F18 NWS problem

PinkyRng

I want to know if I'm the only one who has this issue. Sometimes while taxing the hornet just stops turning. On mos other planes this never happens but with F18 it is a constant issue, is this just a bug or something ? NWS is on I even try turning with NWS HI I regain control of steering once I come to a complete stop.

Edited by PinkyRng

If you're taxiing too fast the wheel will skid out and you'll stop turning. I'd check your speed before turning.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

NWS HI on the Hornet also has quite a lot of authority: +/-75 degrees. If you crank the nose wheel all the way over while stopped and then throttle up it seems like the nose wheel will just slide rather than turning. I've found starting with less turn input and only going hard over once I'm already moving keeps the sliding to a minimum.

You're probably moving to fast sir.

It also helps to always move forward a little bit first and then start steering gently, she will perform some very tight turns but you have to be slow and gentle.

Pro tip:

Move forward 1-2 feet first then gently turn NWS all the way to the left and right trying to move as slowly as you can.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Can’t say I’ve ever had it just stop turning completely from skidding... and that is taxiing at absurd video game speeds.

Is your launch bar down? When it is you cannot engage high gain and need to hold nws to turn.

But other than that... perhaps some window/control issue? often when taxiing I’m alt-tabbing checking briefing freqs/flight plan and if not active window it won’t turn obviously. Make sure no modifier is set up as. Toggle that would interfere with your assignment.

Carrier ops prohibit starting from dead stop with NWS HI due to deck crew safety but doubt this is hard coded in... I don’t do it so it could have been added and I missed it

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Carrier ops prohibit starting from dead stop with NWS HI due to deck crew safety but doubt this is hard coded in... I don’t do it so it could have been added and I missed it

Nope, it's not coded, I do it all the time and it works (never knew I shouldn't :)). Key is to feather the throttle and start slow and she'll turn on something less than a dime.

I'm practicing case 1 right now and having this problem. I'm not going very fast at all and NWS HI will cause me to go straight. Further, NWS HI is "sticking" in the on mode for some reason? Never had this happen on an airfield while practicing.

Are those of you who are saying "go slow" and "never had this problem" trying to land on the carrier and do this right now? Because it seems like its a bug.

But I could be doing something wrong. I am just now learning this jet.

Edit: Went to an airfield and had no problems using NWS HI. Seems to me like there's a problem with the NWS on carriers.

Edited by Relic

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

The positions of the wings affects the state of NWS as well. With the wings down and locked, NWS HI is only available while the NWS/Undesignate button is held down, otherwise defaults to LO. With the wings folded, NWS will start in LO, then switch and stay on HI after pressing the NWS/Undesignate button.

You can regain NWS LO with the wings folded by either: A) Turning off NWS completely by holding the paddle switch then pressing the NWS/Undesignate button again, or B) lowing the launch bar, which automatically defaults to NWS LO.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I'm practicing case 1 right now and having this problem. I'm not going very fast at all and NWS HI will cause me to go straight. Further, NWS HI is "sticking" in the on mode for some reason? Never had this happen on an airfield while practicing.

Are those of you who are saying "go slow" and "never had this problem" trying to land on the carrier and do this right now? Because it seems like its a bug.

If your wings are folded, the NWS HI becomes a toggle rather than press and hold.

I just finished flying the 2nd mission of the Exigent Riviera campaign and took off from a carrier. Did a hard right turn from parking to the cat and it worked. Little bit of throttle to get moving, then pivoted 90+ deg right no problem. I think it was mentioned before, but since you're not having the issue on land, just on the carrier, check that the LAUNCH BAR is not down. Launch bar down will prevent NWS HI.

If your wings are folded, the NWS HI becomes a toggle rather than press and hold.

I just finished flying the 2nd mission of the Exigent Riviera campaign and took off from a carrier. Did a hard right turn from parking to the cat and it worked. Little bit of throttle to get moving, then pivoted 90+ deg right no problem. I think it was mentioned before, but since you're not having the issue on land, just on the carrier, check that the LAUNCH BAR is not down. Launch bar down will prevent NWS HI.

NWS HI will actually function if the wings are unlocked, they don't have to even be folded - but on a carrier, it is best practice to completely fold the wings. But again, they simply have to be unlocked to lock NWS HI on.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Noted regarding wings folded and locking nws hi. That covers that.

But I see a big difference in nws hi handling now both on carrier and airfield AFTER landing. Im going at walking pace too....

If I spawn in on deck or ground, nws hi operates easily. After landing it hardly ever functions. If not a bug, what else am I doing wrong that would cause this?

And to repeat again, I'm moving slowly

Edit: I often forget to turn off anti skid before landing. Would anti skid affect nws hi?

Edited by Relic

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Noted regarding wings folded and locking nws hi. That covers that.

But I see a big difference in nws hi handling now both on carrier and airfield AFTER landing. Im going at walking pace too....

If I spawn in on deck or ground, nws hi operates easily. After landing it hardly ever functions. If not a bug, what else am I doing wrong that would cause this?

And to repeat again, I'm moving slowly

Hard landing(s) and possibly damaging the front gear? Anti skid turned on and inhibiting movement/functionality?

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I think it was anti-skid that was giving me troubles with using NWS HI. ;)

Happy to assist sir, glad you got it sorted!

Cheers,

Don