Aviation Push

Not a very enticing prospect, to me, a flat world. Have a method for people to "fill out" desired areas with detail as 3rd party projects, just like every other simulator with world scenery. Don't do it without the proper mechanism.

ED folks are not stupid... if/when they have the resources they will start to attack features in popular demand. World scenery is a benchmark item that other "everything simulators" tend to boast. If you ask me it's a matter of time before ED joins that list. Conceptually, they've got an excellent start to the most complete flight simulator ever designed... they just need time.

+1111111111111111111

I only suggested the "flat earth" idea LOL because for ED it would be easier than trying to source global terrain data to do even a "generic" earth model. At least they could concentrate on making it expandable and contiguous, rather than going beyond simply making it happen and having to fill in the detail as well - that part can be left to 3rd party devs.

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
I only suggested the "flat earth" idea LOL because for ED it would be easier than trying to source global terrain data to do even a "generic" earth model.

Actually I think that would be part of the problem... and obviously I don't know but I imagine EDGE still isn't designed to handle a giant amount of data associated with global scenery and would require a huge overhaul anyway. But who knows, I wouldn't put that level of foresight past them.

The curvature of the earth would be nice for P-51 as well as B-25 but where do you start to make it work, parties for terrain isn’t promising at this time.

Is it because even the multiplayer hosts have lost their faith in publics ability to fly not to mention the creation of sceneries?

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

What we really need is a DCS MMO server, where squadrons can buy airbases with their airplane cash.

Because that horse hasn't been beaten to death.

The real question though is, say we have a global scenery. What happens if two people develop scenery close enough so they overlap? Say ED has Nevada, and somebody wants to bomb hippies so they develop California. Or the same with the Mormons, so they make a Utah map. :D

Which terrain then has priority over the other? And is there any guarantee that the terrain elevation will match up? We could have some severe hole issues in the terrain models.

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Your mention of Mormons caused me to realize that with the right terrain, central Maryland, we could combine civil and military aviation when a Cessna strays into restricted airspace and has to be forced down. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Your mention of Mormons caused me to realize that with the right terrain, central Maryland, we could combine civil and military aviation when a Cessna strays into restricted airspace and has to be forced down. :D

That's MORONS, not "Mormons" :D

Mormon is a religion, Moron is a way of life :P

Edited by Pyroflash

I would have let that one slide right past... just sayin' ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

'and the answer is'

"So then God created the world and on the first day he created light and air and fish and jam and soup and potatoes and haircuts and arguments and small things and rabbits and people with noses and jam, more jam perhaps..."

'What do you get when you look up Genesis in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Alex' :P:thumbup:

• ED Team

I dont care if the DCS world is flat as long as don't have to look at Georgia any more, in fact a completely fictional map would be fine in my eyes.

the answer is 42, and don't forget your towel

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I dont care if the DCS world is flat as long as don't have to look at Georgia any more, in fact a completely fictional map would be fine in my eyes.

the answer is 42, and don't forget your towel

They really need to make the earth round again, then they can get to other things. As it stands, Georgia is a flat terrain with no curvature. I hope they fix this in Nevada. I really do.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

My pet mouse disappeared when I was nine. I have always been suspicious. :D

That's MORONS, not "Mormons" :D

And which one are you?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

The real question though is, say we have a global scenery. What happens if two people develop scenery close enough so they overlap? Say ED has Nevada, and somebody wants to bomb hippies so they develop California. Or the same with the Mormons, so they make a Utah map. :D

Which terrain then has priority over the other? And is there any guarantee that the terrain elevation will match up? We could have some severe hole issues in the terrain models.

I have addon scenery installed in FSX and I would say that the overlapping of terrain elevation or holes in the ground has never been an issue, that’s because developers like to make it good.

FSX globe is divided into squares, you have an option for which sceneries to be loaded in the sim and set priorities for conflicting regions.

Now what about the tools? Gmax is free and versatile tool, SBuilderX is free, any one can have a go at creating a scenery although not every one would be willing to invest in 3DSmax and dedicate lots of time for an uncertain outcome.

The Digital Elevation Models are freely available but the satellite/aerial photography for commercial use has to be found and I’ll leave it at that.

3rd party’s free land scenery.

Edited by monotwix

And which one are you?

Trick question, I only drink Dr. Pepper.

But really, Nevada started out as a 3rd party terrain, so there is hope for future developments. Though the problem is that for now at least, the amount of terrain that has to be developed is simply staggering. Modeling the entirety of a state? I don't think many people are up to that sort of a challenge. If a global map ever does come out however, I can see it as being immensely more feasible. That way Devs could develop terrain of smaller size (and hopefully charge less), rather than spending the time to map out an extremely large area in detail.

Edited by Pyroflash

Trick question, I only drink Dr. Pepper.

Thanks a no-no as well :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

Now what about the tools? Gmax is free and versatile tool, SBuilderX is free, any one can have a go at creating a scenery although not every one would be willing to invest in 3DSmax and dedicate lots of time for an uncertain outcome.

So what you're saying is, "I want more things for free." All well and good, but don't get your hopes up. It ain't how the world works.

Regarding the requirement for a towel as an essential for succesfull inter-stellar travel ... don't you need to eat plenty of beer and drink heaps of peanuts?

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the tutorials for the creation of DCS scenery in the wiki, I figured that the necessary stuff for making photo realistic scenery is there (some key things ain’t, mission map), the concept behind each step in those tutorials is comprehendible to some degree and is concentrated more on step by step procedures. It’s like the chunks of information which have to be put together to see the picture and to estimate the time to produce a 160000 square km map.

The creation of land, roads and rivers has been covered, perhaps the creation of towns by means of flat polygons and assignments of buildings scares the crap out… of most. Well it probably does, otherwise there wouldn’t be the need for the following concept, the idea is there to make it work with fsx, it would require some dedicated minds to make it work in DCS.

I looked at this tutorial: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Autogen_from_OpenStreetMap_data_with_scenProc

No need to get optimistic or sad it’s only aviation push.

• 6 years later...

Because tired of looking at that stupid poll everyday

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10