G force physical simulation - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #41
Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
We can understand our position with certainty when we are at; +/- 90 ° roll (1g) -180 roll (1g) +/- 90 pitch, these 100% in each situation (1g) guarantee correct sensations.
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here, but...
It’s totally possible to be +1g and inverted. Which is why relying on your vestibular system can be dangerous.

But that’s not what we’re talking about here.

This is about physical ques that will aid your immersion in a flightsim.
For this, you don’t need full g-force simulation.
Harness restrainers, seat pushers, vibrators, etc, will fill in some of the blanks when flying a flightsim.
Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #42
WindyTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJoJunior View Post
There are other realistic effects provided to fixed wing beyond stuff like rumble. Pitch trim of course. But more importantly, the tension in the stick will change depending on how fast you are going, which really aids in immersion. Not so relevant for FBW planes, though.
I am very interested in the trim thing the force in the stick which did ramp up at speed in the Tornado was kind of subtle as in I don't miss it. Apart from the stick shaker as I previously mentioned most feedback is from your backside as to how the aircraft is handling.

I am very interested in your trim idea tho. I would pay for a stick that lets me trim forces out to a position as in real life rather than always trimming to stick centered as we do in DCS. Does this work as of now with a FFB system I was under the impression they didn't allow much movement to start and we're more akin to an F16 which auto trims anyway.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses
WindyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #43
harryharry

Sk000tch, a good entry point for gseats is
https://youtu.be/PzwfRqSbLzo from bergison 2014. He has some more very good videos from his newest Motion integrated gseat which is if i understand it right, basicly a motionplattform with a gseat on top which is indirectly driven from the Plattform actuators. I used this kind of System for half a year now and was very happy with it. Of course to work it properly you have to do the right settings in the setup for the plattform. Basicly you would use heave, surge and sway on the Plattform instead of heave, pitch and roll which is normally used. From my experience this worked better for me than the plattform alone. A friend who is a glider Pilot irl does also like this setup more than the platform alone. He is very impressed. Since September i have 4 Motors extra for the flaps of my gseat and this gives me a few more possibilities to setup the System because now i have heave, pitch, roll on the Plattform and heave, surge and sway on the gseat. As expected i like this setup even more but i would not begin with that because it needs a lot of tuning the parameters of 8 Motors and could be overwhelming and therefore frustrating from the start. The gseat gives also the possibilty to rotate the body a bit which is very usefull to sense the rotation along yaw axis while hovering in a heli.

Very impressive how fast you could collect information
about future possibilities to manipulate our balance System.

I get Motion sickness in vr very fast. If i have setup the whole System right i can fly for hours. But unfortunately you have to find the right Settings First whenever you change the System fundamentally.
And this is a pain for me. So i do not plan to change something in the near future.
harryharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #44
Wmacky

HI Harry -

How is the DCS plug in coming along?

(For those that don't know harryharry is the gentleman that is working on the DCS plugin for the SFX-100 motion system!)
Wmacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #45
harryharry

Hi wmacky, i finished the plugin in the middle of may and use it very often since then. Roller25 did some Updates but i didnt try because they are all for the f18 and i prefer the yak to which his version is not compatible at the current state. Some people who tried his version are very enthusiastic. Worked on the gseat in Summer and am very happy with the results.
Do you use the plugin? Is your System finished?
harryharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #46
JoeyJoJoJunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyTX View Post
I am very interested in the trim thing the force in the stick which did ramp up at speed in the Tornado was kind of subtle as in I don't miss it. Apart from the stick shaker as I previously mentioned most feedback is from your backside as to how the aircraft is handling.

I am very interested in your trim idea tho. I would pay for a stick that lets me trim forces out to a position as in real life rather than always trimming to stick centered as we do in DCS. Does this work as of now with a FFB system I was under the impression they didn't allow much movement to start and we're more akin to an F16 which auto trims anyway.

Yes, you can trim out the forces. Having said that, some implementations leave a lot to be desired. Ideally, at full pitch up trim, the stick would be near or at full deflection forward, and same for all the other axes. But in some modules it seems like the "trim zone" is so narrow that trimming by feel is not very effective since the stick will only move a small part of the travel when trimming. It really depends on the module. Or maybe this is realistic to those airframes? I'm not a real pilot so I wouldn't know. It would be nice if implementations were more uniform or tweakable. There is a 3rd party utility called simFFB that allows you to trim the full range of each axis, and with that you can definitely trim by pulling/pushing on the stick and trimming until you feel no more forces. Downside being you lose all game-specific effects.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #47
WindyTX

By game specific effects do you mean the stick shaking in which case I would be happy as I use the jetseat for Aircraft feedback as I find it way more realistic.

What ffb stick would you be using ?

GTX 1080 Has its uses
Old 11-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #48
jross194

Since I built a DIY feedback system, using a sound puck, amp, and the SimShaker software, I've been unable to fly without it. It does add to the 'process' of getting the sim up but, if it's missing, I notice immediately. Things feel dead without it. I have mine set to start giving me feedback at 1.5 G. The important thing is to keep this constant so your butt learns, say, what n-G's (of vibration) feels like. All the other bells & whistles (Gear, flaps, probe, etc) are cool too, but the G, and stall buffet, are the biggies, imo.

Not scientific but I think I fly more smoothly. I need a bigger system (puck and amp) to make it really kick me in the arse (peaks at about 4-5 G) but, it does train you via feedback. I WISH this type of support was more deeply supported. JetSeat may be on my list if mine breaks, or I'll just rebuild it.

Last edited by jross194; 11-12-2019 at 10:42 PM.
jross194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:03 AM   #49
JoeyJoJoJunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyTX View Post
By game specific effects do you mean the stick shaking in which case I would be happy as I use the jetseat for Aircraft feedback as I find it way more realistic.

What ffb stick would you be using ?

Yes, stick shake, but also force change depending on airspeed; basically any effects programmed in the module inside DCS. If that's not important to you, then it might work for you. It also offers some constant damping and friction forces to tweak how the stick feels. I use a jetseat as well and I love it. Really adds to the experience. I'm using an MS FFB2 modded with an extension and F-22 grip and the resistor mod to double motor strength:

Spoiler:

Old 11-13-2019, 01:12 AM   #50
WindyTX

Kk thanks

GTX 1080 Has its uses