JTAC omits region grid?

Darcwaynard

Been using jtac for a while now but just wondering... Why for example in the Caucasus map Jtac will omit the first 3 digits/letters ie: 37T or 38T?

Is this normal practice or an oversight in the sim?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

This is common practice and in accordance with the JP 3-09.3 CAS manual.
Copy that. So I guess we would assume grid zone designations are pre briefed?

I only ask because I use the F-18c for jtac missions and have to use a coordinate converter app to get the decimal seconds coordinates until mgrs is implemented. I end up having to reference a zone map online to make sure I'm converting the correct zone. It would be useful if jtac included the zone code, although if it's left out for realism that's all well and good.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

• 2 weeks later...

The GZD would be prebriefed and is found in the margins of any paper maps that would be issued. My experience is on the ground side, so I don't know how aviators handle missions that straddle GZDs.

MGRS is ridiculously easy to use with a bit of practice. Even a young Marine Corporal can call in a 9-line close air support request. (Just be sure to give the pilot the grid to your target and not your own grid.)

Here is a nifty PDF that explains a ton about MGRS and its cousin UTM.

http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/coordsys/mmr201.pdf