My favourite real world F/A-18 Case 1 video - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #21
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
The cockpit to me seems very much to scale. I do a little work in 3D and always draw in 1:1 scale, no reason not to, cannot see why drawing aircraft, aircraft cockpits, airports or cars would be any different in a 3D sim.

Also, many here zoom back to far to have more view, if you set the zoom to real size it should look like you looking through a small box the size of your monitor, then it will look to scale.

In VR the cockpit looks and feels that small, I tried to capture it here recording the Oculus Mirror screen. Sort of shows it.

Go full screen with the video and you will get an idea.

Rightly so David.

You Vr videos depicts the scaling very well.
The real pilot do not have the leisure of zooming back and forth like we do. So the zooming changes the perception in the 3D cockpit.

Last edited by Eaglewings; 08-15-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #22
wrl11

Default starting video

On the video of him walking around and then starting the aircraft, it looks like he is doing alot more stuff then we have to do. He is entering alot of data in the UFC and button pushing alot on the MFDs before the canopy comes down. It looks like the FCS page is up on the left, anyone know what he is entering/configuring?
wrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:36 AM   #23
JAR VFA-113 STINGERS

At one point it looks like he goes thru a bunch of stuff on the UFC turning it all on.

I love that pre-flight / start up one too. Being able to see the time it takes to walk out on the deck and do all that stuff without bits cut out.
The rocket training flight is also amazing for these reasons.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #24
Eaglewings

https://youtu.be/o8Ltmuu1RNo

I watched this video and was fascinated by the guy signaling the hornet pilot during pre-flight checks and startup.
Just music to my eyes.
What are they called? I guess they and the pilot attended a special training school for what each movement represent.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #25
MooneyTail

Sorry for the delayed response! Having never had a tanker option available, I never really paid attention to those procedures so I'm probably not the guy to ask about that stuff, but I'll tell you how I understand it works.

Hopefully you would have managed your gas so that you aren't staring a fuel problem in the face once already in the stack. Marshal will ask you your fuel state one last time when you do the "See me" comm described above. Additionally, you are supposed to let the boss know on Button 1 if you are going to be "Tank+1 (pass) on the ball" meaning that you have this pass and one more before you reach your tank fuel state and have to hit the tanker. If you end up hosting Bolterfest 2018 and reach your tank state, you're supposed to depart the stack almost like you're doing a Case 1 departure and once outside of the stack, climb up to meet the tanker. I am almost positive they just keep holding overhead so you'd be hitting the tanker in a turn. Again, if someone has more accurate information on this feel free to correct me.

It's a big faux pas to arrive late to the stack, but if you do, you will basically be put in the penalty box and will probably get relegated to the top of the stack, or Boss will be directive and put you cross circle from the Hawkeye or something like that. Due to the large size of the Hawkeye, most Bosses like to land them last or second to last with the tanker being the last, just because of the deck space issue.
It's actually not unusual to see the tanker cut in front of the Hawkeye in the stack for the above reasons. Their only responsibility of the tanker is to make it obvious to the Hawkeye crew that the tanker is their new interval.
MooneyTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #26
Mule

Quote:
Eaglewings The cockpit is actually much smaller than what we see in sims.
That really struck me too. Elbows are almost tucked in. I was thinking perhaps this pilot must be particularly big or something but he would have to be REALLY big in that case.

I just read about zooming back to far etc. That's a good point I will try that when I get a chance.

Last edited by Mule; 08-17-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #27
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooneyTail View Post
Sorry for the delayed response! Having never had a tanker option available, I never really paid attention to those procedures so I'm probably not the guy to ask about that stuff, but I'll tell you how I understand it works.

Hopefully you would have managed your gas so that you aren't staring a fuel problem in the face once already in the stack. Marshal will ask you your fuel state one last time when you do the "See me" comm described above. Additionally, you are supposed to let the boss know on Button 1 if you are going to be "Tank+1 (pass) on the ball" meaning that you have this pass and one more before you reach your tank fuel state and have to hit the tanker. If you end up hosting Bolterfest 2018 and reach your tank state, you're supposed to depart the stack almost like you're doing a Case 1 departure and once outside of the stack, climb up to meet the tanker. I am almost positive they just keep holding overhead so you'd be hitting the tanker in a turn. Again, if someone has more accurate information on this feel free to correct me.

It's a big faux pas to arrive late to the stack, but if you do, you will basically be put in the penalty box and will probably get relegated to the top of the stack, or Boss will be directive and put you cross circle from the Hawkeye or something like that. Due to the large size of the Hawkeye, most Bosses like to land them last or second to last with the tanker being the last, just because of the deck space issue.
It's actually not unusual to see the tanker cut in front of the Hawkeye in the stack for the above reasons. Their only responsibility of the tanker is to make it obvious to the Hawkeye crew that the tanker is their new interval.
Thanks MooneyTail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
That really struck me too. Elbows are almost tucked in. I was thinking perhaps this pilot must be particularly big or something but he would have to be REALLY big in that case.

I just read about zooming back to far etc. That's a good point I will try that when I get a chance.
I have a 27inch screen @ 1440P, it "looks right" at about 75 Fov zoom. Hit Left Ctrl pause twice to show FOV.

77 FOV in this pic

A Usable balance and standard reset on my HOTAS. I have it at 85 + move position forward back in seat to see the frame (Shoot cue etc) then save.

85 FOV in this pic

I can still zoom back or forward and reset as the controls are all on my HOTAS for easy access, you need these controls close to get the most out of the sim I believe, because of the monitor limitations when simming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fov85.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	192220   Click image for larger version

Name:	fov75.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	192221  

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #28
danny875

This is what I try to aim for as far as field of view goes, hard with just a 27”monitor, just a more realistic camera FOV.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrez7A9g2SI
danny875 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #29
FZG_Immel

this one is pretty cool

Asus MB - Intel I7 @4.4ghz - 6gb DDR3 Kingston - ASUS 1080ti STRIx - Cougar FSSB + Cougar NN_Dan + Warthog - Saitek Combat Pedals - Track IR5
FZG_Immel is offline   Reply With Quote