Oculus Quest Question

Mad-Mex

Since the rift S does not fit my nogging , I bought the Quest, setting the IPD at max works for me,, here is the question,, can I use it with DCS ?

It was delivered today, I am out of town and wont be home for 2 days, I would like to get all help I can get before getting excited about it.

Thanks !!!

No, at least not at this time.

Oculus is bringing out what they call Oculus Link, which will allow the Quest to be tethered to the PC with a USB-C 3 cable. Oculus will be offering a fiber optic USB 3 cable.

This is slated to be in beta in November. No one knows how DCS might perform in this way.

https://www.androidcentral.com/oculus-link-hands-on-five-questions-answered

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

... can I use it with DCS ?

No, at least not at this time.

Actually YES even without cables using WiFi.

There are several solutions made by the third party and this is one of them.

To be clear Quest link will be in the end best option once arrived on market for 80$ but this is available now and it is a solid alternative.

Yeah but good luck getting DCS to run over wireless.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...

Wireless did work very well with DCS, but only for a while, with ALVR.

Currently there is no other app or alternative. We just have to wait and hope that link is going to work!

Cheers

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying

You can run it with ALVR version 4 (previous version). The latest version and experimental v7 version doesn't work well.

It is quite lag free for me. The graphics fidelity is not the best, not sure whether it is a headset issue or resolution transmission over wifi issue but i'll compare it when the Link comes out.

I managed to fly the Viper and Hornet for over an hour yesterday and still remaining 45% charge.

You can run it with ALVR version 4 (previous version). The latest version and experimental v7 version doesn't work well.

It is quite lag free for me. The graphics fidelity is not the best, not sure whether it is a headset issue or resolution transmission over wifi issue but i'll compare it when the Link comes out.

I managed to fly the Viper and Hornet for over an hour yesterday and still remaining 45% charge.

Ok so now I am going to ask a dumb question on my part - what advantage do you get from using a wireless headset? I mean for me I am trying to determine what that might be. Yes I have a Quest also and enjoy it for what I can do with it, but really don't get what the benefit might be playing a seated VR game like DCS. I have many hours in DCS with first my Rift CV1 and now my Rift S, and really the cable does not bother me at all. Yeah if I was playing as standing room scale game, then it would. But for DCS I will be seated and stationary as I need my controllers etc.

With Oculus Link, I can understand the strong interest there from the public - mainly because it opens up Quest owners or future owners to be able to play any PC Games on their Quest, but still that is tethered and with the pipeline it will need to go through I can not imagine the experience being as good as a dedicated VR PC headset would be - at least currently. So while I think yes DCS can likely be run through a Quest with the Link cable, I can't imagine the image to be as sharp and smooth as in my Rift S. And then there are the lower fps due to the lower refresh rate of the Quest.

I will be trying it out as soon as it becomes available, but I really do not expect it to take the place of my Rift S for any of my PC gaming - at least currently.

Don B

Ok so now I am going to ask a dumb question on my part - what advantage do you get from using a wireless headset? I mean for me I am trying to determine what that might be. Yes I have a Quest also and enjoy it for what I can do with it, but really don't get what the benefit might be playing a seated VR game like DCS. I have many hours in DCS with first my Rift CV1 and now my Rift S, and really the cable does not bother me at all. Yeah if I was playing as standing room scale game, then it would. But for DCS I will be seated and stationary as I need my controllers etc.

With Oculus Link, I can understand the strong interest there from the public - mainly because it opens up Quest owners or future owners to be able to play any PC Games on their Quest, but still that is tethered and with the pipeline it will need to go through I can not imagine the experience being as good as a dedicated VR PC headset would be - at least currently. So while I think yes DCS can likely be run through a Quest with the Link cable, I can't imagine the image to be as sharp and smooth as in my Rift S. And then there are the lower fps due to the lower refresh rate of the Quest.

I will be trying it out as soon as it becomes available, but I really do not expect it to take the place of my Rift S for any of my PC gaming - at least currently.

Think about people who dont have the money to buy several VR headsets and maybe you get a clue why people are hyped ablut a 2-in-1 solution. :)

I fly IL2 using a fork of ALVR that fixes some issues. The compression makes the ground a bit blurry but spotting is much much easier compared to my regular rift. The link cable will be much improved over this, with lower latency and less compressed image.

The main thing that kills my use of ALVR is when the misses watches Netflix it ****ing me right up with shuttering and lag. Won't be a problem for the link cable. My plan is to actually run a long active usb 3.0 run (plus a usb 2.0 for stick, throttle and rudder) into another room so that my flight sim gear can fold up into a nearby closet.

Edited by TomVR

I fly IL2 using a fork of ALVR that fixes some issues. The compression makes the ground a bit blurry but spotting is much much easier compared to my regular rift. The link cable will be much improved over this, with lower latency and less compressed image.

The main thing that kills my use of ALVR is when the misses watches Netflix it ****ing me right up with shuttering and lag. Won't be a problem for the link cable. My plan is to actually run a long active usb 3.0 run (plus a usb 2.0 for stick, throttle and rudder) into another room so that my flight sim gear can fold up into a nearby closet.

Is this the fork you use for dcs now? My controller seems to get bugged with this version. I downgraded to v4 to run dcs but it crashes with excessive head movement (checking my six)

Hi Mad-Mex,

here I am using the Quest too with Virtual Desktop (ALVR works too). Be sure to have a direct line of sight of your 5 GHz-WLAN!

Greetings, Flummi

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|