Problems with Vertical Landing

Gladius

I don't know the specific operating range of AUTO flaps with gear up (I've seen between 5 and 8 degrees), but they automatically program to 25 with gear down.

STOL flaps only react to nozzles between 31 degrees and 50 degrees, and only when below 165kts (as you discovered).

I consider this an advanced technique, but maybe it is something to try at the beginning. Put the HUD into HUD REJ2.

I kinda need HUD REJ off for all other maneuvers, but puting the AOA and Vertical Speed as an analog scale and removing all else made Case 1 recovery easier. WITH ONE LARGE EXCEPTION.

Nozzle position and flaps are not displayed. A point I found out too late in the recovery. This isn't this a deal breaker as AOA trumps all.

For me, on start up, I set the Nozzle stop at 82°. At the break, STO flaps set, chase the VDI, 250 lower gear, adjust nozzles (by feel) to 30°, chase the VDI. At 165 chase the VDI with the Nozzles and flaps. During slow down for which ever landing is chosen, adjust nozzle angle for proper AOA. Make small nozzle changes ( 5° ish ) and patiently adjust. Bust them nozzles to the STO stop at the right moment, chase the VDI with the throttle, speed with witch hat and stick.

It's the patience of small adjustments that allowed me to stop staring at the HUD and start observing the surroundings. My adjustments started being made by outside observations more than HUD symbology. Also chasing the VDI solved 40% of my issues.

"Smoked" Case 1 Recovery; [url="https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=228242"URL]

Edited by Mecrutio

Gigabyte Tech. 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, 16 Gig RAM @ 2200 Mhz, Radeon X480, Oculus Rift

What devilry is this?!

I am most intrigued, any chance of a vid?

EDIT: This isn't me, btw it's actually Nealius's video

Edited by Shadow_1stVFW

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

make sure your plane is under 19000lbs. The heavier you are the harder it is to do vertical landings. Try doing some maneuvers in hover mode to get a feel of the plane before you attempt a carrier landing.

And silly as it sounds, keep the water settings to takeoff when you land. The added power and cooler engine should help you land easier, but just do it quickly since T/O setting burns water fast.

I have reach the point where I can easily land on FOB helipad with little problem (loaded under 50% fuel by the way).

EDIT: This isn't me, btw it's actually Nealius's video

Ahhh noice! That seems way more sane than how it originally sounded, 60 in the groove and 82 hover stop, not so dissimilar to the standard pattern really.

I had visions of the nozzles swinging back and forth whilst coming alongside the carrier, twas haunting my dreams :joystick:

Just a note, that video is quite old and I've changed my approach a little bit. I plan on making a video on my new techniques, but with my move and new job coming up I don't know when I'll finish. Currently, I keep the Witch Hat on the horizon and adjust nozzles to fine-tune my speed with the Tarawa. If the Tarawa is steaming around 11kts or so I tend to use 80-81 nozzles.

We all start off like this...

tumblr_ospyh8IX1k1qj6sk2o3_500.gif

IT'S LIKE RIDING A BIKE, YOU NEVER FORGET REALLY..... WOA!!!

@Nealius That does still boggle my brain somewhat. Through curves I've wiggled the hover stop position to the detent on the top rotary of the X-52 so it's hover stop or bust, tend to adjust where the witch hat is in order to keep pace with the boat.

Edited by Sadist_Cain

How do you PNB without being able to go past the hover stop?

The top rotary has the detent in the middle, so I may lose a bit of granular adjustment but it's still easy enough to get into where I want it 50/60/70 etc..

I figure the rotary has 180° of rotation, so I don't need all of that to do 99° of nozzles :)

In return I get a detent on the 82° and just have to throw it past that somewhat and I'm in braking stop :thumbup:

Ah, I see. My X52 has a similar rotary with a detent in the middle, although mine gives about 50N right at the detent.

If you fiddle with inverting the axis and muck about with the curves somewhat you can move where that detent is in relation to the nozzle angle.

All things being equal for the X-52 that's a curve of +32, Slider & invert both ticked and that'll move the detent to around the 82° position :) You can have your hover stop anywhere you like this way.

My only real problem is the side landing wible wobble maneuver. Is there a trick to that?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

My only real problem is the side landing wible wobble maneuver. Is there a trick to that?

Practice and peripheral vision.

I like to cross at 120ft/45° angle while keeping my attention on the 'island' - I'm still not very good but am getting better (as long as I don't over focus and induce PIOs).

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Well, I'm using a rift, so peripheral vision isn't a thing :) I get 100 degrees not more not less ;).

I'm not sure what you mean by cross at 120'. I'm just not sure how to generate the 45degree component of the flight while staying level.

I'm pulling up to the side of whichever carrier, matching speed, I'm maybe 20 ft higher than the deck, then I'm trying to shimmy/drop to the right for the landing. Usually I induce a PIO and it goes horribly wrong. Otherwise If just land straight in on the back I can do that no issue most of the time.

Trying to do what they are doing at the 2:25 mark.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The wibble wobble is tough. I found it to be a sensitivity issue with my stick so I increased my curves. I had perfect curves for combat maneuvering and doing vertical landings, then one of the updates changed something and I can't stabilize the roll sensitivity in vertical landings without getting an extremely sluggish roll in combat. It's like I need a curve of 10 for combat maneuvering and a curve of 20-25 for VTOL work.