DCS WWII Map Discussion

No, it wont be, the Normandy Map is a third party map, this new WWII map will be a EDSA map. No linked versions planned at this time.

The level of detail should be good or better than Normandy I would think. Seems every new map is a little better than the last.

The only thing I wish for a new European map is that it actually follows era maps with regards to roads, cities/towns, forests, rivers, etc.

There are many sources for such maps, and there should be no excuse for not having a landscape recognizable from actual maps of the time.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I dont understand is how nobody suggested the Obvious.

Next map Should be MTO. Libya, Morocco, even Egypt.

Still I would do Infini and Morrocco, You already have compatible planes, (or beter said stand in planes, Bf 019 Mustangs, Spit, You have the Rata coming, you give a suitable playground for Spanish die hards ;), its all SAND!!!!!

You have most of the Ground units, and you can beguin to mix Carriers and Hellcats on the Royal Navy Service.

You give us Libya, and at least you have half the job done for a 1980s Tomcats map ;)

Dam even malta would be awesome and simple.

What I dont understand is how nobody suggested the Obvious.

Next map Should be MTO. Libya, Morocco, even Egypt.

Still I would do Infini and Morrocco, You already have compatible planes, (or beter said stand in planes, Bf 019 Mustangs, Spit, You have the Rata coming, you give a suitable playground for Spanish die hards ;), its all SAND!!!!!

You have most of the Ground units, and you can beguin to mix Carriers and Hellcats on the Royal Navy Service.

You give us Libya, and at least you have half the job done for a 1980s Tomcats map ;)

Dam even malta would be awesome and simple.

Because we would need almost entirely new plane set? In fact even the Spitfire Mk IX we have now, the earliest a/c we have, would not be appropriate for the theatre.

The Axis forces surrendered en masse in May 1943 before any of the axis a/c we have flew and the fight moved to Italy.

The Corsair II that we are getting did not enter FAA service until mid 1944 so it is no help in a N. African theatre.

The I-16 would be the correct timeframe but as far as I know none saw service in that theatre.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the N. African theatre but it will be a long time before it would be developed to a point that you could have a believable mission.

Germany and Austria map would fit some of our planeset, late war defence of se reich^^

+1 This would be the best idea IMO. Swirling dogfights in the alps and takeoffs and landings from airfields nestled between mountains or on mountain sides sounds awesome to me!

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

+1 This would be the best idea IMO. Swirling dogfights in the alps and takeoffs and landings from airfields nestled between mountains or on mountain sides sounds awesome to me!

indeed...the aeral battle lasted to the very end of the war in that area, its a beautiful scenery, very interesting in real life flying too, would fit the already existing planeset and its different to what the sim competition is developing right now...definitely my personal number 1 choice...but lets see what we'll get.

Edited by birdstrike

We are gonna stay in Europe a little while longer if that helps everyone.

Yes, it helps :thumbup:

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ugra Media, also working for other sims.

http://www.ugra-media.ru/

That's great news!!!

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 2 months later...

I'm waiting to see what the two new maps are, but if ED are smart enough then they are making one late-war theater (late 1944 or 1945) to accommodate the already existing P51D and Bf109 K4 as well as the current FW 190, and one mid-war theater (1943) for the Spitfire Mk IX we already have and for the upcoming FW 190 A8, the Mosquito and, hopefully, the Bf 109 G. No aircraft would be out of place then. I just hope they're not making a map that would be too early for the Mk IX and the already announced planes. That would make no sense at all.

The P47D would then suit the Normandy map perfectly as well as the late war one. And if they ever make the Me 262 there would already be an appropriate map to use it with.

Sure an early-war map would be great to have, too. The Battle of Britain or invasion of France in 1940 come to mind, but that would require a few appropriate planes to go with which then would be useless expect if ED developed two early-war maps, which I don't think they would.

I wouldn't mind seeing some eastern front maps too, but we all know it's the other sim's territory so it might not be a good business decision for ED. But this still leaves open the massive Pacific theater (there's so many options that even the 2 big sims wouldn't need to compete there), from Pearl Harbor to 1945 and maybe even Burma.

Personally, I started playing DCS with the more modern aircraft, FC3 and all that, but now find the WW2 branch of the sim even more fun. Regardless of who prefers what era, the WW2 devs will never have to worry about stuff being classified:smilewink:

MTO

MTO

MTO

MTO

MTO

:music_whistling:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Mediterranean Theater of Operations

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

And it is the best theater of operations of WW2 for flight sims.

It is mid-war mostly, so the sides are pretty well matched. It has mountains, coastline, shipping lanes, relatively short flying distances, and on and on.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Mediterranean Theater of Operations

you mean like whole north africa + south europe that would be bad ass map :)

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor