Ram Air Question

GR00VYJERRY

On start up the guide says to put ram air open (forward). I thought the P-51 was supposed to be started with ram air closed. Then after take off you open ram air for cooling and most flying and fighting is done with it open. It is really only closed on takeoff (to keep dirt and ground debris out) and when crazy situations where you may need heat (icing). Am I wrong about this? Not sure if it matters in the sim or not but I have been starting my plane with the throttle in unrammed (back) and then opening it up right after take off.

DCS doesn't model dust ingestion or carb icing, so set the ram air to whatever you like for immersion purposes.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On start up the guide says to put ram air open (forward). I thought the P-51 was supposed to be started with ram air closed. Then after take off you open ram air for cooling and most flying and fighting is done with it open. It is really only closed on takeoff (to keep dirt and ground debris out) and when crazy situations where you may need heat (icing). Am I wrong about this? Not sure if it matters in the sim or not but I have been starting my plane with the throttle in unrammed (back) and then opening it up right after take off.

Ram Air for take off always. You want max power for take off.

Changing intake to Air filter will put danger for take off conditions.

This is for normal conditions.

You should jump in to Extreem conditions operations in manual, there maybe Air filtered is required in very dusty conditions.

MTCzFWO.png

You have this. Green light for Unrammed air.

Btw Ram Air job is to get your engine more boost at high speeds, it will simply elevate max throttle alt for 1st and 2nd blower speed

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

DCS doesn't model dust ingestion or carb icing, so set the ram air to whatever you like for immersion purposes.

As far as i knon it simulate crab icing. But p-51 has automatic boost control it is very hard to detect icing.I hope we will experiance icing more often in P-47 which one don't have automatic boost control

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

carb icing

Carb icing is modelled and AFAIK at least the Mi-8 has dust ingestion modelled as well. So the capability is there at any rate.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.