Senaki and Kutaisi ILS does not work

MikeMikeJuliet

I posted a report on this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201583

I flew the A-10C. On the same flight I tried Senaki ILS and Kutaisi ILS. Since I didn't get them to work I flew to Batumi where I know I've gotten the ILS to work previously and it did this time as well. All cockpit switches in the same position in all approaches (except frequency obviously) and as said, Batumi worked completely as expected so I can confirm this is no user error.

Requesting a fix for this. No point in having ILS frequencies on the plates if they are unusable.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

• 2 weeks later...
ILS for Kutaisi is working for RWY 08 with wind of 4m/s or more from the proper direction.

What the 'effin logic is that? The navaids should be on at all times! There are things called "Circling approaches" where you use the wrong end navaids to get below cloud for a visual approach to the wind-approproate runway... And does this mean that the most likely weather when you have really low clouds (e.g. 0-winds) you have no ILS available?!

But good to know. Shame the game never communicates this to the player. I really hope this issue is addressed.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

It's the logic for 2NDB systems which have set of inner/outer beacons where both directions have the same frequency pair. For these systems it is correct to only enable one direction at once.

But if the ILS is activated only with 4m/s winds, that means in calm conditions you have neither.

Besides: Senaki does not have ILS for RWY 27... so you can't use ILS at all if the wind's are at all from the wrong direction (and mind you, usually 10kt tailwind is allowed for).

Edited by MikeMikeJuliet

DCS always has a side of runway that is selected for in terms of radio landing aids (and that selection is slightly different than ATC selection, go figure). If it selects a direction which has no aid, then no aid is on.

More reading and diagram

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206555

Alright, that read did clear the underlying system and proposed agreeable changes which should be made.

My gripe with the system specifically is that in cases where there is only one landing aid (e.g. a single-direction ILS) the navaid is turned off because the wind is either not blowing from the correct direction or the weather is calm. This is the case in Senaki and should be changed. At present you can't land on all airfields in calm conditions IFR because the appropriate ILS's are turned off.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet