New to the BF 109

JayBird

So I just picked up the BF 109 and have yet to fly it. Before i do I've got a couple of questions.

My rudder pedals broke recently and i haven't replaced them, i saw on takeoff you are you pull the stick to the right, how frequently in normal flight is it necessary to use the rudder?

How negatively effected is performance with the drop tank?

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

from what I remember, (when I flew this bird a lot), you need to give a bit of right rudder as you start your roll. So right rudder initially is very important.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Do you think it would be tame enough to map a throttle button to each side?

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Do you think it would be tame enough to map a throttle button to each side?

if anything, it's worth a shot. :) but again, I believe the rudder authority is needed initially at rollout, and once you get ground speed you let off. (it's been a while, I'll have to fly her again. too much time in the F/A-18 and now the A-4)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks for the feedback guys, hopefully I can get my first flight in with the Kursk Monday night. I'll let you know how it goes with the rudder.

Anyone have any good scenarios on the Normandy map?

Go learn how to take off, land and navigate before worrying about shooting stuff. It’s quite a handful on the ground.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Go learn how to take off, land and navigate before worrying about shooting stuff. It’s quite a handful on the ground.

well...not much to navigate with, as there are no period correct beacons or landing systems in dcs...hopefully yet. about being a handfull on the ground...that was correct until they decided for whatever reason, to adjust the ground physics...now you can land in a complete slipped attitude without worrying about a crash...sure it lost its appeal with that decision.

anyway...for the OP, there is always the option to use take off assistance( hence why im confused and much against the arcade ground physics that are now forced upon all of us) and the option to use auto rudder....so even without a rudder device, you will be able to manage it with a little practice.

Took my first flight last night including taxi and takeoff and she is a bit of a handful on the ground, I didn't realize it was the wheel brakes that dictate yaw on the ground. I wasnt able to find any roll trim controls in the menu, is this accurate or was I just looking in the wrong spot?

I found I spent the entirety of the flight fighting to stay wings level

No in cockpit aileron trim control for the 109 I'm afraid.

Generally it is defaulted to a cruise power and speed setting; any change in power or speed will require deviated flight control position.

However, there is a 'Special' tab for the Bf-109 under the settings in which you can adjust fixed trim tabs to your preference. It'll be a trail and error exercise to set it up to something you find satisfactory. Be warned: what you gain in one regime of flight you will pay for in another so experiment and make sure your adjustments for cruise or climb don't make edge of the envelope handling problematic - would you rather have hands off handling for cruise and be struggling for precise control whilst trying to get that guns solution in the middle of a dogfight?

No in cockpit aileron trim control for the 109 I'm afraid.

Generally it is defaulted to a cruise power and speed setting; any change in power or speed will require deviated flight control position.

However, there is a 'Special' tab for the Bf-109 under the settings in which you can adjust fixed trim tabs to your preference. It'll be a trail and error exercise to set it up to something you find satisfactory. Be warned: what you gain in one regime of flight you will pay for in another so experiment and make sure your adjustments for cruise or climb don't make edge of the envelope handling problematic - would you rather have hands off handling for cruise and be struggling for precise control whilst trying to get that guns solution in the middle of a dogfight?

Thanks for the input. I'd like to try and keep from using any of the 'hacks' as much as I can, the roll wasn't awful, just a bit of an adjustment going from the Hornet with its digital flight controls to something that uses wires. I also realized that I didn't adjust the deadzone and curve on my stick which definitely had an effect.

Thanks for the input. I'd like to try and keep from using any of the 'hacks' as much as I can, the roll wasn't awful, just a bit of an adjustment going from the Hornet with its digital flight controls to something that uses wires. I also realized that I didn't adjust the deadzone and curve on my stick which definitely had an effect.

as far as I know, it simulates the trim adjustments the ground crew made before start. Haven't tested it yet though, I just bought it too.

IRocco is correct, the special tab isn't a hack.

The ground crew would set the trim tabs as per pilot's preference, and the first thing he would do with a new plane (given the time) is take it up and then have the ground crew make trim adjustments.

Awesome, I'll give it a shot today. Glad to hear its not an arcadey mechanic.