L-39 Albatros FM too sensitive

ataribaby

Hello,

Recently got L-39 module and Kursant campaign and I found FM to be very sensitive - without any curves set to my Warthog even slightest movement of stick causes big pitch movement.

I checked elevator surfaces movement with external view and this seems to be normal and inline with stick pitch deviation. It is just FM that is so sensitive. I can't believe that slight elevator angle can produce that big pitch change.

I was unable to control jet till I set curvers to about 30. Is this normal or there is something fishy with FM and latest Open Beta?

I was unable to control jet till I set curvers to about 30. Is this normal or there is something fishy with FM and latest Open Beta?

No, it's normal. It's you man. I'm flying the L-39 right now and I'm perfectly able to fly the jet with no curves at all. It's just a sensitive plane by nature. It's made that way. If you find you can't control it, just practice and you will overcome it.

To explain a bit, what makes an aircraft sensitive is the position of its center of gravity in relation to its center of lift. A plane like a Cessna will have its center of gravity forward and thus won't feel twitchy at all. A military jet or aerobatic plane on the other hand will have their center of gravity more aft, making them a lot more sensitive to elevator input.

Modern jets like the Hornet, Viper, Mirage, etc, have built-in stabilization algorithms and basically help you control the aircraft easily. The L-39 doesn't have that, and that's why it feels very twitchy. But again, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep I trim her. For me it is very sensitive near center. Even slight movement of my Warthog stick in pitch results in big pitch command - I solved it to set pitch and roll curves to 25.

It is not some warthog setting or so - all other modules are fine.

As said, I probably need find sweet spot curves for me and get some time with her.

This might be helpful as well (was posted some time ago on the RUS side of the forum by an RL pilot):

PfbPifp.jpg

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Dont use curves, they have, by nature, a catchback on the other end of travel~

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

There's no single correct answer to this. First, you'll learn to avoid any excessive inputs with curves anyway and second, some short-throw sticks are so unstable and overtly sensitive that you'll just end up all around the place if you don't use them. So with some controllers curves are actually a must, although it's always better if you don't have to use them.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Have a Virpil stick with mount, so elbow rests on my leg as it would IRL. L-39 feels like a bus, with no curves. Hog travel is too short imho. Also, it definitely should not be on the table. Put it aside like on F-16 or get a mount.

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

Yep I use 10cm extension and table mount so stick is between legs :)

You should be good with this setup if the stick is not malfunctioning. Set no curves and practice. Fly circuits and routes. The key to success is better fly for 40 min 3-4 times a week than 3-4 hours once a week. Let your brain get used to it.

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder