Your Thoughts: Is the F-16 Worth Time Investment Now, or Just Wait

flameoutme

I'm still flying Falcon BMS in it's latest iteration and I still bought this. Yes I was frustrated when I purchased it and saw just how far off the finished article it is. But it's a beauty and I love flying it. That alone is making it worth it, but I'm a patient man...

...I REALLY need that effing jammer though!!!

Intel i9-9900K processor at 4.60GHz OC

Windows 10, 64 bit

16GB Corsair DDR4 3200 RAM

Asus GeForce RTX 2080, Dual OC 8GB

27" IIyama screen at 2560x1440

Oculus Rift S

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Saitek Combat rudder pedals

Logitech G13 pad

Thrustmaster MFDs

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the Hornet was doing fine as an EA module. People were generally happy with its regular updates and its steady progress. I think it met the expectations of even first timers, of what having an EA module would be like... until it got bumped by the Viper. IMO, the Hornet pre-Viper was a reasonable example of what an EA should be.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Actually, the Hornet was doing fine as an EA module. People were generally happy with its regular updates and its steady progress. I think it met the expectations of even first timers, of what having an EA module would be like... until it got bumped by the Viper. IMO, the Hornet pre-Viper was a reasonable example of what an EA should be.

Exactly. If ED cannot work on X EA modules at the same time without slowing down work on one or the other, then X is too high a number. They need to 'complete' products before moving onto another product. If that means a drop in EA money coming in and that risks their business, then the need to change their business model to survive/prosper.

Exactly. If ED cannot work on X EA modules at the same time without slowing down work on one or the other, then X is too high a number. They need to 'complete' products before moving onto another product. If that means a drop in EA money coming in and that risks their business, then the need to change their business model to survive/prosper.

This x1000.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/64/58/ea6458e2d324aa68f5ac76922536c033.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

Couldn’t agree more.

To the OP, just wait.

Edited by Hamilton

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

I don't mind the EA model because I'm quite impatient and I want my shiny new toys asap, but that says more about me than ED. I also like testing for bugs because it forces me to learn each system and figure out if the problem is me or the aircraft. That being said, if the community had to vote between EA or waiting 2-3 more years for a finished module, I wonder what the final tally would be.

ED does seem a lot more tolerant recently in regard to discussions on this topic, which is nice. They're a lot more patient with their customers than I am.

run come save me

I don't mind the EA model because I'm quite impatient and I want my shiny new toys asap, but that says more about me than ED. I also like testing for bugs because it forces me to learn each system and figure out if the problem is me or the aircraft. That being said, if the community had to vote between EA or waiting 2-3 more years for a finished module, I wonder what the final tally would be.

ED does seem a lot more tolerant recently in regard to discussions on this topic, which is nice. They're a lot more patient with their customers than I am.

They would wait better if they didn't know the plane was coming. Ed should keep from talking about a new plane until it's almost finished. This would be if there was no EA.

Buzz

I think that we would find that the old truism about the customer not really knowing what they want until they get it would very much be the case. People would say that they would rather something like the F-16's early access release but in reality, they would (at least on average) rather not even know about such a module until it is much further along in early access. The Hornet was just kinda barely on that line which is why it was not met with such a relatively cool reception.

The Hornet was just kinda barely on that line which is why it was not met with such a relatively cool reception.

Don't you mean the Viper or am I misunderstanding you? The Hornet reaction at the time was relatively positive - the increased amount of bad feedback is for the Viper, and due to the impact it has had on the Hornet.

Edit: reread your post and it makes sense - we’re agreeing.

Edited by Arctander

The Falcon/Viper in VR is fantastic !

I fly BMS alot in a squad , and although the Viper in DCS is EA , we all love it .

Its EA , so we expect it to have downsides , but we still love it in DCS .

We wont be switching to DCS for official nights any time soon but every other night we fly DCS F16 .

So in short , if you have VR , its a must buy .I dont fly it non VR so not qualified to say in that area , but some guys in the squad fly it non VR and they love it just as much .

With all the answers here its a tough choice but I say buy it .

I did a takeoff with clean aircraft and did a unrestricted climb straight up like at the airshow and I was hooked, this is sooo much fun to fly!

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

I'd wait personally.

Has a long way to go

that...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

If you like the plane just buy it and have fun. It will get updates pretty quick, in the meantime enjoy learning what is already implemented.

Based on ED's updating of the Hornet, this is a very trusting statement to make. I would expect at least another 2.5 to 3 years of development until it is near full release.

I've been enjoying the hell out of it, but I'm well aware it's pretty rough at this point. Then again, the Viper has been my favorite fighter jets as long as I can remember.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Given that I'm pretty low on the rather steep DCS learning curve, the F-16 is a good fit. I figure I can learn each of the new systems as they come online and adjust to any changes. Tbh, I am learning so many different planes and helicopters, I haven't even fully learned all of the early access F-16 systems yet. I'm sure a veteran might breeze through most of the stuff the F-16 can do without even needing a manual, since it is fairly intuitive, but a couple days ago I didn't even know what BVR, STT, or ILS meant so with a 188 page manual, the F-16 has plenty on offer for me to learn.