengths vs some of the lackluster titles out there right now. But it takes time for developers to catch up to hardware as they continue to milk the cow that's keeping them in business currently. Hence evolutions in usage of directx API have taken years to be adopted, but now there are more devs using DX12 and putting newer hardware to use.

Still a bit early to call it a failure imo, there's still ground to be broken and future hardware to make it more viable, and I'm seeing more and more flight simmers put it to use increasingly, as well as racing simmers, where there's at least a market for thrustmaster warthogs and wheel/pedal sets that are more expensive than some VR headsets. Valve, HTC, Samsung, lenovo, acer and Microsoft have other markets as well to let current gens linger for awhile, perhaps even drop in price as people open up to it. Oculus VR on the other hand, well they started this whole mess, but might have a harder time with it due to VR being their only focus. The price point, and ease of setup might be keeping them in the fight however.

Not necessarily directed at dburne although I for some reason quoted his post lol.

*Edit* - on discord, my aussie wingmates are busy passing blame for the latest addition to the VR Club, as another reflects on his purchase of a used Samsung Odyssey. Of which I accepted some of that blame, while also passing said blame right on along to the guys who got into it early. But it was harder for me not to talk about how awesome the experience was, where the initial VR owners only nudged once or twice. Which leaves me at thought - if you can afford it, try it, if ya don't like it return it. If you like it, spread the word and the chances of a VR future go up.

Would like to add to something I stated earlier in this post.

"The right developer could come along and make a VR game at some point that plays all of it's strengths vs some of the lackluster titles out there right now."

Of course I'm talking about other than ED and flight/racing sim devs.. who already seem to be committed to making good use of these things. Lack of G's? Motion seats are available, although building one takes some smarts, or buying one takes some dough. For the most part I think people would find themselves surprised at the experience they get in DCS for the cost of a brand new lenovo explorer without controllers ($99 usd) provided they had hardware that allowed for no less than 45fps gameplay. At least, the people I know doing so are having a good time with it. If your stomach can handle it, there might be a good chance if you just fly with it for a week you'll end up having too much fun to focus on the cons of DCS in VR.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

is that enough?

Pimax initially aimed for a budget of about 400 000$ afair but the kickstarter campaign went through the roof to over 4 200 000$. Also those who ordered a Pimax in November now get their order numbers in the heights of about 12000. When one Pimax sells for about 800$ that is 9 600 000$ for them. And this is only Pimax. Where does your negativity come from? Just leaving this here.

I remember my buddy went out and bought a computer with a ten megabyte hard drive. I laughed at him. You'll never fill that up, I said. Waste of money. Floppies are cheap, brother!

Someday our grandkids will laugh at us when we tell them we used to watch movies on a "screen." What, like flat? How do you walk around in something flat? How did you interact with the characters? You DIDN'T? Wow grandpa... I can't imagine that...

It's not just a question of why wouldn't you want to play Minecraft in VR if you could. It's that I remember when people read magazines on planes. Then they brought laptops. Now they are all fiddling with smartphones. Doesn't take much imagination to figure in a couple years they will all be wearing VR glasses, waving their hands around in the air.

It's coming, folks. I mean, cmon. How can it not?

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I remember my buddy went out and bought a computer with a ten megabyte hard drive. I laughed at him. You'll never fill that up, I said. Waste of money. Floppies are cheap, brother!

Someday our grandkids will laugh at us when we tell them we used to watch movies on a "screen." What, like flat? How do you walk around in something flat? How did you interact with the characters? You DIDN'T? Wow grandpa... I can't imagine that...

It's not just a question of why wouldn't you want to play Minecraft in VR if you could. It's that I remember when people read magazines on planes. Then they brought laptops. Now they are all fiddling with smartphones. Doesn't take much imagination to figure in a couple years they will all be wearing VR glasses, waving their hands around in the air.

It's coming, folks. I mean, cmon. How can it not?

While it may not be as short as couple of years, like you I do believe that is coming.

I expect in 6-10 years time things will be very different.

Don B

While it may not be as short as couple of years, like you I do believe that is coming.

I expect in 6-10 years time things will be very different.

man, I mean, IN MY LIFE SPAN :mad:

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I had dcs years ago and lost interest relatively quick. Came back to DCS with a vive as swiviver hinted about it. Been hooked heavily all because of VR.

What's holding VR back is lack of graphics power. We need better processing power. Sad but a 2080ti is simply not enough horsepower.

i7 7700, 1080ti, 16gb, peasant PC machine

What's holding VR back is lack of graphics power. We need better processing power. Sad but a 2080ti is simply not enough horsepower.

Interesting that you think throwing horsepower (hardware) will fix all of the problems. Have you considered that coding has not adapted sufficiently? If you look at the CPU/GPU usage of most games vs. their VR performance, coding is a much more likely culprit than lack of processing power.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

WHERE IS VR AT THE MOMENT WHAT IS THE LATEST OR IS VR DIYNG A SLOW DEATH?

I think VR is definitely here to stay. In all it's incarnations I think the most recent headsets make me believe that things will now just continue to grow now. However I still think it's got a long way to go in terms of things like headset size and just the general smoothness of the VR experience. For sims though, the potential is pretty big.

Link - https://aeonreviews.com/best-vr-headset-for-vrchat/

Edited by irongamer
Added link

Interesting that you think throwing horsepower (hardware) will fix all of the problems. Have you considered that coding has not adapted sufficiently? If you look at the CPU/GPU usage of most games vs. their VR performance, coding is a much more likely culprit than lack of processing power.

Likely , almost certainly , true . However , coding is something we as consumers have no control over . So the only thing we can do is throw hardware at the problem-and keep an eye out for more optimised flightsims .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The vr is not dead but it is clear that there is a desire to earn manufacturers, you can make better screens and lenses with current technologies instead we are stuck to problems such as sde but especially as the poor quality lenses.

Which HMD do you have? Original Rift? Odyssey+ and Pimax5K+ have made great strides on both fronts.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1