Attitude indicator horizon tilted after BFM/dogfight - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
Bearfoot

Default Attitude indicator horizon tilted after BFM/dogfight

Sometimes after a dogfight (assuming I survive!), I find that the horizon indicator is tilted (banked) quite a bit. Did I break something? This happens even if I take no damage. One possibility is that I pulled too much G --- would this be a result? I would post a track, but, as we know, F-14 tracks are totally borked at replicating anything with the F-14. Every replay has me firing into empty space randomly while twisting and turing, and then eventually either getting shot down or driving into the side of a mountain or the ground!
Bearfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
BonerCat

Yes, it's caused by over G. It can happend even when you don't black out, but essentially, your INS system cannot take such G without introducing error to the system. I m not entirely sure why, but it has to do with the INS unit being old tech.
You should see your standby attitude indicator still shows true when this happends
And if the error is big enough, your TWS phoenix shots may miss their targets, afaik
BonerCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
TLTeo

As far as I know, it's not about introducing some error in the INS as much as actually breaking the device itself, but yes, it's caused by pulling too much (instantaneous? not sure) G.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
BonerCat

You can break the ins entirely with too much g, but when that happends, the entire top center screen (unless set to TCS) goes black, leaving only basic symbology. If it only tilts, it will still respond to aircraft movement, but with a large error in the system.
BonerCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
Bearfoot

So my top center screen is intact. And no caution lights are on. But the horizon is definitely tilted. I did check the backup attitude indicator and this seems OK, so it makes sense that I have broken or misaligned something. I guess there is no in-air fix (like recalibraton)?
Bearfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
IronMike
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfoot View Post
So my top center screen is intact. And no caution lights are on. But the horizon is definitely tilted. I did check the backup attitude indicator and this seems OK, so it makes sense that I have broken or misaligned something. I guess there is no in-air fix (like recalibraton)?

No, the RIO should get the lights indicating that he has an IMU failure and switch to AHRS backup mode, unless everything has been broken, then you have to eyeball it or get vectored by someone.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote